JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rap Royalty

bigted

Damn I'd love to seen that episode, sounded entertaining to say the least, here's the part about Will:

Rap Royalty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Smith, Dr. Dre, and Jay-Z

By Jon Caramanica

JANUARY 24, 2000: Will Smith, bless his non-ironic soul, is always good for those jolt-into-reality moments that too much criticism, alas, can inure you to. Twice in the past two weeks, Big Willie's taken to the small screen and demonstrated just how far rap, and he along with it, has come this decade. Or not. First, during the millennium celebration at the White House, Will burst forth with good cheer so infectious -- it was, after all, the dawn of the new Willennium -- that even the other Big Willie (Clinton, that is) was seen to be raising the roof alongside the Fresh Prince with childish, miscegenatory glee.

Just 10 days later, Will dropped the toothy grin for an oddball appearance on BET's Rap City, typically the purview of artists more thuggy than he. With a gold nameplate chain dangled loosely around his neck (didn't see that one in the Vanity Fair shoot), he attempted to reclaim his post in the rap pantheon -- or, more to the point, carve one out. "Name anyone and I'll take them out," he boasted (or something to that effect). "Let's talk lyrics, flow, personality. I'll take on anyone!" The ravings of a madman, practically, but a far better clue to Will's heart than his making a race traitor of the commander-in-chief.

Respect -- is that too much to ask? I mean, four platinum albums and as many Grammys -- what more does it take? It seems that ever since Will started talking about running for president, no one takes him seriously as a rapper. Or maybe it's since he tangled with extraterrestrials in not one but two summer blockbusters. Or since he started wonking about whupping Mike Tyson's ass. Whatever the genesis, releasing albums like Willennium (Columbia) isn't helping his cause. Smith's second album as a soloist, following a lengthy ride as the warm and fuzzy Fresh Prince, sees his rapping persona stripped of all pretensions to the authenticity that he appears to crave and that other rappers wear like tattoos or easily secreted firearms. As the Fresh Prince, Will at least bore some of the traditional marks of the so-called real -- fly gear, braggadocio rhymes. All worn, of course, through a distinctly suburban, middle-class filter.

As the Rap City outburst demonstrates, however, there's the fire of a samurai lurking beneath that mild-mannered exterior. He sets out to prove it from jump, practically screaming "I'm coming! I'm coming! You can't stop me!" on the chorus to Willennium's opener. Yet what Will apparently fails to grasp is that in every braggart lies a heart of insecurity -- it's easier to side with someone whose confidence is earned through battle scars. When Will raps about his Bentley, it sounds more like a privilege than a luxury. "Heard you screaming about cream in your rap, kid," he taunts on "Freakin' It," slaying with the proclamation, "Yo, my last check for Wild Wild West came on a flatbed." Maybe he's just indignant, but he's looking for love in all the wrong places

Edited by bigted

I don't think he was really being criticized there, but that is just me, I don't really have any problems with the article.

Now I think he was giving praise to Will's accomplishments but also criticised Will for being egotistical by going on "Rap City" talking about how great he is, saying that Will has insecurties even though he has all the fame already. He was taking shots about Dr. Dre's credability for using ghostwriters and making rhymes for a life he don't live anymore and Jay-Z for talking about how he gracefully bows out in a song but in reality he was arrested for gun possession, it sounds like this person doesn't like rap too much, lol.