Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Some seames on clean Will S. image?

Damian

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people believe, some don't.

We can't even prove who is right or wrong, so lets not down each others opinions. you don't believe...god for you, you believe, again good for you. I myself, believe..doesn't mean everyone in the world has to. Lerkot, you don't believe..doesn't mean everyone is a fool for believing in a higher power.

Edited by Vipa

Let's keep this topic about Will Smith's image, not about who believes in God or not, any more of this Holy Roller stuff and I'll lock this topic! :paperbag:

I wasn't referring to you Vipa, you're keepin' the peace...

But when u think about it. Its not that bad 4 sum1 who has been in the rap game 4 like 20yrs and he only been hit with 2lawsuits reguarding music n money. ANd that theres no bad blood with anybody.

Will has an entire legal team dealing with all the people sueing him..its just we dont hear about it all.. Ready Rock C's case was thrown out because the statue of limitations had passed.. as far as the will2k thing that was Columbia/Sony's fault for not properly clearing it.. I think they only acknowledged 2 members..and the others sued for there royalties..

I'm sure WS and JPS have lawsuits filed against them but they get throw out cos well the lawsuits are just stupid just sum ppl trying 2 make easy money. But I mean like major suits like RRC and Furious 5.

Like Furious 5 thing..I agree it was Sony's fault..they didn't handle that well and left Will 2 hang.

RRC got money out of WS even when courts ruled in Will favor. RRC should have taken the offer 2 be on Williennium. I still think RRC did it cos well he burn his money and the others WS and Jazz invested their money wisely.

Nobody truly knows but them. We need to remember that everybody is human and everybody has faults. I personally know of a couple of business dealings that they have done with people that may not be illegal, or even unethical, but are definitely shady. :paperbag:

'It was a Friday night everybody was drinking,

the highs was screamin' and the bass was shakin'

It won't be long before everybody knows that Flash was on the beatbox goin....'.

Thats the original part, and Will did a part that said

'It was a Friday night everybody was drinking,

the highs was screamin' and the bass was shakin'

It won't be long before everybody knows that '12 o'clock the roof will be blowing''

No real samples and thats all. GM&F5 wasnt credited and obviously didnt get any money so they sued Will.

Thats all I know :)

Hmmm... Did he say it only once or was it a major hook in the song? The usage would be the crux of the argument, though at the very least he should have given them an acknowledgment.

Just one time.

And to yall who says its Sonys fault... sure, it could be, but it could also be like that Will forget to inform Sony about using the line... I dont know, no one knows.

Well, if that is the case I can see him trying to get over with it, but he should have known better. That's the kind of thing that you make a phone call for and promise to put fam down on a gig or 2 and all is love. However, if I'm F5 and I don't get a courtesy call, I'm kinda pissed. And there is enough there to sue and get some publishing, so if I'm pissed enough...

This 1 is not on Sony, it's on Will. A phone call probably doesn't cost him a dime or even any credit, just a shout-out to F5 in the liner notes and a look-out in a show or 2.

Does Jay-Z pay Biggie's family everytime he says a Biggie line in a song? :hmm:

That wasn't a line, it was a recognized classic hook. It was the same as incorporating somebody else's chorus into your song. If Will had used it for a chorus himself, he could easily have forfeited half of his publishing for it.

That's kinda low that the Furious Five'd sue Will, he looked up to them, I'm sure they coulda called them up without even going to court and Will'd gladly cut up a check for his heroes...

If he looked up to them he should've respected them. It was his place to call, not theirs.

Personally I think that Will was young person & he did some mistakes, like with RRC. Maybe it's only his fault, maybe not. I don't know.

Story with Furious Five is about using their sample. In Will music we can hear many samples from different songs. Probably F5 weren't so popular like Will & maybe they hadn't so much money like Will. So they tried to earn some money by Will. I don't know but for sure Will seen project of his cd before publishing it. hmmm....... it's hard to say. We can guessing long time.

Truly, Will is only a human. He also is making stupid mistakes etc. It's important that he is trying to do positive things....... but I was suprised when I read that, becouse I didn't hear about it earlier.

Now, if it's about a SAMPLE that's a whole other kettle of fish. :hmm:

It's not a direct smple though, it's vocal interpolation..

Meaning Will re-rapped the lyrics, not sampled from the original F5 song.

OK, then it's not a sample at all then. Guess it's the translation.

Lyrics in interpolations are always tricky, because you are supposed to get permission if you change anything. Again, I'm quite sure that a simple phone call would've taken care of it.

UNLESS OF COURSE, F5 don't actually OWN the publishing...

Lyrics in interpolations are always tricky, because you are supposed to get permission if you change anything. Again, I'm quite sure that a simple phone call would've taken care of it.

The article is saying that Will used their sample without permision. Thats for sure. Im not sure about lyrics. Just check lyrics on the net, & then we will know if Will also re-rapped their lyrics or download "Superappin" & compare Will song & original version.

The article is saying that Will used their sample without permision. Thats for sure. Im not sure about lyrics. Just check lyrics on the net, & then we will know if Will also re-rapped their lyrics or download "Superappin" & compare Will song & original version.

Could be that the article is wrong Damian, since everybody else says that it's just the lyrics. I have no idea since I've never heard the Will song.

Like Cozmo D said I'm sure it could've been settled without the Furious Five making it a public issue, they were probably just jealous that Will and Jeff still are having a career while theirs is dead, they should've been happy that somebody still gives them homage in their song, I get that impression especially after hearing the comments that Melle Mel made about KRS and Rakim, they're just bitter...

Edited by bigted

Could be that the article is wrong Damian, since everybody else says that it's just the lyrics. I have no idea since I've never heard the Will song.

I'm checking article, & my translation for sure is good:

"SMITH wykorzystał w utworze 'Will 2K' --> SAMPLE <-- z ich przeboju 'Superappin' z 1979 roku nie podając prawdziwych autorów."

It's used sample not lyrics. But yes, person who wrote that, could be wrong.

There is one solution. Listen this two song.

I'm not sure if our inquiry is good aimed what Will exacly did, he stolen F5 lyrics or sample?

Much more important thing is that he acted bad.

Could artists sue people who sell mixtapes using samples without permission if they find out about it?

Edited by bigted

Like Cozmo D said I'm sure it could've been settled without the Furious Five making it a public issue, they were probably just jealous that Will and Jeff still are having a career while theirs is dead, they should've been happy that somebody still gives them homage in their song, I get that impression especially after hearing the comments that Melle Mel made about KRS and Rakim, they're just bitter...

You see, now I resent most of this. If somebody uses my lyrics I am flattered, but they are still MY lyrics, and I expect to be compensated for it. The way the song is described here it does not appear to be a homage to F5 at all, but Will's using a recognized lyric to enhance his song. Does he shout out F5 in the song? If not, how can it be a homage? Even if he did and it was, why shouldn't he have to pay them for using THEIR property?

Will used my bassline in his song as well as twisted my lyrics a bit, and yes, I was flattered. But, because I expected to get paid as well that makes me jealous or bitter? I'm supposed to just be happy that he used MY bassline and lyrics while he rides them to the bank? :noooo:

This is a BUSINESS folks!

I'm not sure if our inquiry is good aimed what Will exacly did, he stolen F5 lyrics or sample?

Much more important thing is that he acted bad.

Could be more ignorance on his part than an intentional wrong.

Could artists sue people who sell mixtapes using samples without permission if they find out about it?

The sound rights and copyright owners could, absolutely.