JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Billboard's Top 200 Albums Of 2005

bigted

Here's the list, not bad at all considering how bad the promotion was and there was 1000s of albums that probably came out this year in music:

http://www.billboard.biz/bb/biz/yearendcha...005/tlptitl.jsp

I thought Will outsold Bow Wow, wtf?! :stars: Yeah there's a lot of garbage on this list, mostly what's on the radio all the time, probably some of the good stuff that never gets airplay didn't even make it on this list...

Edited by bigted

With thge lack of promotion and dis interest in the album, it comes a surprise that it actually made the list. But now that it has, maybe some people will notice Will is still rapping and can still spit it just as well if not better than ever. I'm happy he made the list, maybe not the position he deserves, but if he makes it thats something to be proud of. Some good stuff, some bad on the list, not bad overall. Thanks for sharing Ted :2thumbs:

Yeah this is pretty good to see Will on this list, this is music in general, it's not just a rap chart, it musta been a slow year in music if only 100 albums in the industry went at least gold, if it was only a rap chart I think I'd say there was about maybe 25 albums ahead of Will's but quite a bit of them came out late last year I believe like Nas', Eminem's, 2Pac's, Luda's, and Jay-Z/Linkin Park plus I think even other albums came out late last year too, but most of his rap peers his age probably wouldn't even make the top 200 rap album chart for the year so that's impressive to see that Will's still relevant in the industry, btw I wonder where "The Soul Mixtape" came in? lol....

Edited by bigted

Well if record labels gave the great albums more promotion then those at the top wouldn't do so well, this is the highest selling albums of the year unfortunately though, it's a sad state of the music industry when the top 2 artists are 50 Cent and Eminem, I wouldn't even consider them music artists... :paperbag:

Edited by bigted

It's a shame, 50's album is #1 while Will is at #102, it goes to show how messed up the music industry is and what kind of garbage sells today.

I think 50's more hype than anything though, he needed every bit of it, seriously if Will had that type of hype for "Lost and Found" it would've sold 10 million and blew everyone away by far, if 50 had crap promotion like Will I bet he wouldn't even have been in the top 200, a lot of people bought "Lost and Found" off of word of mouth like a great album would be but 50 wouldn't have that word of mouth, it was just that he was on TV so much people felt obligated to buy it but next year they probably won't even listen to it anymore....

Basically everyone ahead of him had a better promotion, a lot of people don't buy albums off of critical acclaim, Kanye had high ratings but let's be real if "Gold Digger" didn't blow up Kanye would've sold much less after his album came out, singles keep the hype for long term sales. "Switch" wasn't really that big when "Lost and Found" dropped either, but he was out there promoting it and everyone wanted to know what was what he had for Eminem when the album came out but the hype died quickly since black radio, TRL, and 106 & Park didn't play "Switch", only pop radio and I Tunes did, and especially once Will stopped performing, basically it was just word of mouth that sold "Lost and Found".

Little Brother was probably one of the top critical acclaim artists this year but they didn' t have any hits, hit singles sell records not critical acclaim, that's why 50 Cent sold so much, hardly anybody likes the album, they just like the singles, even a lot below Will had better promotion, they all had more than one hit single, it took Common 3 singles to barely outsell Will, Will only had "Switch", "Lost and Found" was probably one of the least promoted albums this year, if it had 50 Cent promotion getting 5 singles played at once on both pop and black radio he'd been #1 easily and 50 Cent wouldn't sell anything if he had Will's promotion, no hit singles wouldn't sell anything for 50, once he stops having hits his career'll be over 'cause his albums don't have critical acclaim....For "Lost and Found" to go gold was a miracle, Rev. Run wish he could say that but even with his reality show on MTV all the time he couldn't put up those numbers, btw you notice all the rap albums on that list, that shows you that hip-hop is now hip-pop, lol....

Edited by bigted

Yeah I remember a few years ago that the pop albums of the year used to sell 10 million copies, the music industry's really going down, remember that Beanie Siegal's album outsold Will's in the 1st week and he finished at #189, it proves that Will won the marathon and is still the king of Philly hip-hop, even with all the free publicity of being in jail couldn't help Beanie, BET actually focused on his trial more than Will's album I remember, lol

Edited by bigted