JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jazzy and Will making an album?

Guest Tommy J

Guest Tommy J

Okay so here is one thing I know for sure, everyone on this site wants a Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince album, and I am damn sure one of those people. We are all going to love it to bits, just the sentiment of it would make us worship it. Would it actually work and sell records though? Jazzy and Prince were making music in a completly different era, their emphasis was on having fun and relaxing, all that. These guys are now nearing 40. So it's sure as hell cannot be the same music, so what do they do? It just might be that as a duo there isn't as much to say any more because they are different men working in a different industry. They still both make wonderful tracks together: 'Here he Comes' 'So Fresh' are examples that perhaps they could make a whole album of class but would it sell records? I certainly can't be sure so it's a big risk for Will in particular to take. A tour would be a great idea however and is a completly different concept that must work and will make a lot of people very happy. Whatever the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff decide to do I'm sure it will be for the best and we will support them all the way.

well, they can do tracks like potnas, the rain or i'm coming. these are good examples for newer JJFP tracks. a new JJFP album with such tracks would be great!!!!!

...just imagine when you watch MTV, it won't say "Will Smith" as title anymore. instead of it, it would say "Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince"

The thing is Jeff likes to do things more on a low than Will does, him not wanting the fame anymore could be the reason why it's been so long we've been waiting so long for a JJFP album, even on "Willenium" too, it might've been Jeff's idea to have his name on the back of the album instead of on the cover, lol, that's pretty close to a JJFP album to me, even if we get something like that, I'll take that, even if I have to read the credits to find out that Jeff worked on all of it, lol... And of course we all know that Will's been doing too many films lately to properly promote his music, he always likes to do things for large audiences so I don't know if he'd be willing to do something just for a limited fanbase although he did say that he doesn't worry about record sales anymore but I don't know if I could believe that all the way 'cause he talks about how he wants to clean up the rap game, ultimately no matter if it's released an independent fanbase or commercial audience I'll be happy for it to drop and that's all I'd wanna see, another JJFP album, we have to see what happens.....

Edited by bigted

• Members

yeh we all wanna see them make another album and im hoping they do.. but seriously i think they wont be... wills to busy making movies all the time. the album lost and found did pretty good but i dont think it did as good as will wanted it too he mightve got discourage and gunna stick to movies. plus they are getting pretty old. they some real OGs

Realistically there ain't gonna be a lot of people who want a JJFP album, the rap game has changed so much since "Code Red", basically it was starting to change around then too, basically only hardcore rappers have high record sales, and now even a lot of the older rappers are getting pushed out of the scene as well, I can't really see a lot of people buying a new JJFP album but I think with a strong effort though they could prove people wrong, if Will takes the right amount of time off from filming and if Jeff is willing to get back in the spotlight again I believe they could do something that'd get more people into them, "Willenium" would've sold a lot more if "Potnas" and "The Rain" came out, those are universal songs that everyone'd like....

Edited by bigted

• Admin

people seem to think "Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince" cant sell records.. hes the dj has sold 3 million..at the time it was one of the first rap albums to ever go double platinum.. summertime was a huge hit..homebase sold plenty.. If Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince released a new track like Summertime it would be huge..most of the JJFP records outsold two of Wills solo records in lost & found and born to reign..in fact JJFPs greatest hits album outsold will smiths solo greatest hits album.. I think theres JJFP fans out there that are a lot more loyal.. and if they came out with a great hip hop track..people would notice..they could still put out sumthin of quality and sell millions of records they did the whole time they were a group :pony:

Why didn't "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" and "Homebase" fans buy "Code Red" then? A lot of them went to gangsta rap around that time, didn't they?.... A lot of people bought "Big Willie Style" and "Willenium" off of hype from Will's movies, but even a lot of them became Eminem and Dr. Dre fans and abandoned Will unfortunately, even through all that we could say that his movie career's killing him now, but it seemed to really help him then, it's the direction of the rap game that has hurt Will the most, if there were more positive rappers out there, "Lost and Found" would've done a lil' better, doing movies once in a while wouldn't be bad to continue to keep his career alive but when it's time for music, Will needs to use that time for music, not film between promotion. I don't know if Columbia would've gave Will a record deal if it wasn't for his success in movies, maybe if Jazzy was a big movie star they wouldn't shelve his album either, lol, movies opened the door for Will to come back, Will's always gonna have an audience 'cause of movies since it made him a household name.

Record labels'd sign him over Rakim anyday 'cause of his movie career, without it we probably wouldn't even thinkin' about another JJFP album coming out on the scene, there'd probably be only independent albums at this point like my man KRS if Will never made it big in movies, KRS used to go platinum 15 years ago but major record labels won't sign an artist for what they did 15 years ago unfortunately, it's a buisiness and they wanna see recent results, if that were the case Vanilla Ice'd be making a comeback album for millions again, lol... Plus knowing that "Lost and Found" actually did better than "Born To Reign" and "Code Red" gives hope that we might be getting a JJFP album as the 10th album for Will, it'd be only fitting, I don't know if Interscope would allow them to call it a "Jazzy Jeff+Fresh Prince" album especially since Jazzy hasn't been popular lately, it might be called "Will Smith Featuring Jeff Townes" album or they put produced by Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince on the back of the album cover like "Willenium", they could call it whatever they want, it's all good for me as long as it's good music, lol....

Edited by bigted

I think a JJ+FP album would do great. Since certain music fans stay away from FP's solo stuff, it makes some people that no one would be checking 4 their music. But i don't thinkt that's true. People of all ages and backgrounds respect JJ+FP. They just haven't had a way 2 support them as a group for over 10 years. I think the success of the album would surprise alot of people.

And Jazzy has no problem with being in the limelight. While he's doing his solo albums, mixtapes, touring, he dose them in a low key kinda way. He makes that choice. With JJ+FP, he's not a solo artist which is where he sits back and lets FP control the crowd. JJ+FP may be more marketable, but he uses that as his way 2 say low key 2 the masses....cuz we all know FP draws in all the energy he can.

The JJFP greatest hits obviously did better than the Will Smith greatest hits 'cause it was released around the "Big Willie Style" hype while the Will Smith greatest hits was released around the "Born To Reign" funeral, lol... Now as far as this JJFP album, if gangsta rap keeps dominating, I don't see it doing that much better than "Lost and Found" 'cause I think a lot of them original fans moved on, that's like saying Public Enemy would go double platinum again automatically if they went back to Def Jam, you need to constantly bring in new fans constantly.....

Edited by bigted

Well with Will saying in that he got at least a few more laps left in him for music now and Jeff's always talking about how they wanna do another album with Will, it's obvious that we're gonna get a JJFP album sooner or later, I have a feeling it's gonna happen next year.... :yeah: