JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Fresh Prince can't be happy

Frenetic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehy do some of you guys don`t axcept him as an actor?

Shure he can drop more albums. But why should he? he just likes to do movies too. Let him and be happy that he still is in musik.

I agree tho that it could be more when i look at LL. Same number of movies but also on the point of releasing his 12 album.

LL has signed a deal to do 9 movies, he acts too btw but people don't care for his movies like they do for his albums so he finds his way back to music a lil' faster, I wish that one of Will's movies would flop so he could release albums every 2 years instead of 3 like he does now, and LL's actually only on his 11th album. "All World" is his greatest hits album, if we count JJFP's greatest hits Will's done 10, how many others who came out arond when they did have done as many as them? Is Rakim, Dr. Dre, MC Hammer, Slick Rick, Queen Latifah, Run-DMC, Monie Love, MC Lyte, Salt-N-Pepa, Big Daddy Kane, and Ice Cube on their 10th album too? Hell No, you gotta put things in perspective, Will's only one of few who haven't slowed down yet. Public Enemy released their 10th album recently, I think that counts their greatest hits album, KRS has done about 13 which might also count his greatest hits, they're in their 40s too...

Edited by bigted

Hey Jim man Will could've released an album in '03 but it'd have to be on an independent label 'cause he didn't have no major label offer him a deal for his new album since Columbia dropped him, remember? You're complaining about how bad sales are now but how'd feel if Will'd only sell 60,000 at most if he released "Lost and Found" on Koch? LL could release albums anytime he wants 'cause he has a contract that don't expire on Def Jam but Will gets short term deals and he has to shop around for a label, he's getting older by the minute so finding a label'll be the hardest thing to do after awhile. You gotta think about it he faces criticism each time he raps since he doesn't rap that gangsta stuff, he might not be happy doing it after awhile, he don't receive that type of critcism for doing movies, he justs wants to be appreciated for what he's doing, it ain't about money, that's all. How'd feel if constantly people criticise you for what you do, would it be fun to come to work everyday and have to fight with people constantly? Think about it, label execs, rap critics, fans, etc. have all taken shots at Will every time he gets on the mic with his positive lyrics, so that might not be fun to constantly face criticism, his rap peers seem to respect him so I don't really seing anybody dissin' him from that perspective. Basically only Eminem might diss Will and he ain't going after Will now 'cause he knows that Will's friends with Snoop and 50 so I think that beef's dead, nobody takes Bow Wow seriously, so if Will starts attacking other rappers he's gonna look selfish like 50 Cent and Em by just starting controversy to sell records. Even if he dissed Eminem on that album relased on Koch it still wouldn't matter for sales, it'd be like when KRS dissed Nelly when he was on Koch, radio doesn't play him anyway so they didn't play the Nelly diss and kept playing Nelly all the time so KRS was blackballed out of the contest, the same thing would happen to Will, Eminem would still sell millions while Will'd only be selling a few thousand but hey as long as Will drops every year, you'd be happy with him selling a few thousand right?

Yeah the people who talk about how Rakim could basically beat any rapper out now 'cause of what he did 10-15 years ago, not about what he's doing recently since he ain't doing anything, and they say that LL and Will are washed up when they release albums, it's like from their theory they could've stopped 10 years ago and maybe they'd be getting more props than what they've gotten recently, maybe hanging on too long might hurt them?!!! Will used to face criticism for being too soft, now he's gonna start facing criticism for being too old, lol. That's why Jay-Z might be retiring now while he's on top I guess, if he releases albums 10 years from now people'll might call him washed up like LL...

Edited by bigted

Hey Jim man Will could've released an album in '03 but it'd have to be on an independent label 'cause he didn't have no major label offer him a deal for his new album since Columbia dropped him, remember? You're complaining about how bad sales are now but how'd feel if Will'd only sell 60,000 at most if he released "Lost and Found" on Koch? LL could release albums anytime he wants 'cause he has a contract that don't expire on Def Jam but Will gets short term deals and he has to shop around for a label, he's getting older by the minute so finding a label'll be the hardest thing to do after awhile. You gotta think about it he faces criticism each time he raps since he doesn't rap that gangsta stuff, he might not be happy doing it after awhile, he don't receive that type of critcism for doing movies, he justs wants to be appreciated for what he's doing, it ain't about money, that's all. How'd feel if constantly people criticise you for what you do, would it be fun to come to work everyday and have to fight with people constantly? Think about it, label execs, rap critics, fans, etc. have all taken shots at Will every time he gets on the mic with his positive lyrics, so that might not be fun to constantly face criticism, his rap peers seem to respect him so I don't really seing anybody dissin' him from that perspective. Basically only Eminem might diss Will and he ain't going after Will now 'cause he knows that Will's friends with Snoop and 50 so I think that beef's dead, nobody takes Bow Wow seriously, so if Will starts attacking other rappers he's gonna look selfish like 50 Cent and Em by just starting controversy to sell records. Even if he dissed Eminem on that album relased on Koch it still wouldn't matter for sales, it'd be like when KRS dissed Nelly when he was on Koch, radio doesn't play him anyway so they didn't play the Nelly diss and kept playing Nelly all the time so KRS was blackballed out of the contest, the same thing would happen to Will, Eminem would still sell millions while Will'd only be selling a few thousand but hey as long as Will drops every year, you'd be happy with him selling a few thousand right?

Yeah the people who talk about how Rakim could basically beat any rapper out now 'cause of what he did 10-15 years ago, not about what he's doing recently since he ain't doing anything, and they say that LL and Will are washed up when they release albums, it's like from their theory they could've stopped 10 years ago and maybe they'd be getting more props than what they've gotten recently, maybe hanging on too long might hurt them?!!! Will used to face criticism for being too soft, now he's gonna start facing criticism for being too old, lol. That's why Jay-Z might be retiring now while he's on top I guess, if he releases albums 10 years from now people'll might call him washed up like LL...

:word:

Why did KRS-One actually diss Nelly? I could think of 100`s of other they should diss above Nelly.

This is what KRS said about why he dissed Nelly: http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/3573

Anyways, you can't blame Will, Interscope, or Columbia for the reason why his movie career has overshadowed his rap career and has started the image of him being an actor who occasionally raps, more people choose to go to his movies than buy his albums, blame them if you want to, lol, it actually helped "Big Willie Style" out to have such high sales and resurrect his dead career after "Code Red" flopped badly, he'd be out of the spotlight altogether if "Bad Boys"/"Independence Day" flopped, but those fans from "Big Willie Style" abandoned him too, the ol' school JJFP fans abandon him too, Will doesn't have a loyal fanbase in rapping, they're on the Eminem/50 Cent bandwagon now but they do go to his movies and say he should quit rapping. I mean come on now if Will's worst 'Wild Wild West' film could hit #1, why couldn't Will's worst album "Born To Reign" go platinum at least, is that too much to ask? If Will had a time machine he'd probably go back and not do that movie and maybe release "Willenium" earlier than when he did and spent time to battle Eminem right then and there, coulda shoulda woulda, can't go back in time. Will does listen to the fans, millions of them want him to do another movie, while only a few like us want him to do more albums, he's trying to give the people what they want, if his albums kept doing high numbers and his movies flopped then maybe he'd do less films and more tours, simple as that, he wouldn't have directors begging for him to do films like he does now, he'll be offered less roles, only way for Will to quit acting is if people don't go to his films anymore. If his movies flopped he would be known as a rapper who does movies on the side like LL and if LL starts have #1 movies like Will does people won't look at him as a rapper anymore either...

Edited by bigted

Will knows deep down that a lot of the fans are "lost" to forget about his music career, he wouldn't say that 'cause that'd alienate fans to not wanna see his films, at least people appreciate him for something after 20 years while many of his peers have been forgotten by today's generation, most people know Will as an actor these days but they probably won't know who Slick Rick is either, I'm talking about the generation under 30 especially. I remember back to high school and ask them if they heard "Born To Reign" they'd tell me that they didn't hear it but they did go to "MIBII" for instance, go to the movie theatre and ask peeps you sit wit watchin' his flick about his music and they won't know nothin' or think that "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" was his only song he did. A lot of them over 30 might remember Will as an mc but they don't listen to rap anymore, they'll see his movies though...

Back to the point, as bad as we hate Columbia at least they allowed him to release "Just The Two Of Us" which is one of Will's most meaningful songs so if Interscope don't release "Tell Me Why" that'd be foul 'cause that song really meant a lot to him! :thumbdown:

ok i love Wills music over his movies and in an ideal world id want him to do more albums, but what we have to understand is that Will is way more successful in his movie career, not better but more successful. If he went back to rapping almost full time and let his movies go on hold it would be a wrong career move. Will is never gonna get a lot of respect with rap, Lost and found proves that he can make a great album with little respect. Then if he neglected his movies he could end up messing up that career. i think Will has got the right balance between success and what he loves.

"Fresh Prince was hot, the movies killed him...", maybe if "Code Red" sold 3 million maybe he wouldn't have so many blockbuster movies today... :paperbag:

Edited by bigted

"Lost and Found" did get some moderate respect, but I guess the only way Will's gonna sell millions again if he turns into an egotistical/foul mouth rapper like everyone in the rap game seems to be now who appeal to their fans who're also foul mouthed and egotistical, lol.