JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Some seames on clean Will S. image?

Damian

did Will not pay u for the baseline from jam on it. i know he gave u credit tho right?

Yep. Most people have no problem paying and giving credit when it is rightfully owed. Though Will and I have never met, we have run in adjacent circles for a long time.

Think about this though, if I use a lot of samples for recording an album, I might not come away with much profit, especially if my album doesn't sell that much, Will probably spent a s***load recording "Born To Reign" with all them samples on it so when it flopped, that took a hit on his wallet unless he owns his masters but even if he don't, at least he has a movie career to fall back on and his resume is strong enough to have other labels knocking at his door, but I might not be able to say the same if that happened on my 1st album, the label might then drop me then I'll be back where I am now, lol...Sampling could take a heavy hit on a budget....

First of all, I'm not sure he did a lot of sampling on that album. He did an interpolation of my stuff. On interpolations you don't usually have to pay up front, and then what you do pay is a percentage of your publishing, which means that no money is paid unless money is made.

2nd, I really give less than a fig newton about your budget. Try going into a store and getting that MPC 3000 for free by crying to them about your budget and see what happens. If you can't afford to use my stuff... DON'T!!! If you can't afford to use samples... DON'T!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was more interpolations on "Born To Reign" than samples so I guess Will didn't take the type of hit I thought for recording that album even with it not doing huge numbers. "Willenium" is definately the album with a s***load of samples, they sampled that baby like it was gonna sell 4 million in the 1st month, lol, I think that's the reason why Will had to pay $$$ out of his pocket to shoot "So Fresh" 'cause probably all the money that planned for more videos was used up in paying samples, he probably couldn't afford to do that big tour he was planning to do either, he probably thought it was gonna do "Big Willie Style" numbers, that's when sampling could be bad when the album doesn't do as well as you thought it was...Every track basically had samples, especially "Pump Me Up", that combines samples from like 100 different songs alone, that was like something that hasn't been done since the samplin' law went into effect it seems, Jeff was able to get all of creative juices flowing there, lol... Will's one of the lucky ones to have all that paper to record tracks with all those samples, not many professional recording artists could pull that off....

btw, one another related note JJFP have to be thankful they didn't have to pay for samples on their earlier albums or else they'd been in an even bigger financial hole than they were when they filed bankruptcy, who knows that might've ended their career....

Edited by bigted

• Admin

beats aren't as good anymore tho..cause sampling is too expensive.. back in 93 artists would be spending their entire budget just clearing all those classic jazz samples.. I miss the good beats instead of this electronic crap :word: Kanye can come with decent beats cause he's able to spend the money on all those samples..most artists can't anymore

:word: Up Tim, Amen my brotha! :bowdown: That's what I'm saying all along, the creative sampling that the Bomb Squad and Rick Rubin used to do in the '80s can't really be done now 'cause it costs too much, the sampling law takes away from the creativity a producer could do, that's why some amateur beats might actually sound better than commercial beats 'cause there's no boundaries, amateur mcs too since they don't have A&R direction could rhyme about anything they too also, lol, this industry crap has killed the art of hip-hop for real...

beats aren't as good anymore tho..cause sampling is too expensive.. back in 93 artists would be spending their entire budget just clearing all those classic jazz samples.. I miss the good beats instead of this electronic crap :word: Kanye can come with decent beats cause he's able to spend the money on all those samples..most artists can't anymore

If people like Kanye didn't pay so much to clear samples the clearance fees would drop. I would NEVER pay that kind of money to license a record, much less clear a sample. It's simple Capitalism, the price is as high as the market will bare.

A good producer worth his salt can emulate samples without having to clear a single one.

I'm tired of beats like "Wait" and all that. A si mple drum pattern i can whip up in 2 seconds. Yet that producer is getting paid royally, and getting fame..off what. Same guy produced "Play" By David Banner. Dman beats are identical with 1 small exception.

no one tries anymore, and it's real frustrating.