JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MySpace May Be Satan

bigted

This is warning to everyone who puts their tracks on MySpace so if you hear a famous artist doing your song, you were warned! :bat:

http://joshuablankenship.com/?p=3061

MySpace May Be Satan

Seriously, let’s chat about MySpace. (And no, I don’t mean MY Myspace, I just mean MySpace in general.) Have you noticed how it’s all the sudden everywhere? These things happen fairly regularly… something is introduced, co-opted by a small group, spreads via word-of-mouth, reaches epic proportions, and then, magically and suddenly it seems, it’s everywhere all at once. I saw a MySpace compilation CD in Wal-Mart last week.

And the music aspect is something I want to hit on (in a non-sexual way.) I spent some time reading through their Terms of Service (T.O.S.) a few weeks ago. You know, that big, long list of rules and regulations that you oh-so-carefully labor over before you click “I accept” and start using a website? It started to scare me, and then my friend Charlie posted about it, too, so I thought it might be worthwhile to talk about. Especially the same little nugget Charlie posted on:

By posting Content on any public area of MySpace.com, you automatically grant as well as represent and warrant that you have the right to grant to MySpace.com, an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, and distribute such information and content to MySpace.com and that MySpace.com has the right to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such information and content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. (emphasis mine)

So, in layman’s terms, if you post it on MySpace, they own it. Forever. And you don’t. They can sell it, or do anything else with it, and you’ve given them the right to. Oh, and by the way, if they DO, they get the royalties for it, not you. Your property ceases to be your property according to the MySpace T.O.S.

Granted, if your intellectual property (music, photos, words, etc.) was copyrighted prior to posting on MySpace, you MIGHT have a case, should they ever decide to start enforcing their T.O.S. and using your work for their purposes, but even so… this is scary stuff considering the volume of users who (like most of us) just agree to terms online without knowing what they are.

Suckers. All of us.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 15th, 2005 at 9:30 amand is filed under Web Talk, Business. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

that yoyo fad hit america as well? wow, I remember my yoyoing days, I had a scar on my finger for months after that died down lol... that myspace thing is crazy. so true about nobody ever reading terms of service and stuff before signing up, it's pretty scary. I would imagine if it's already copyrighted before it goes up then it's a different situation, otherwise there's no way people like Kel Spencer would be putting tracks up... best to make your own website in the first place I reckon. Myspace never really appealed to me...

i have a myspace and im not gonna put my tracks on there. my mom always tells me to send my lyrics to myself through mail so it hasa postage date on it so if someone steals my music i can show that i made it first....

but when i make "the new black experiance" im gonna put that on myspace and i hope someone steals it and makes it big :lol:

cause they'll probaly make it better

Edited by WILL IS ILL

MYSPACE is Satan, not only for this but this...

I had made THE greatest blog I've ever done, and it's ALLLLL GOOONNNNEEE!!!!!!!! WHY??? Why me? I talked about my thoughts on the Myspace Scam, my music, and referenced some favorites. Will Smith included. Why me? Why me? That blog would have truly touched people and there is NO WAY I can get it back.

"Disrespect 'My' space" will now never been scene. unless by some miracle

I don't see it as a major problem. People put up Music, Video, Pics all at not full quality on there. Whose honestly gonna be able to steal a mp3 and play it off as their own when whoever it really belongs to most likely has full quality CD's and original recordings of it.