JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z comes back!?

Frenetic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay said he retired cause hadn't anything more to say. He was finished with topics. He didn't want to milk it anymore. He wanted to do good personal songs, but he had no more inspiration.

But, that was before his whole life turning around. he got into a fight with his best friend, he solved the Nas thing, He became the CEO of Def Jam, got dissed by Cam'ron and alot more.

There is alot to talk about now.

I'll always consider TBA as his second best album. It's just perfect, got those fun, happy, positive songs, and the more deep personal. He got newschool beats and topics, and he got Rick Rubin on a track.

He had his new a bit slower flow, but ended with his wonderful, groundbreaking, super flow in My First Song.

The Album didn't get boring or repetitive as Nas's Street Disciple, or Game's album or Jay's other albums (Except Blueprint). It was short and powerful.

I don't see a problem with him returning as long as he makes good music. Can Y'all?

can you blame him for taking the chance to perform with Paul McCartney at the grammys ? ... I Can't :hmm:

Dude can lie to me as much as he wants. Just as long as he drops it like it's hot...

Well didn't Will retire after "Code Red" and then sell a ****load when he came back and released "Big Willie Style"? Will did it wrong though, he shoulda said he was retiring before he dropped "Code Red" so that'd sell 10 million too... :kekeke: Jay always sells a lot though, the albums before he retired sold millions too, that wasn't even his highest selling album, retirement had nothing to do with it and if the people don't like this new album as much as "Black Album", it'll sell less than "Black Album", "Black Album" sold millions 'cause people liked it...

On the other hand Eminem said he was retiring and his album sales have dropped compared to what he used to do, he used to sell 10 million with every album he dropped, I don't see anybody running out to make "Encore" sell 10 million like his other albums, you figure with him retiring before his greatest hits came out it'd break 2Pac's record for the highest selling greatest hits album in rap history and sell 10 million but it's only platinum and falling off the charts, lol, maybe he'll see nobody misses him and he won't comeback... I don't like it when people say that people only bought 2Pac's albums 'cause he died but how did TLC's sales do after Left Eye died? How much more did Boggie Down Productions sell after Scott La Rock died? How much did Rev. Run's album sell after Jam Master Jay died? How did Big Pun's catalog do after he died? I could go on and on, a lot of artists die but that doesn't mean they sell either, that's a myth too 'cause most of the time it don't work, for every 2Pac that dies sellin' a lot there's hundreds of Big Puns who don't sell much after they die, I think if Pac was alive he'd still sell a lot too but maybe after a while he wouldn't sell much either but that's what happens most of the time when artists get older anyway.... There's a lot of misconceptions in music sales, it's unpredictable, lots of people who act make albums too but that don't mean they sell like Will does....

Edited by bigted

Well didn't Will retire after "Code Red" and then sell a ****load when he came back and released "Big Willie Style"? Will did it wrong though, he shoulda said he was retiring before he dropped "Code Red" so that'd sell 10 million too...

When did Will say that he had retired from music? I just thought he said he was going to take a sabbatical?

Yeah, if it turns out good, I`ll get it. If not I wont.

:word: If I hear it's good, I'm gettin' it, if not I won't, I'm not a fan of Jay-Z so I ain't gonna be buying it right away when it comes out... Jay-Z said that he never was gonna retire full time from music though when he released "The Black Album", he said he still was gonna be on remixes and mixtapes and stuff, he just said he wasn't gonna do another album but hey how could you honestly believe that anyway, if he's gonna be involved with mixtapes and things of that nature you figure sooner or later he was gonna do another album, I never bought into the hype, he'll probably be like LL and still rhyme till he's 60 'cause he loves to do music, he got his own label so he could do it more power to him, I'm sure there are a lot of artists that're his age and older that wish they could release albums but they can't afford to do it on that level, let him do his thing...btw, I think Tim posted up the interview one time if I'm not mistaken with Will saying back in '96 that he said there was no way he'll be making music anymore 'cause all the rappers are too gangsta, he didn't see any fun element in it anymore for him to be involved in it, he said he just wanted to do films 'cause he didn't wanna be involved in the rap war, the Fugees blowing up probably changed his mind, I think if "Code Red" sold 10 million that might've changed his mind 'cause that'd changed the rap game since it'd took away from the east-west drama and Will probably would've decided to drop something in '95 and all the albums would still be JJFP released through Jive, who knows how different hip-hop would be if that "Code Red" sold 10 million... I think the reason why he don't drop every year anymore is 'cause of the way the rap game has been over the last 12 years, maybe if the rap game was more balanced like the golden era Will might've thrown movies to the side more often... 4 years between releasing any music and performing is considered a more legitimate retirement than performing 2 days ago and say you're doing a comeback album, come on now? Like I said earlier I bet there's probably more people out there who didn't know that Will released an album last year than there is thinking Jay's not doing music anymore, if he dropped a remix album last year it'd outsold "Lost and Found", lol.... I'm sure more people bought into Will being retired than Jay-Z, only those who're living under a rock would say Jay's retired, Tim said that when he created this site that he thought it was just gonna be a tribute to Will's career without anymore music coming... I think artists should not say anything they retire, they should just stop doing music and we'll get the hint, like it's been 7 years since Slick Rick dropped an album so it feels like he's retired even though he didn't say that...

EDIT: If you're a Jay-Z fan you could go in the rocafella.com chatroom on February 15th at 5PMEST and ask him yourself about the album, I ain't interested but I figure I'd mention this since there's some Jay fans here:

http://www.rocafella.com/News.aspx?item=101202&sectionid=83

Edited by bigted

He's gonna do a Michael Jordan

it's in one of his songs on the black album

"perfect time to say goodbye ... when i come back like Jordan wearing the 45"