JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DMX says he's leaving Def Jam

bigted

I think this is a horrible move, couldn't he see how poorly they've promoted Will, Nas, Wyclef, etc.?!! :paperbag:

"DMX

DMX is currently cooling his heels at New York's Rikers Island, serving out a 70-day jail sentence. When X gets out, he'll be heading to a new home. After barking loudly on Def Jam since the late 1990s, he's called it a day and left the label. DMX has signed a deal with the Sony Music Group. You may recall that X was signed to Columbia (now part of Sony Music) in the early '90s but never released material."

DMX was retired for a while but last summer in interviews he was saying that he was working on a comeback album called "Here We Go Again", I think Def Jam kept pushing it back, Jay-Z probably doesn't want him to come close to his record sales I guess 'cause he basically put out as many albums that debuted on the charts at #1 as Jay did all 5 of DMX's did and I think Jay's last 5 did, if DMX puts out more #1s I guess that'd tempt Jay to come back again, lol. I guess that's what made X frustrated to leave the label and go to Columbia, but hey as long as he still records I'll keep supporting, he's one of the realest mcs, I don't think he'd sign with G Unit since 50's beefing with Jada, Def Jam'd promote it better but if Jay refuses to release it I could see why he'd leave....

Edited by bigted

He won`t go to G-Unit. DMX is a Ruff Ryder. He has his own Crew. But that people say that is normal since they say that about any MC that is looking for a deal,lol

What depends him leaving Def Jam. I can`t see why he doe`s that. Probably caus him and Jigga aren`t realy cool anymore..

@ Bigted:

Yes his Album got pushed back but that`s completly his own fault. He has to spend about 70 Day`s in prison. They nedd him out of that to make the album a major succes.

Edited by Turntable

It's actually the fault of both DMX and Jay, bottom line they just ain't as tight as they used to be, they both got their egos....

I read in a interview (that i posted here too) that DMX had problems with Jay being CEO. He couldn't handle getting orders from him.

Well it's better for DMX to move on then being unhappy taking orders from Jay, I don't think the veteran artists on the label like him or LL shouldn't have to take orders from Jay, LL actually has humbled down, if Jay was president around the time LL was battling Canibus, LL probably would leave Def Jam....

btw Juelz Santana said that he don't take orders from Jay-Z but they still allowed him to release his album so I don't understand why couldn't they release DMX's project? DMX is much more established than Juelz, he deserves more respect than that... Jay might be mad that DMX dissed Young Jeezy when he was on 106 & Park a few months ago too, who of course was one of Jay's recent signings in the last year, maybe Jay was gonna declare war on DMX...

Edited by bigted

Jay doesn't declare wars anymore =)

DMX isn't the most stable man in the universe... so I ain't really surprised if he never comes out with a album with him being a crackhead rightnow.

BTW, LL and Jay are really cool since they battled in the beginning of Jay's career (not a beefbattle, like a friendly rap freestyle-battle). LL said neither of them won and that's why he doesn't get mad if Jay calls himself the GOAT and respects him doing it.

The thing is that in Def Jam, Jay will be taking orders from LL. in that Rolling Stondei nterview, Jay bacially says his artists are free to do what they want and that LL is Def Jams most important artist and will be able to do whatever he wants.

We don't liike beefs... but we tend to want to see them happen. I think it's dope LL and Jay are cool, damn a collabo would be off the hook.

Edited by Frenetic

Well I read DMX's book and he said that he battled Jay in '96 around the time "Reasonable Doubt" dropped and DMX was still shopping for a deal....

Maybe he is on crack like Frenetic said or he ain't concerned with his record selling, he might be just jumping on the first offer since he wants to drop his album, he should wait longer till other labels call but basically other labels suck too, you can't win anyway, Def Jam is far superior from a hip-hop standpoint and if you ain't on there you ain't promoted that well unless u go to G Unit but they're faltering lately themselves...

I can't wait 2 hear something new from DMX. It dosen't bug me that he's leaving Def Jam 2 much. As his albums went on, the quality dropped. I'm hoping this new recording career will breathe some fresh air in2 his style. When it comes 2 gritty street stuff...DMX is one of the only cats u can trust.