Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Morgan Freeman Calls Black History Month 'Ridiculous'

bigted

MSNBC.com

Freeman calls black history month ‘ridiculous’

Oscar-winning actor says ‘black history is American history’

The Associated Press

Updated: 2:46 p.m. ET Dec. 15, 2005

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987's "Street Smart," 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Definately, couldn't agree more !!

Definately, couldn't agree more !!

Yep thats the truth.

Don't necessarily agree with that. I understand and appreciate the spirit of what he's trying to say, that we often unnecessarily magnify race issues... but I'm not sure that the best policy is to ignore the problems that persist.

I agree. I think that if we can get past skin color and the prejudices that are associated with them, we can move on.

Black history month is a necessary thing, unfortunately. Without it, kids in general won't take time to learn about black history, and teachers would likely not take the time to focus on black leaders. The ideal situation would be that we wouldn't need a black history month, that black history would be addressed throughout the year as part of the history of the western world. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Black kids specifically need to see how things used to be, how things are now, and how things could be in the future if they seek to emulate those in their past and improve upon their accomplishments.

Edited by MaxFly

Don't necessarily agree with that. I understand and appreciate the spirit of what he's trying to say, that we often unnecessarily magnify race issues... but I'm not sure that the best policy is to ignore the problems that persist.

I agree. I think that if we can get past skin color and the prejudices that are associated with them, we can move on.

Black history month is a necessary thing, unfortunately. Without it, kids in general won't take time to learn about black history, and teachers would likely not take the time to focus on black leaders. The ideal situation would be that we wouldn't need a black history month, that black history would be addressed throughout the year as part of the history of the western world. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Black kids specifically need to see how things used to be, how things are now, and how things could be in the future if they seek to emulate those in their past and improve upon their accomplishments.

:word:

that black history would be addressed throughout the year as part of the history of the western world. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Don`t know whats up in America but over here that is the case.

Can you give a couple of examples of black history that is commonly taught in your country?

i agree wit him because black history month shouldn't be set aside because that adds on to segregation

Can you explain this? Are you sure that you know what segregation is?

Guest renagade_tim

ok they are settin black history aside (early and mid 1900's they set blacks aside) and yes i do know wat segregation is i am jus sayin that tey are makin segregation because they dont put black history in the text books which they need to but they really aint because of black history month so as long as black history month is around the longer we actually have segregation think about it.

ok they are settin black history aside (early and mid 1900's they set blacks aside) and yes i do know wat segregation is i am jus sayin that tey are makin segregation because they dont put black history in the text books which they need to but they really aint because of black history month so as long as black history month is around the longer we actually have segregation think about it.

:hmm: