JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

StorCard

MaxFly

http://www.storcard.com/

A flexible storage medium that you could put in your wallet would be cool. A compatible internal drive could eliminate floppy drives... (yes, there are computers that are still made with floppy drives) would be even better. I have a a few pen drives and a couple of CF cards but something about a storcard sounds better.

Not sure how this company is doing. They've been promising mass production of this technology since 2003 with nothing as of yet. Hope it's moving forward.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I haven't used a floppy drive in years... I don't think I even still own one!

I want one system that I can use to play my mp3's on my home computer, work computer, in my ride, and in the mp3 player with out having to transfer files all the time. CF, thumb drive, storecard, whatever, just get a standard and make it big enough to house all of my music!

Man, I haven't used a floppy drive in years... I don't think I even still own one!

I want one system that I can use to play my mp3's on my home computer, work computer, in my ride, and in the mp3 player with out having to transfer files all the time. CF, thumb drive, storecard, whatever, just get a standard and make it big enough to house all of my music!

Indeed.

I think that StorCard is a cool idea! It's better than those flash memory sticks. How come they haven't moved forward yet? It sounds like they would be successful in selling.

I think that they were still in the process of getting patents and so forth, but yeah, they do seem to be taking some time to get this out. The first storcards were supposed to come out in 2003.

disk tech

there are lots of new disc technologies,unfortunately theres 2 competing camps (HD-DVD vs Blu ray) for the successor to dvd.. neither have the capacity/advancement to supercede dvd, we are talking 35-50gb from a multilayered disc when dvd can get up to around 9gb.. stupid..

make everyone buy a new player when a decent format comes out.. something in the range of 300gb would be a worthwhile step up and almost justify having to ditch ya dvd player :thumbdown:

in relation to storcard.. theres a prototype out there for a holographic disc with the shape of a credit card and twice the width.. in the region of 50gb !

disk tech

there are lots of new disc technologies,unfortunately theres 2 competing camps (HD-DVD vs Blu ray) for the successor to dvd.. neither have the capacity/advancement to supercede dvd, we are talking 35-50gb from a multilayered disc when dvd can get up to around 9gb.. stupid..

make everyone buy a new player when a decent format comes out.. something in the range of 300gb would be a worthwhile step up and almost justify having to ditch ya dvd player :thumbdown:

in relation to storcard.. theres a prototype out there for a holographic disc with the shape of a credit card and twice the width.. in the region of 50gb !

Holographic technology is all the rage now, however a number of improvements must be made for these technologies to be cost effective. For now, they are limited to the archiving sector (these holographic discs can hold terabytes of information). Unfortunately, they won't make their way into the consumer market just yet.

HD-DVD and/or Blu Ray seem to be the natural sucessors to DVDs, and though the improvements are incremental in the scheme of things, I think they will serve their purpose just fine for the time being. Blu Ray has to advantage in storage in that it has a larger capacity than HD-DVD but HD-DVD has the advantage in marketing. Because manufacturing of HD-DVD discs will utilize the current manufacturing lines that bring us DVDs, it will be cheaper (around the price of current DVDs).

The biggest obstacle, as you pointed out, will be getting people to put aside their old DVD players. My guess is that those who are marketing the new format will promote their product based on it's ability to store HD video and its storage capacity to price ratio versus that of current DVDs. I'm also guessing that Blu Ray or HD-DVD players will be backwards compatible with DVDs.

Edited by MaxFly

Another marketing advantage that HD-DVD has over Blu ray is that the average person won't have a clue what Blu ray is and what it does! Where as HD-DVD says it all in the title! The majority of people know what HD is and almost everybody knows what a DVD is! For they've already won it with their naming of the brand!

This was the same thing with VHS and Betamax! Betamax was actually the better technology but VHS won it on the name of its technology!