JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Who is Kel Spencer?

Silver Tiger

Okay, Okay, OKAY!

Got it in the mail today. It came with a note on a card. It goes over what he already said about being at a different level spiritually. In the end it's an apology for the second track "U CaN HaVe It." Because basically, if you like what he spits about nowadays this could offend you. It's also conflicting with what he says about God and balance in the CD insert. He signed his initials too so I thought that was a nice touch.

Overall it's a cool mixtape with my personal favorites being "The Streets Know That" and "The Pen, The Sword." He HAS gotten better over time but that's not to say he doesn't flow well on this. I've been keeping an eye out since Willenium and I couldn't figure out how to get this when I found out about in 2003 on his old website, so this is a big thing for me.

I'll be looking out for the album now. I ain't made of money so take your time.

Not too long though!

God Blessa!

• 4 weeks later...

Kel posted this bullatin on myspace:

I've made all 4 of my songs on my page available for download ONLY for the REST OF TODAY!!!

If you miss out on it today, please don't ask me again. Feel free to (1) download the FREE MUSIC, (2) tell a couple of friends so that they can get them too and (3) Repost this Bulletin so as many people know about this as possible. If anyone comes to me after today asking for Free Downloads IT'LL BE ALL YOUR FAULT!!!! LOL!!!

Enjoy...

PS... To Request and Hear "The Building" and "My Buddy"

Hartford CT Area Listen to 93.7 tonight starting at 10pm

Baltimore MD Area Listen to 88.9 tonight starting at Midnight

Indianapolis/ Bloomington Area Listen to 93.1 & 96.3 tonight starting at 8pm

• 2 weeks later...

So when is this Kel Spencer album dropping y'all? If that Who Is Kel Spencer? mixtape was an actual album it'd be one of the top 5 albums of the years in the rap game, that "The Streets Know That" mixtape is pretty hot too, I don't know why he thought "U Can Have It" would be offensive, I wrote a much more explicit rap about r&b chicks back in 2002 that I might be a lil' more ashamed of, lol, I said stuff like "I'mma make that Southern Hummingbird Tweet scream "Ooh" when I'm hitting that p---y, I know I could get Foxy hot when she's on top of my c---" really I'm trying to go away from being explicit these days as I'm getting more spirtual myself, I want to put out profanity free albums like FP and Kel do, I like bumpin' gangsta stuff like Ice Cube but that don't reflect my personality, I don't like using much profanity in real life so why put that in my music? The music has to represent me....

I don't think we'll see an album til 2008 at least. Kel is one busy guy. Maybe he's taking after Will too much. It's all in due time. And I know what you mean Ted, I keep the profanity to a minimum. If anything, it's once or twice in a song, and not even that serious. As a result, I've gotten a respect from a wider age group towards hip hop, at least mine anyway.

But let's keep it Kel. Hopefully, "My Buddy" will be on Musiq's album. You know how one minute, they say it is, and the next minute, it's not allowed to be.

Well, I'm guessing if the album is anywhere close to dropping, then "The Building" is the leading single. Maybe not though, the next thing he's got scheduled is the "Ladies, Who is Kel Spencer?" mixtape.

He's got the lyrics and the flow. If he lines up some nice production and ditches the mixtape interludes then his album could be a top album... whenever year that is.

God Blessa!

I thought he changed the "Ladies...Who Is Kel Spencer?" to "Live On The Air". He was gonna have people call in about stuff, and MC Lyte questions him, and we have great music from him in the process. (The Building, Absolutely Fabulous, It's A Shame, etc.) And then there is the documentary DVD, and of course he possible addition exposer on Musiq Soulchild's new album.

Well in 2008 Will's probably gonna release another album anyway if he keeps up with that album every 3 year pattern he's been on lately, maybe him and Kel should do a group album then, it'd be a big album if that happened, now Kel if you read this post and like this idea let me be a guest on it, lol

I think that would be a lil risky of a marketing move. Granted it would do wonders for Kel possibly, it might not do everything it should. After all, everybody wants to see Will with just one more album, but it's with "we all know who". Maybe Will and Jeff just don't know the demographic of how many people actual wanna hear a new JJFP. Actually let me rephrase that. A JJFP in 2000-something. It seems like the JJFP situation is kinda like the Black Star (Mos Def + Talib Kweli) They think people would really feel the maturity of them together again. "Born & Raise" and "Supreme, Supreme", wasn't as great as people wanted it to be. Me personally, I enjoyed those joints. It's no telling what can happen tho.

I trust the moves Kel is makin'. I mean, he knows his goals and what he wants out of music, and outside of music as well. I got a feelin' his track record will be pretty impressive when he's done with his career in music.

Well why can't Will+ Jeff+ Kel do an album together then? It could be a 2 MC's + 1 DJ thing like Run-Dmc