JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Source Shows Love To LL Cool J

Turntable

The "Ear To The Street" part of The Source is about LL this month.It`s about him as maybe the greatest Mc ever.

I give you a short version with some Parts of the text.(If you want the whole article you realy should get the source this month.It`s a good one):

They write that everbody mentions Jigga or Pac or Biggie and them as best MC ever..What about LL?

Wait,what about LL Cool J?How come his name is never mentioned in the shortlist of the greates Mc`s? How come his 20 year career isn`t reflected upon,his 11 Album catalog and 20 million sales honored? Aside from VH1`s Hip Hop Honors,there are rarely any publicized tributes to his legacy or his impact on a generation.Why haven`t we love Cool James over the years and respect hiss gangsta?

The Hip Hop Historian Ernie Paniccioli try`s to answer that question.

"In order to rate a person,you have to compare them to somebody,their peers.LL Cool J has no peers,because nobody can boast that amount of time in the game".

Than the talk about Kool Moe Dee`s book "There is a God on the Mic:The True 50 greates Mc`s".They mention parts about LL.About his consistentnes.About him as a true entertainer and many ways,not just as a great rapper,like WILL SMITH and Queen Latifah.About his lyrical gift and his strong live performances.

Than they say something like "It`s a shame that everybody takes LL greatnes for granted."If he would have died like BIggie and Pac..Than people would apreciate him more?Would LL as the G.O.A.T even be a debating subject?".

And than,at the end,they say something very great and true.

"Whether you believe Big Pun or KRS-One or Melle Mel or some other MC is the greates of all time,the fact remains that LL Cool J has undoubtedly unfluenced your favorite rapper`s favorite rapper."

Edited by Turntable

I like Big Pun but I wouldn't consider him one of the greatest since he didn't really make that much impact, I think there's too much of a bias towards dead rappers, even Pac and Biggie ain't as great as they've been hyped out to be, they died when they were on top of their careers and they weren't around long enough to see them putting out something that people didn't like, but they look like rap gods 'cause they put out quality stuff at that point. If Will died when "Summertime" came out he'd be known as the greatest rapper ever, if DMX died around the same time as Big Pun he'd also be getting more recognition right now than what he gets since his first 2 albums rank among the all-time great albums and they sold over 10 million combined, if MC Hammer died around the time he released "U Can't Touch This", etc..

Well they do mention Will Smith in the article that LL's a true entertainer like Queen Latifah and him:

"About him as a true entertainer and many ways,not just as a great rapper,like WILL SMITH and Queen Latifah."

And I disagree with this part:

"How come his 20 year career isn`t reflected upon,his 11 Album catalog and 20 million sales honored? Aside from VH1`s Hip Hop Honors,there are rarely any publicized tributes to his legacy or his impact on a generation.Why haven`t we love Cool James over the years and respect hiss gangsta?"

I think LL gets a lot of recognition, this guy has to be worth well over $100 million with all the hit movies, platinum plaques, awards he received, plus I think he is a respected mc among his peers, I don't think there's any need to feel sorry for LL, he gets a lot of love.

Yeah but you can feel sorry for when peopel allways say Biggie or Jigga are the best Mc`s.Caus in a way they do/did what LL stardet.

Yeah but at the same time people rank LL and Will above Kurtis Blow and Sugar Hill Gang who paved the way for them, everybody got their own opinions, it's hard to compare eras. That's like saying who's better: The Temptations or Boyz II Men? People might say Boyz II Men 'cause they outsold The Temptations but The Temptations had longevity. Now if you wanna compare LL to Jay-Z, Jay-Z had higher record sales in a short period than LL does but LL has longevity, it depends if you prefer success or longevity.

Edited by bigted