JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"80% fans of hiphop are white, only 6% are black"

Damian

http://muzyka.onet.pl/mr,1216448,wiadomosci.html

It's news that Mobb Depp is going release new cd "Blood Money" on 21 March. Prodigy said:

"9 millions listeners is waiting at us, we want sell so much cds like Eminem. We know demographic data. 80% fans of hiphop are white, only 6% are black. Mobb Deep had & have support of street. But we hadn't interested white consuments on our projects. We had some white fans, but not so much like Em, 50 Cent & Dre have. We are beginning. Whole new generation is, we can reach for".

I didn't listen them many times, but personally I don't like theirs approach, they want comercial succes. It unpredicts nothing good for new cd.

But ok, miss it. I don't know if he said about only USA, or all world. HH was provided from black people. How it can be that there is so much blank between white & black hip hop listeners?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White consumers control hip-hop since it became commercial with "Rapper's Delight", before that it was just heard underground by a handful of blacks and latinos, that's bound to happen 'cause whites are the majority in the world altogether, hip-hop ain't just for blacks anymore, it's for everyone, but mostly everyone is made up of white people, even a lot of underground stuff is heard by white people who could buy mixtapes over the internet....

btw, Mobb Deep'll never sell 9 million, they'll be lucky to go platinum 'cause all G Unit projects've been floppin' lately...

Edited by bigted

White consumers control hip-hop since it became commercial with "Rapper's Delight", before that it was just heard underground by a handful of blacks and latinos....

"Rapper's Delight" was released in 1979? Right? It was so long time ago. But blank betwen listenrs is very huge. Stupid question: how much black people live in the USA? & how much of them listen hh?

"Rappers Delight" introduced hip-hop to white people around the world, in the US and World overall I think black/latino people make up like 10% of the population, might be even less than that....

"Rappers Delight" introduced hip-hop to white people around the world, in the US and World overall I think black/latino people make up like 10% of the population, might be even less than that....

oh, I see now. 10%, you wrote? hmm, it's not too much, I didn't realize about that. So from almost the begging, hip hop was controled by white customers? hmmm.... sad:(

um there is more then 10% in America because there are more blacks in America then Whites

if that's the case then why aren't white americans the minority? :hmm: ..Afr. Americans are a 13% minority in this country, check the stats

:word: According to the 2000 census, in the US, of single race individuals (97.6% of the population), white accounts for 75.1% and black is 12.3%

Mobb Deep had a lot of street cred, never huge sales, but I guess the way they're talking they might as well sell out all the way and do an album with Britney Spears if they want that 9 million.... :rofl: I think singing to G Unit very much killed it already though 'cause basically only white teenagers listen to G Unit now, it's obvious that they were heading down that way, they didn't have to say it though since you could see it...

Most black/latino peeps are low income so they might not be able to buy official albums, most probably don't even have computers so they just go by what's on the radio/TV/word of mouth, white consumers on the other hand control it 'cause they could go to concerts, buy the albums, etc. since most are in the middle class.... If you look that's why Beastie Boys have had more success than any rap groups, they even outsold Run-Dmc but I never really hear them in discussion when it comes to great hip-hop groups for some reason even though in my opinion they deserve to be, their greatest hits is outselling Rev. Run's album, Eminem's selling more than 2Pac but I don't think too many hip-hop heads consider Em on Pac's level although he's a lil' more popular with hip-hop heads than Beastie Boys which is a shame, it sucks though that his greatest hits even outsold Will's "Lost and Found" already in just 2 weeks although there's probably more black people bumpin' "Lost and Found" than anything Em's done in the last 5 years, white people could relate to the white mcs better but that doesn't mean they have the most street cred, btw Britney's husband'll probably be gunning for Em's spot since he'll probably get a guest appearance on Britney's next album, lol....

Back in the days before "Rappers Delight" their used to be free block parties in the Bronx that mostly blacks and latinos would attend, maybe a few whites in between, hip-hop as a buisiness wasn't profitable at all at that point... Street cred don't equal record sales, look at how low Rakim and KRS-ONE have sold but yet their names always come up first when it comes to best mc from those in the urban communities, most white people never even heard of them though ....

Edited by bigted

• Members

technically whites are minotrites bacaue they arent originals of america plus they are not becuase latinos in america are spreading and that is makingtes now a minority..... i think mobb deep will sell more because they are reele good dey spit fire but they are hardly ever on tv u never seen dem in videos or on rap city or 106 and park and not to mention trl now that they are in G-unit the most commerical u can become i htikn there record cell will go up by introducing them to new white fans

Edited by maddblock

I give Rapper's Delight a lot of credit for bringing attention to rap, but I give Will and Jazzy more credit for bringing in the white audience. Rapper's Delight was hot but most white people still couldn't relate to the hip hop message. Will and Jazzy made them relate. They hit the middleclass. Also, it didn't become dominated by white consumers until the 90's. You can credit Dre for clearing the way for the massive percentage switch.

Hold let me go back and edit it! :pony: :lolsign: btw how are we wrong Cozmo D? Enlighten us...

Actually I think Beastie Boys have more to do with bringin' hip-hop to white audiences than JJFP or even Run-Dmc for that matter, they were the first hip-hop artists to ever release a triple platinum album, that album still sells to this date selling 9 million altogether which is the highest for any '80s hip-hop album so they probably do have more credability than Em if "Licensed To Ill" is still sellin' after all these years, they deserve more credit than what they get...

Edited by bigted