JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith will be certified platinum

Frenetic

will said that he wants time to rest though, as long as he does some work on music during this downtime i'm happy, he deserves to have a break like everyone else and enjoy some of his success

Edited by bigted

Good to hear that the album is going to be certified platinum. I don't really understand why it is measured by albums shipped, not sold. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy it is going platinum, but the system doesn't seem to make sense, it should be measured on how many albums are sold.

I think Will got gold plaques for "Born To Reign" and "Code Red" even though they sold only like 200,000+ but hey he deserves every plaque he gets 'cause he works hard... If you think about it though it evens out with the bootleggers and the illegal downloads that don't get tallied, it'd probably add up for a 200,000 album to sell 500,000 and a 700,000 to sell 1,000,000...

Edited by bigted

will could've released more singles and sold a lil' more but 'cause of his clean image he probably wouldn't outsell 50 Cent or Game no matter how much i'd like him to, he could release 5 singles but it's not a guarantee it'd sell even 2 million 'cause there's a whole competition of 100 gangsta/crunk songs on the radio out at the same time, this album's not as radio friendly as even the black eyed peas who're basically the other non-gangsta/crunk hip-hop artists selling, he could sell millions again if he made every song like "if you can't dance" and "switch"... Common had all that hype plus 3 hit singles and only did 750,000, he should've done better than that, sadly he wouldn't gone gold if it wasn't for kanye who's the hot hitman on the producing board/mic right now who went double platinum but that'll wear down after awhile, but you think about it everybody else in the commercial rap market is either gangsta or crunk, seriouly it's hard to find a market for real mcs like will, if mc hammer and heavy d weren't big then maybe "summertime" wouldn't have been such a big hit either at that time, times changed, it ain't that diverse market in hip-hop anymore, so it's a great comeback that has me anticipating more...

Switch got it's fair ammount of play...but a station can only play a song for so long, and 6 months is too long. It's not ALL the labels fault though, so lets not go absurd dissin interscope, everytime something happens.

Edited by Vipa

that's what i'm saying though, how could you expect will put up big numbers if the media resists him? he outsold a lot of rappers that got heavy rotation on mtv and black radio stations, i swear everytime i turned on hot 97 last summer i heard them play fat joe's "get it poppin'" but yet he didn't even go gold, will could've easily bricked with no support from the media, maybe the live 8 and the nba finals performances saved the album... it's industry politics holding will back, i mean how the hell could fat joe get a top 10 on trl and 106 & park selling 200,000 albums while Will sells 600,000 and can't make the countdowns? would fat joe sell anything if they didn't play him? hell no, he only sells 'cause of spins but not that many people really wanna hear him, they jump on the bandwagon when something gets played a lot, people buy will's album 'cause they respect his talent, not marketing and promotion, now if he had a lil' bit of promotion there's no question that "lost and found" would've scanned platinum on 'switch' alone if it got in the top 10 on trl, 106 & park, and black radio, plus getting on the cover of the source or xxl, but that ain't happening though, will might have to punch a sucka out to play him, lol... people wanna see will's videos more than fat joe's of the game, it's obvious since more people buy will but the media don't play them though but will don't fit the radio format as a clean artist, "black radio/they don't play me though/even though the fans went out and bought enough/guess they think will ain't hard enough"

Edited by bigted

That's true, with all the downloading and bootlegging, he probably would have sold over a million if it wasn't for that.

I'm hundred per cent sure that if Tell me why gets released, he does like one late show apperance, a couple of radiostations, 2-3 shows. And the plat would be certified in sold albums too.