JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JJFP Need A New Album Next Year

4MD1

I think that the deal is still there.

1st) It's only a distribution deal. So, Will paid the "making" of the album himself with Overbrook

2nd) Lost and Found did sell well. Ok, it didn't go platinum in the USA or it didn't sell like *sucking* 50's Massacre, but 600.000 copies were sold in the USA and the album went platinum worldwide. I mean, if the album costs like 20$, Interscope / Universal made like 20 milion dollars. That ain't bad.

So I think that there is still a contract. BUT would Interscope risk and sell a new record by him as DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince!? I mean a lot of people know him only as Will Smith now and a lot of people know Jeff only from the series and not as a DJ. Yes, they had big hits in the 80's and 90's but unfortunately things have changed. I think that it could (have) be(en) possible that Jive Records would (have) sign(ed) them... but Jive Records is now part of SonyBmg and Sony fired Will three years ago, so... I dunno. Jive could be possible, but I don't know how Sony interacts with that label... know what I mean?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could just bring it out on Jeff`s Label. Releasing it is no problem..

I`m shure there will come another JJFP Album. Don`t know if it comes next year but it definitly will come. Anyone of you read what Jeff said in his Board? He said there will definitly come another one. It`s just about timing..

Edited by Turntable

I dunno... Bbe. Bbe is for sure a GREAT label and has some of the greatest artists releasing through it (DJ JAZZY JEFF, Pete Rock) but I dunno... because, you know. It is a small label and they haven't the money to make some major publishing like Jive, Interscope and I would really like to see sumthing BIG, GREAT when they come back as JJFP. I dunno if it could be a hit on Bbe.

Maybe it might be better for Will to keep releasing more singles from "Lost and Found" but the album sales ain't really doing that well right now, it ain't in the top 200 on the charts anymore, it likely won't move that much past 700,000 whether he releases singles or not, it won't matter at this point, whoever bought the album bought it already was the point I was making, the sales are respectable, one of the 10 hip-hop albums to go at least gold is pretty damn good for an mc on his 19th year in the game, I think the world needs to hear "Lost and Found" and "Tell Me Why" whether they buy the album or not, those are songs with great messages regardless and need to be expressed, Will should perform them at shows and do videos for them, even with his own budget if he has to just to show the world his great art, if the MTV audience don't like it so be it, it'd help his credability though... We all want the 20th year to be special and for JJFP to get back on the scene like they were 10-15 years ago but we have to realise that maybe Jeff doesn't want the fame like he says, maybe he don't wanna be in the spotlight with Will, he rather play the background and let Will have the fame, most likely a JJFP project'll be done independently for the few hardcore fans like us, Will'll probably continue realsing albums on mainstream labels with Jeff only a couple of tracks, we gotta realise that's the way it's gonna be, the public might not know Jazzy Jeff but maybe that's how he likes it, as long as they're together doing something still I think we should be happy about that...

Edited by bigted

Jive ain't really legit anymore, I think going to Def Jam would probably be the only major hip-hop label that'd work for JJFP 'cause if you think about it next year LL Cool J's gonna drop his album, The Roots is gonna drop their album, Slick Rick's gonna drop his album, we might even get a Nas album, and top it off with a JJFP album would be incredible, what other label can compete with that many real hip-hop artists?!! :mygod:

Edited by bigted

What label can compete with those real Hip Hop artists???...

Country singers, pop rock singers, oh and of course 50 Cent. You can't forget 50 Cent. :lolsign:

You know what, they could even call it "Will Smith & Jazzy Jeff". Just do a whole album together, forget the name. They could call it "Jizzy Bizzy T (DJ Jazzy Jeff) & *the actor fomerly known as rapper* Willard "more bills than ya" Smith"

One thing is for sure, they should definately be in the next VH1's Hip Hop Honors. Whether they celebrate just JJFP, or both their careers entirely.

Edited by mfuqua23

LL Cool J'll outsell G Unit by himself next year, "Mama said knock 50 out"! :pony: :willvspaparazzi: ....

LL could outsell 50, no doubt. Look into all those Teen Mag`s around the world. 50 is everywhere and he sells about 5 Mil. LL isn`t realy everywhere. he jst drops a Album and a Single and than let`s it go. And he still sells about 800.000. LL could go in all the teen mag`s like 50 and he would outsel him by far, I think.

I don't think signing to G Unit is gonna help Mase and Mobb Deep that much as that thought it would've, look at how poorly Tony Yayo and Young Buck did with their albums, "The Definition" sold more than those 2 albums combined, LL always has a solid fan base and he's releasing this new album faster than he usually does so it could go platinum plus easily, I think the movie with Queen Latifah next month could bring more fans than usual too 'cause that's probably gonna be a hit, I saw an ad for it yesterday when I was watching TV... LL never had an album sell 10 million but a lot of artists in popular music in any genre might sell like 10 million when they first come out then they fade away quickly, remember how big Ricky Martin used to be? Backstreet Boys anyone, lol? LL was selling 2 million with "Mama Said Knock You Out" while Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer sold 10 million but where are they now? LL's still going platinum while few people hear from MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice... It's better to sell a lil' bit over a large amount of time, then to sell a whole lot in a lil' 'mount of time, LL's built for the marathon....

Edited by bigted

:word: If FP takes 3 years to release another album I'll be very dissapointed, he talked all on this album that he loves hip-hop more than making films, if he doesn't do any freestyles or shows with Jeff, not just promo shows for his film with short 10-minute medleys, I'll start lookin' him as a sell out, I don't care if Jeff needs to lock FP in the studio to get this to happen, it needs to happen....

I don't care if Jeff needs to lock FP in the studio to get this to happen, it needs to happen....

Calm dow dude. JJFP will release something soon enough.

I think it would be the best if they made a new album with ol skool flavor, and the human lyndrum, Ready Rock C!! If will and RRC would sit down together, forgive/forget their past problems, and become friends again, I am sure he would be part of JJFP again. I know if they just talked again, they would be able to work things out. I would love to hear Jazz scratchin, RRC beatboxin, and Will flowin on the same record again. JJFP would be back and ready to take off again. I doubt this would ever happen, but that would be def. If that never happens, I just hope JJFP will bring back the ol skool together and make atleast 3 + albums.

Like Tim said, we can always have hope. I just wish FP & RRC would be friends agian, and make some records like Rock The House again. RRC & FP were dope together.

Edited by bart5

a new JJFP album is necessary, but come on i cant really trust on Wills word anymore. just have a look at the lyrics from "here he comes".

"so hard to break free from a guaranteed 20

but its done, so come see the MC, honey!"

wtf??? he is still doing movies and its not enough to promote here and there with 3 tracks and release a track after over 6 month. come on Will, when you say you're gonna do music for the next 8 month, then please keep it that way!

i know he is a busy man but when he makes such statements he should keep it real with it.

its so disappointing...

anyway, Lost&Found is a hiphop classic! the only thing missing is the respect he deserves!

JJFP Rock The House