JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Not everybody's lovin I, Robot!!

Da Brakes

If you’re looking for a respectful meditation on the nature of robotics, or a simple summer movie free-for-all in “I, Robot,” here’s your chance to catch up on “Spider-Man 2” this weekend. Featuring an obnoxious and profoundly unfunny performance from Will Smith, and overrated director Alex Proyas showing off his inability to juggle a tepid detective yarn with required summer action mayhem, “I, Robot” is a messy experience, taking on way too much, and unable to pay off anything.

It is the year 2035, and robots have fully integrated into society, assisting humans in their daily chores, and bound by three rules of morality that they cannot break. When detective Del Spooner (Smith) is called in to investigate the suicide of a respected father of modern robotics, the signs soon point to homicide, with the perpetrator thought to be a robot named “Sonny.” Armed with clues that suggest a conspiracy at the robot manufacturing firm, Spooner, along with help from a robotic scientist (Bridget Moynahan, “The Sum of All Fears”), sets out to uncover the mystery behind Sonny on the eve of the largest commercial rollout of robots in human history.

What can make a Will Smith movie so utterly painful is when he falls back on simply playing himself. “I, Robot” is loosely (and I mean loosely) taken from the Isaac Asimov novel on the nature of artificial intelligence, but that’s where the logic and consideration for the source material end. “I, Robot” the film is more of a highly-caloric summer thrill machine, punctuated with spoon-fed plot points and grand Hollywood action set pieces. It’s many films all in one messy bundle, and almost nothing on display here is successful.

This being a summer Will Smith film, heaven forbid the actor plays an actual character. Detective Del Spooner is given the suggestion of a regretful past and a bionic future, and he’s also burdened with a deep distrust of machines; preferring the technology of 2004 to get him through the day. Other actors would have a field day with this type of rich character map laid out for them, but not Smith. “I, Robot” is yet another smart-alecky tough guy role for the actor, requiring nothing more from him than to share some stinky one-liners and look tough around a green screen. Granted, nothing of merit is written out for him by screenwriters Jeff Vintar and Akiva Goldsman, but Smith is all too content to randomly sassmouth his way through the role, spitting out the most inane and weary jokes since Arnold Schwarzenegger killed his career as Mr. Freeze in “Batman and Robin.” Smith is dreadful and cocky when the role needed insight and concentration.

When it’s not cracking wise, the rest of “I, Robot” is a highly detailed detective yarn, at times appearing like an unfilmed “Columbo” script. Overrated director Proyas (“Dark City,” and the atrocious “Garage Days”) has trouble delicately rolling out the mystery, so everything is explained to the audience at least twice in a row, and when that fails, “movie goes boom” to keep interest on the screen. An expensive picture, “I Robot” boasts some pretty spectacular CG work on the ‘bots of the title (“Sonny” looks amazing), especially when the film goes haywire in the climatic battle between the robots and Smith’s one-liners. But take the technology away, and the detective story is weak and overtly complicated, the drama interesting but halfway realized, and the moral on the true nature of intelligence and the danger of evolution only hinted at. The rest of the film is Proyas utilizing unnecessary camera moves (John Woo and Uwe Boll should sue) and stretching his film’s logic boundaries to a breaking point, which is odd since the script often appears to treasure is logical nature.

So what is “I, Robot?” An action film? Yes, but only in spurts. A mystery? At times, but nothing is left to chance. A mediation on the dangers of robotics and artificial intelligence? Maybe in the press kit, but certainly not in the film. “I, Robot” isn’t a disaster, just a mess. And the last thing in the world it needed to be was a Will Smith summer comedy.

My Rating: D

:nhawong: :nhawong: :nhawong:

[quote]profoundly unfunny performance from Will Smith[/quote]

Didn't anyone tell them it aint a comedy? :nhawong:

Will always gets slaged off for his films. Cos he is a rapper so therefore can not act (view of the average small minded film reviewer). Cos it's impossible for someone to be good at more than one thing aint it? :dunno:

Most reviewers just talk from their arse. Edited by the real big willie

Dose anybody really care what this guy has 2 say?!? Certinly not me. :roll:

There's no way 2 please eveybody and this review kinda reminds me of the ones they had for ID4. Since i didn't read those novels, i selfishly don't care what they did 2 them in the movie...i just want a good movie. The only thing that the article says that kinda concerns me is something i waz already thinkin' myself. Will's character seems 2 be so bitter and angry about the whole robot situation that he may come off as a slightly un-likable character. Oh well, i can't wait 2 see this movie.

[quote]Overrated director Proyas[/quote]WHAT!!!!
The man that directed the strange but good "Dark City" and one of the greatest films EVER, "The Crow"?

This reviewer is a penis head.

:poke:

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Jul 15 2004, 08:09 PM] Will's character seems 2 be so bitter and angry about the whole robot situation that he may come off as a slightly un-likable character.[/quote]

That is what I am looking forward too. I'd like to see Will playing a bad guy for a change. To be honest, I'm getting a little bored with his hero stuff. Lets see him do something different for a change. Edited by the real big willie

[quote=the real big willie,Jul 16 2004, 01:53 AM][quote=JumpinJack AJ,Jul 15 2004, 08:09 PM] Will's character seems 2 be so bitter and angry about the whole robot situation that he may come off as a slightly un-likable character.[/quote]

That is what I am looking forward too. I'd like to see Will playing a bad guy for a change. To be honest, I'm getting a little bored with his hero stuff. Lets see him do something different for a change. [/quote]
Well, he's obviously a hero...but his character seems 2 have a real sarcastic bitter kinda personality. I don't care if he has attitude, i just don't want him 2 be unlikable. Jack Nicholas as the Joker in Batman waz a bad guy...but he waz waz really likable...probably the best thing in the movie. I just don't Will 2 be unlikable. Seems impossible, huh. :dunno:

Well, one reason these critics write reviews like this is 2 get attention. Which gets more attention and creates more of a buzz, the good reviews or the bad? Either way...people that have almost NOTHING good 2 say about a movie, even if it's not that good, just don't take the time 2 relax and enjoy it!! I can guarantee if this person stopped thinking about all the negative things they were gonna write in their review...they'd enjoy it much more. We all would.