JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Was Eminem Worth Responding To...?

bigted

23 members have voted

1. 1. On Mr. Nice Guy?

• Yes
    • No

i remmeber when Lost and found was due to come out and the news of the "diss" was hovering around the internet a lot. i think it bought extra attention to lost and found. Even tho Will only did a couple of lines, it just gave lost and found that extra publicity.

nothing bad ever came of it, and it made me feel better lol.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will don't need hype from controversey to sell "Lost and Found", it's arguably the deepest album he's ever done, he just needed to release the right songs and it would've sold much more, I mean if he had a lot of these deep songs come out as singles, this album would've sold more than 50 Cent, it'd been something refreshing for the airwaves, there's a lot of people that like Will but weren't aware that the album came out 'cause it wasn't promoted well, personally I think performing "Tell Me Why" at Live 8 would've had more impact than Will saying in his interviews that he had "something for Em"....

He sold as many albums as Biggie with "Big Willie Style" in '97/98 even when there was all the controversey over Biggie's death, Will's sold over 30 million albums in his career without controversey so why does he need it now? "Why should I try to sound like y'all sound, that's what's wrong with the rap game right now", "Encore" outselling "Lost and Found" doesn't mean Eminem's a better mc than Will either 'cause most of the people who bought "Lost and Found" enjoy it and most who bought "Encore" thinks it sucks, Will's the realest mc 'cause the people who bought his albums were moved by him and that's what a real mc does, even with only a gold plaque to show for "Lost and Found" he could hold his head high that he was able to touch people, record sales ain't a measuring stick for who's the realest, Em probably feels embarassed he put out such a weak album with no subject matter no matter if he got a plaque saying he sold 5 million,lol, he sold out from his style on his earlier albums and that don't make him much real now but if he has a heart he'll change his ways, personally if he don't I don't care, if he does I don't care either 'cause I ain't a fan of Eminem and I never was 'cause I don't think he's real but hey some people don't think Will's real either I guess, at least the ignorant youth like Bow Wow, lol, maybe Will should make a song about him next, lol. "Born To Reign" was weak for Will's standards too but he still had a lot of heart in it unlike "Encore". Shady should just retire so we don't have to hear anything from him anymore, lol, Will should never retire though... I actually don't want Will to say nothin' about Em and Em shouldn't say nothin' about Will, Will should just "Wave 'Em Off", I love that song so much better than "Mr. Nice Guy" now. I don't wanna have to compare Will and Em so much anymore, I just prefer Will over Em, end of story, when 2006 starts I don't feel like getting into details about it like this, I'm getting it out now....

Who knows though maybe that's the only reason why Jimmy Iovine allowed Will to release the album, he probably told Will to mention Eminem in his interviews or else he'll dropped, lol, but with it going gold even when the hype quickly died proved that Will don't need the hype 'cause he got talent and enough out there respect that even if it wasn't promoted that well, Will outsold some that had airplay on BET more often than him, even if Eminem and Will shake hands on stage one day like Nas and Jay-Z did there'll always be some that'll prefer one over the other, like me no matter what I'll always think that Will and Nas are better than Jay-Z and Eminem. It's like the Bulls vs. the Knicks, Will's the one with the Bulls' like dynasty but Eminem's the bitter rival like the Knicks, lol, when the cameras go off them they're cool wit each other probably....

I ain't gonna front, I wanted to see Will turn into 2Pac on one track and just "Hit Em Up", lol, if he cursed they could edit it like "Tell Me Why", for all the crap Em's done to commercial rap, I was a lil' dissapointed when I found out Will only did one line towards him, I was hoping it was gonna be punchline after punchline after punchline like "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" or "Uhhh", except with Eminem references, it was too short in my opinion, he's capable of doing more than that if he wanted to, some people thought that it was weak 'cause they wanted to hear a diss song, a lot don't like Eminem and wanted to see him destroyed, lol. Will should've said that "Lost and Found" was for Em, that track's much more powerful if people checked for that one instead, he could've said "Lost is 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, and Eminem", I forgive Will though 'cause he gave us a classic but if this was another "Born To Reign" I'd be pissed. Em deserves to get ripped in my opinion, especially if he's keeps on putting out crap, maybe if he disses LL one day, LL'll come harder. he should be thanking Will that he sparred his dying career, Shady wishes that he could have somebody over 18 years old respect him again, lol....

Edited by bigted

I dont remember WIll is his interviews on the radio saying he had a diss 4 Em..I remember him saying that he was responding about the whole Em diss towards him thing. Then ppl took it as Will is gonna diss Em on his album but of course he didn't. Even in his radio interview he said that he respects Em and he believe's that Em is still a JJFP fan. Will wishes no ill will towards Em.

I voted yes. Cos Will was just saying what he felt at the time of the diss and how he didn't let that bother him. I like the track I think its cool. Aj put it best he was funny without being tasteless.

I remember all the Eminem Stans going on the Lorettaboard sayin' that Eminem was gonna kick Will's ass :rofl: I got sucked into the hype at that time, I really wanted to see Will rip the crap out of Eminem on "Mr. Nice Guy" after that even though Will said he wasn't gonna say much about Eminem, nobody paid attention to that though, I got into the hype too, that's why I was dissapointed it was just a one-liner after all that hype, I didn't care if he turned into Mike Lowrey or Tupac Shakur on that track, in fact I was hoping Michael Jackson would make a surprise appearance on it too after Eminem made fun of him in "Losin' It", a lot more would've bought the album if that happened 'cause the people would be getting what they want, I read quite a few people on forums saying that "Mr. Nice Guy" was a weak diss, a lot probably just downloaded the track and didn't buy the album anyway, so that hype was worthless, it'd been better if he had the radio play "Tell Me Why" on the radio before the album dropped but nearly a year later people didn't hear that track, Will's promotional team sucks, lol.... But Will probably listened to "Encore" and re-did with one line since Em ain't an mc anymore, Em probably can't even make a comeback to one line now, that's why he's retiring.... :willvspaparazzi:

Edited by bigted

Well Will was a top battle rapper in Philly when he came in the rap game, he has the skills to handle Eminem or any mc in the game if he needs too, I don't think any mc would ever dedicate a whole song dissin' Will, they might just say one or two lines or talk crap about him in an interview but they wouldn't ever wanna step on stage with him in a battle 'cause they know they'd lose, if Eminem brought the limited skills he showed on "Encore" or his limited skills in that battle with Ja Rule....

Will'd destoyed him easily 'cause "Lost and Found" is arguably Will's most lyrical album, Will's getting better with age while Em's slowing down, Em should be thankful that Will's a nice guy though 'cause Will could've easily finished him off, it would've been a tight battle if Will responded in 2000 though 'cause Em was on top of his game then with his 1st 2 albums while Will was on top with his last 2 albums as well, that could've gone down as one of the greatest battles of all-time, but the kids would probably choose Eminem anyway even if he got his ass kicked 'cause he's gangsta, I think Ja Rule was right there with him in that battle, Canibus held his own too, some don't know skills if it hit them, "Mr. Nice Guy"'s probably one of the weakest on "Lost and Found" but it's harder than any song Em's done lately, lol....

Em was worth responding to 5 years ago 'cause he actually had a lot of skills then, I thought he was annoying but he definately was one of the top lyrical cats, I could admit that even though I was never a fan(Stan, lol) of his, he ain't worth responding to now though, Will gave him too much credit, he don't have mad skills now, even his fans think he fell off but they still hang on his balls anyway 'cause he's the top white rapper, it'll take a white gangsta rapper to finish him off in the public eye(like if Vanilla Ice's diss song to Em got on the radio, lol) but he's already irrelevant in most hip-hop circles. Eminem would have trouble battlin' Bow Wow and Britney Spears let alone Will, lol....

Edited by bigted

• Members

I don't see why Will shouldn't bring it up if he feels he wants to say it. There certainly isn't a problem with it, i reckon it might have got loads of attention if Mr. NIce Guy came out and did really well but its basically a solid album track and i think it works.

Chjeck out my Will inspired album:

http://www.soundclick.com/tommyjhawgood

Early Eminem, when he was hungry and fresh with ideas could have brought on a close competition against the fresh Prince on a rap battle but thaere hasnt been anything of the same league ever since "The Marshall Mathers LP". I feel Will had to respond to Eminem not because of the song but because of dissing him on interviews.

Well Will was a top battle rapper in Philly when he came in the rap game, he has the skills to handle Eminem or any mc in the game if he needs too, I don't think any mc would ever dedicate a whole song dissin' Will, they might just say one or two lines or talk crap about him in an interview but they wouldn't ever wanna step on stage with him in a battle 'cause they know they'd lose, if Eminem brought the limited skills he showed on "Encore" or his limited skills in that battle with Ja Rule....

I don`t know if that realy would wok out. Eminem still can write if he want`s to. Look at Toy Soldiers. I know Will is a good battle Rapper but his Style is so difrent from Em`s that it would probably be even. Some like Eminems style and some Wills. They can`t realy compare. Same happened with the Batlle between Aftermath and the Murda Inc. Click. Ja, Blackchild and them are way more street than any of the Shady or G-Unit Click. So they battled in they`r hard style while Eminem and 50 where making fun of them caus they don`t sell as much records as them(As far as Eminem goe`s I sometimes think that boy got some anger mangement problems). Anway I would say Ja and his Homies totaly ripped them but there maybe are some Dude`s who think that Eminem ripped Ja by far caus they don`t like the Street Style Murda Inc. got (As far as 50 goe`s, i think anyone,who isn`t a Loretta from 50,knows that Ja and Blakchild ripped him.That was llike David against Goliat..Same hapened with Jada and Joe. The D-Block,TS,And Murda Inc. Camps are some good battle Mc`s for shure.).The same would happen to Will. When he and Eminem would battle that would be kinda crazy. Same for that diss Track Vanilla Ice made. I think it was pretty cool but it`s just so diffrent form what Eminem would make..

@ Ash Trey:

Eminem also made some good stuff after TMMLP. On the Eminem Show where a couple of good song like "White America". Encore at leats had 2, "Mosh" and "Toy Soldiers". But that are only his Albums. He was dope on some Mixtapes and in the battle against Canibus. The most recent good thing he spitter probably where the lines on the Biggie Duest Album, the Song with Busty Rhymes and his part on the "Lean Back (Remix)". I still think you can call Eminem a good Mc`s. You can`t judge him on his recent Albums. That would be like saying Nas is wack caus he made Nastradamus or saying LL is wack caus he made Phenomenom and 14 Shots To The Doom. Or Will with Borne To Reign.

Let me put it that way. I believe that Eminem can come back with a whol good Album (I don`t believe that he`s gonna stop). But I think he firts has to get his life back on the rails. If he can do that we might have some Slim Shady again.

Edited by Turntable

Will didn't have to respond, he has nothing to prove to Em 'cause he got fans of all ages and is a household name, Em can't say that when most of his fans are teenagers but he is a household name so he musta done something right, for Will to say something about Em must show that he has respect for Eminem and if Eminem makes fun of Will so much it's 'cause Will's an icon, Em likes to poke fun at famous people, he'll even diss himself too, he's just a crazy guy that shouldn't be taken seriously, lol....

Now I doubt that Will'd ever respond to Bow Wow 'cause he don't have a platinum plaque or rap fans don't respect him, unless of course Bow Wow grew up and actually gets some respect., then we might hear something from Will gradually, lol, Eminem is Rakim compared to Bow Wow... The hype between Will and Em was dead already though, Will actually already did respond in interviews 5 years ago when "Real Slim Shady" came out, Will laughed it off and said that he had no intentions in responding and figured that Eminem would be irrelevant in the rap game soon, well he's right basically 'cause after "Marshall Mathers LP" Em lost his rap fanbase, he only has pop fans now, I still think "Born To Reign" track was dedicated to Eminem too, Will mocked Em's flow on there and criticised gangsta rappers in that song, I like that song much better than "Mr. Nice Guy", he should've said that was for Eminem, but maybe he wasn't that confident about the "Born To Reign" album either to say something like that, lol...

Both Em and Will have had their ups and downs to be real but at this moment Will has the edge, in 2002 maybe Eminem would've had a slight advantage towards Will since Will was too much into his movies to put effort into aggressive rhyming when he was doing songs with Tra-Knox on "Born To Reign" but then again "The Eminem Show" wasn't no masterpiece either and Em had a hard time with Ja Rule and Canibus even when they weren't on top of their games at that time either so he'd barely beat Will then, from 1997-2000 Will was on top of his game and so was Em, and from 1986-1993 Will was dominating the rap game with Jazzy while Eminem was a Loretta on the sidelines watching, lol, so the overall edge goes to Will, if people'd actually compare their catalogs there's no comparison, Will has 4 or 5 classic albums out of 9 with one weak one while Em only has 1 or 2 out of 5 (counting "Infinite") with at least 1 weak one, only Stans would consider Em better than Will, most rap fans would call Will a legend before they'd Eminem, it'd be tight battle though if Em got hungry again and Will remains hungry like he is on "Lost and Found" but I doubt that'd happen now....

Edited by bigted

Hey AJ you need to understand that 99% of the people thought that Will was gonna diss Eminem when he said that he had "something for Eminem" on his song "Mr. Nice Guy", Will should've gave people what they wanted, hip-hop heads want Eminem's career to be finished, why back down, we all know that Will has enough talent and power to clean up the rap game, right?!!! He should've threw punchlines at Eminem, this is hip-hop dawg, people wanna be entertained, if Will threw some creative disses at Eminem people'd loved the track much better than they do now, only us Lorettas like "Mr. Nice Guy", most people think it's weak 'cause he didn't diss Eminem like you stated, "Husband, father, dissed by Eminem, did it bother him, yep but he classy, Big Will gets another 20 mil, walks right past 'E" is a weak response in my book even though it's true, and it's not like what Eminem said was that drastic to respond to in the first place, it was just a joke in a comedic song, if Eminem said "f*** Will Smith" in a more dramatic song then yes that's a foul diss, "Real Slim Shady"'s just a parody, I didn't take it serious when I heard it. And who gives a damn if he gets teenyboppers to say Will Smith sucks, they probably don't like Will anyway, Will don't need them, Fresh Prince is capable of doing much better than that and luckily he did better on the rest of the album or else hip-hop heads like me'd think it's time for Will to hang up the mic if that's the best he could do especially after the dissapointing "Born To Reign", I'm a fan but I'm also a realist, I don't think what anybody does everything perfect no matter how much I like them....

I was dissapointed 'cause if you say you're gonna respond to somebody you do better than that, Will'd been better off saying nothing in his interviews at all if he don't deliver what people expect, somebody with the power of Will has to stand up and destroy this studio gangstas, 2Pac would do it if he were alive, looks like nobody's man enough to do it though but I guess that's why people liked Pac so much, he wasn't afraid to go after people dissin' him no matter what the circumstances are, I was hoping that Will was gonna stand up to the G-Unit gimmicks and finish them off.....

I woulda liked to see Will reply to Eminem if it was done better than what was done on "Mr. Nice Guy", the song didn't make any impact though like it would've if Will actually took shots at Em.... :thumbdown:

Edited by bigted