JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Who is Kel Spencer?

Silver Tiger

I'd love to hear Kel rip it over a Premo track, that'd be heaven to my ears

I saw "Kel Spencer" on the wall in the Full Clip video ages ago and asked Kel about it. He said he was cool with Gang Starr so it's likely that they did put there as a shout out 2 him. Since he is cool with Gang Starr, I've always wondered whey they never did anything.

• 3 weeks later...

http://kelspencer.com/2010/11/02/spencerism-what-is-fpbk/#comment-389

Kel introduces to the world his fresh prince of brooklyn project. Interesting read. By the way there's a shoutout for the members of this forum in the definition song on the music player on the left side of the screen.

• 10 months later...

well it's been about a year now since we heard about the fresh prince of brooklyn mixtape and what happened???!! there hasn't been any music from him in a while...

That is his problem.. He does not have enough output, not even close.. Even tho he has been around for a while, he is in direct competition to people like Skyzoo and Reks and even newer guys like J. Cole. But they put out a lot of stuff, they are always somewhere on Producer Albums, they tour clubs and skateparks around the world and everything.. He will never stand out this way, I think he missed his chance

Edited by Turntable

i don't think he missed his chance quite yet since he got enough talent but it kinda seems like he's giving up and is frustrated that he doesn't have much buzz... i notice these days none of his posts on facebook are music related either, it'd be a shame if he never gets a chance to put out an album 'cause people need to recognise his talent...

well kel was releasing a new song every week on youtube a couple years ago but i notice they didn't get that many views/feedback, that probably bothered him, it's sad 'cause those songs were dope ish, a lot of good stuff's being slept on these days though, it took a legend like rakim 10 years to get his album released, hip hop's changed for the worse, i bet if jjfp was starting out now they'd have a hard time getting on too

a lot of times when rappers put out a lot of music at one time it sounds rushed, there is some exceptions like j. cole and b.o.b.,they both got jay-z and ti to co-sign them though, even though will put kel on "wild wild west" soundtrack and "uhhh" on "willenium" they didn't release those tracks as singles, maybe if they got released as singles then it'd be a different story today, there's still a chance though maybe if will gets involved with kel's mixtape or they release a single on will's album then he could get some more exposure that way

Why do artists have to put out hundreds and hundreds of songs to get a buzz? Why not just put together a quality album and promote that? You said Kel put his heart & soul into his music and stopped putting out? Well why not just continue to promote the songs you did instead of keep making new stuff. That defeats the purpose of the songs being made in the first place.

That is his problem.. He does not have enough output, not even close.. Even tho he has been around for a while, he is in direct competition to people like Skyzoo and Reks and even newer guys like J. Cole. But they put out a lot of stuff, they are always somewhere on Producer Albums, they tour clubs and skateparks around the world and everything.. He will never stand out this way, I think he missed his chance

Not enough output? What are the fans for? SilverTiger was his output. Tim Price was his output. Those kids who he spoke to in schools were his output. Even if Kel never does another thing musically again, he should be (and most likely is) satisfied and fulfilled with all he's done. He's stayed active and has done positive things with his life and in turn made an impact in peoples lives. He helped Will Smith write lyrics. Will Smith. Some people take off with the connections they get, and some don't. Everyone has different levels of success. His resume is impressive. Nowadays, nobody is just music. They are always doing something else.

yeah kel's the man regardless of what happens from this point on, like will said "why should i try to sound like y'all sound?/that's what's wrong with the rap game right now", regardless of what happens kel got respect from those who know him and that's what's most important, it don't matter you got 2 or 2 million fans as long as you remain true to yourself

Right, it really is a grind, and not everyone can have instant success. I kind of think of it like this, would you rather have an make music until the end of time (their time) or have them make timeless music, timeless classics. And "making it" is all up to the person, but I know what you mean when you say that Turn. There's a lot of things to do with that whole process.

a lot of hip hop artists from the 80s go around touring with their classic material here in 2011 and make a good living off of that without even putting out much new material 'cause there's an audience out there that just can't get enough of that timeless feeling, i can't picture a lot of the current artists out now doing that in 2030 since a lot of their music is like mcdonalds... i believe kel got more value as a true hip hop artist than your average platinum rapper cause he ain't selling his soul, the material he put out on his mixtapes is better than a lot of albums out there on the market and he's worked with a lot of big names in hip hop history like JJFP, Grandmaster Flash, Q-Tip, Teddy Riley, MC Lyte, and Lil' Kim, true heads already know what's up, sure he needs to keep the ball moving with another project and since he's a true head I'm sure he'll keep going since true artists never stop...