JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Podcast 4 Response

• Members

Julie mentioned in the podcast how she liked Born to Reign and I do argee that as an album it isnt as bad as many of us fans on this site say it is. Going through the tracks, i think it makes a pretty decent start with the title track, Act like you Know however is a bit of a stinker and I would probably put it down as my least favourite Will Smith song of all time! however tracks like I Can't Stop, Black Suits Comin', Block Party, Gotta Go Home, Momma Knows, etc are okay. I think the main problem with the record as a whole is that its just not really Will Smith music. At the time I thought it main problem that Will was perhaps just too damn happy! His personaly life was as sorted as it could be with Jada and his kids, career all virtually perfect, so what was there to rap about? So Will basically made an RnB album and he isn't RnB, he's hip-hop old skool and proud of it. That's where it went wrong from my point of view, that's why Lost and Found is such a great album because he has found his niche again and has a lot more to say. It's a totally more organic and freeflowing record. But saying that maybe its time we put Born to Reign down as Will's worse but lay off it knowing that his records form now on are going to get better and better

I just put this in the Original thread, so i thought I'd put it here :2thumbs:

A bit of feedback I do have about the podcast is when Julie said that Born To Reign was a good album because it was better than the majority of other artists material at the time of its release. I agree with that 100%, and I respect and understand your opinion, but with that said, I think the reason we all disliked Born To Regn was because we compared it with previous WS material which was obviously superior. We can compare WS to other artists all we want, but at the end of the day its the standard that he sets for himself that matters, not how he compares to other rappers. And fact is, to WS standards Born To Reign was never gonna live long in the memory because he produced better before, and now he has produces much better after. With Lost & Found being arguably lyrically the best album he has released. Just my take on that comment and my opinion on the situation.

yeah big willie i agree, like i said i think its Wills weakest album. And its nothing compared to lost and found, but saying that b2r wasnt bad. I just dont think it deserves the slating it gets.

I guess i prefer it more than most other fans is bcoz im into RnB, it was quite an RnB album and so if thats not your thing then i guess u wouldnt like it.

yeah big willie i agree, like i said i think its Wills weakest album. And its nothing compared to lost and found, but saying that b2r wasnt bad. I just dont think it deserves the slating it gets.

I guess i prefer it more than most other fans is bcoz im into RnB, it was quite an RnB album and so if thats not your thing then i guess u wouldnt like it.

:iagree: I'm into RnB too so that's also why I like the album

It did have some decent tracks. Also I think the main lack it had was no Jeff. If it had Jeff scratching instead of certian beats, or Jeff producing the beats certain song would of sounded a lot more interesting, and a lot more like a JJFP/WS track. As it stand that is the only WS album that hasnt got quality from start to finish. I think we do get too caught up in that fact that Jeff doesnt appear, and that kind of takes a shine away from the music is actually like, but lyrically I dont think he turned up on the album at all. Thats just my opinion, I like an R 'n' B feel to certain rap songs, but it just didnt seem regular WS music. And Tra Know appeared way too much. But its not good for us to like the same things, so differences of opinions are a good thing. My personal opinion is its not what I expected from a WS album.

Edited by Big Willie

I think it would be stupid 2 shun the album. I just think it should be used in moderation. After visiting various message boards over the years, there are alot of fans who lean more towards R-N-B and Pop music who love the album. Born To Reign, Act Like You Know, How Da Beat Goes, Give Me Tonite, and Momma Knows are amoungst the best trax FP had done. It would be an insult 2 FP and his fans 2 pretend the album didn't happen.

• Members

Sorry for that one.... but Born to Reign was a huge dissapointment for me.. i am honest....

Just another reason.. for critics to say will wants to milk the cow with every movie he has made..... I mean the combination of Movies with Cds...

Okay it was made... and has maybe 2 good song.. but the rest.. was really bad....

My opinion!

Well the idea of the podcast is to get people to recognise JJFP for all the great things they've done so we shouldn't get too critical on what they've done wrong 'cause all the great artists have made sub-par songs/albums in between, not just JJFP so don't be so critical, but I don't see nothing wrong with a lil' crtical points in between, like I think "And In This Corner..." deserves a lil' criticism too since it's JJFP's worst album, it makes discussion more interesting.... :wiggle:

Edited by bigted

• Admin

I think the people listening to the podcast are will smith fans..if you arent a fan why would you listen? and I think they would understand born to reign is wills worst album..but we've run this argument into the ground over the years so I'm just gonna move on.. :wiggle: