JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kool Moe Dee's 50 Greatest MCs

bigted

This is funny that Kool Moe Dee ranks himself ahead of LL, Will Smith at #23 is respectable, Doug E. Fresh ahead of Slick Rick is shocking, Lauryn Hill only had one album so she can't be in the top 10, Queen Latifah should be top 10, why'd he put Lil' Kim ahead of Fat Joe? but hey at least he didn't put no wack rappers like Eminem or 50 Cent on here...

http://oldschoolhiphop.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~8930.asp

"Greatest MC's

1. Melle Mel

2. Rakim

3. KRS-One

4. Big Daddy Kane

5. Kool Mo Dee

6. Grandmaster Caz

7. LL Cool J

8. Chuck D

9. Notorious B.I.G.

10. Lauryn Hill

11. Nas

12. Queen Latifah

13. Tupac

14. Kool G Rap

15. Jay-Z

16. Treach

17. Method Man

18. Ice Cube

19. MC Lyte

20. Redman

21. Ras Kass

22. GZA

23. Will Smith

24. Busta Rhymes

25. Heavy D

26. Pharoahe Monch

27. Xzibit

28. Common

29. Black Thought

30. Scarface

31. Kurtis Blow

32. Run

33. Snoop Dogg

34. Guru

35. Ice-T

36. Doug E Fresh

37. Keith Murray

38. Mystikal

39. Kurupt

40. Slick Rick

41. Big Pun

42. Lil' Kim

43. MC Shan

44. Craig Mack

45. Jeru the Damaja

46. Fat Joe

47. Spoonie Gee

48. Foxy Brown

49. Mack 10

50. Just-Ice

there were 17 categories that he rated each MC from 0-100 on.

Originality

concepts

versatility

vocabulary

substance

flow

flavor

freestyle

vocal presence

live performance

poetic value

body of work

industry impact

social impact

longevity (this category skewers the list alot in my opinion)

Lyrics

Battle skills

Edited by bigted

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting rating system.

Melle Mel is a grandfather of rap, talented, important, but number 1? Naw...

Queen Latifah ahead of Tupac? No chance.

Treach ahead of Ice Cube? Cube has more depth and greater story telling skills, not to mention he founded a rap style that is all but the only style in use today.

Heavy D and Mystical on the list??? I like both of them, but come on, top 25 and 38? You must be joking.

Run at 32??????

Kool Moe Dee should trade places between Melle Mel and Will! :yeah: Heavy D at 25 is actually realistic to me 'cause he put out 7 albums, he definately deserves that type of recognition, I don't anybody would put Kool Moe Dee in their top 5, he's probably the only one to feel that way, he must feel bitter that LL's still out and his career's dead now, I think it's more realistic for Queen Latifah to be ahead of 2Pac than it is for Nas to be ahead of 2Pac, I don't know what he was thinking to put Kurupt, Lil' Kim, Craig Mack, Foxy Brown, and Mack 10 on the list: Where's Salt-N-Pepa, MC Hammer, Talib Kweli, Ghostface Killa, and Shock G?

I didn't read the book, like Da Brakes said it's probably one of the best lists, I have a problem with Slick Rick being #40 though he should be top 10 easily, he influenced Pac, Biggie, Redman, and basically every mc above him there, him putting Lauryn instead of Wyclef, Wyclef has had more longevity than Lauryn, and I don't like that he put those few at the end of the list instead of Salt/Pepa/ MC Hammer/Talib Kweli though but this is the closest thing to a perfect list I've seen, I gotta get my hand on this book...

Edited by bigted

I think if we read some of his points, we might end up agreeing with him on some of his scores/picks. And seeing Melle Mel at #1, (I will honestly say I know nothing about this artist.) somebody needs to show him this list becuz wasn't he the one complaining about everybody thinking Rakim was more than he probably should've been.

See what I mean hardly anybody in this generation has ever heard of Melle Mel, he hasn't put out a recording in like 20 years when he was a member of The Furious Five with Grandmaster Flash, LL Cool J should be #1 'cause like Will Smith everyone knows who LL is, whether you're 10 years old or 50 years old, everyone from Bow Wow's generation to the president's generation knows him, it's obvious that Kool Moe Dee's bitter towards LL for killing his career, I'm surprised he even put LL in the top 10 but not many'd say that they think Kool Moe Dee is better than LL, LL has outlasted basically everyone ranked above him there too, KRS still makes albums but only his few hardcore fans buy them, I'm probably one of few under 30 who actually listens to KRS' recent albums, LL has been getting fans from the youth generation to buy his albums, Will should be in the top 10, especially after "Lost and Found", that should cement that... I notice nobody from the Beastie Boys is on there either and yet there's Xzibit, say it ain't so Kool Moe Dee!!!!!!! :paperbag: Lil' Kim has no flow, no substance, no performance, I don't understand what'd make Kool Moe Dee consider her an mc, I'd love to read that!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bigted

VH1 listed Kool Moe Dee at #48 a couple years ago, that's how you could tell he put a bias in his book :rofl:

http://www.gotriad.com/article/articleview/3667/1/17

Pretty good list even though i might question what the hell Fat Joe is doing up there, Xzibit 2.

Mystikal on the list is skeptical. Personally, I would have Will in the top 5 or 10, but nonetheless, that is a pretty respectable list. Talib Kweli definitely needs to be on there, he isn't mainstream, but he is such a good lyricist. Slick Rick is also a bit low at #40, he should at least be top 20, probably 10. It is funny that Kool Moe Dee has himself so high, above of LL, but it is his book, he can do what he wants I guess. I haven't really heard a lot of Xzibit, but #27 seems a bit high. Lauryn Hill above Tupac is also questionable. Overall, a decent job, one of the best lists I have ever seen.