JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Tonights the night for Jay-Z

Frenetic

Well who would've thought that Nas might sign to Def Jam, I never in a million years would've thought that'd happen, anything's possible, if Jay-Z really wants to save hip-hop he'll sign all of them, he should've never dissed Nas in the first place, it's about time that hip-hop powers join forces instead of beefing. I'm more concerned about great mcs collabing and making great songs than I am about how many are gonna diss 50 Cent, if a lot of dope songs came out 50 Cent'll lose his popularity fast, all the great mcs need to be on the top of the charts bringing something to the airwaves, it's disgusting how Rev. Run's album doesn't even sell 5,000 copies the 1st week, I wanna see 50 Cent fall down to that for a change and Rev. Run go platinum.

Edited by bigted

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ol' school rappers KRS-ONE and Rev. Run had the type of promotion for their albums as Jay-Z does they could easily go platinum, people'll know about them if they get exposure simple as that, that's the only reason why 50 Cent sells so much is 'cause he puts out 100 videos at once. LL Cool J gets good promotion on Def Jam and he's always able to still be one of the highest selling rappers out whenever he drops an album so why not bring more on board? They might not sell 3-4 million but I don't see how they couldn't go platinum or close to it at the worst if they get the right backing they deserve. Signing The Roots and Nas is a good step towards that, I guess they gotta bring the '90s mcs back first then they could work on the '80s, lol.

Edited by bigted

Most of the people who listen to rap don't know who Rev. Run is. I'm sorry but none of these old school rappers are going to come back and go platinum. Sad to say but Old School hip hop is dead.

Ah well for example The Beastie Boys,LL,De La and Will go Platinum almost everytime with almost doing nothing on promotion.They just drop and sell good.

So did Jay-Z diss anybody last night in Philly? I guess bringin' Nas on stage with him is enough statement that he's going after 50 Cent already though, he's probably waiting for 50 to respond then he'll release something for him, if 50 was smart he'd not diss anybody anymore now. Yeah look how "Lost and Found" almost went platinum with just one hit single, if he had 100 videos out at once like 50 Cent he'd probably sell 10 million again like "Big Willie Style", Interscope didn't really give Will the backing he deserved though obviously, Def Jam promotes their rappers well so I think it'd be a good fit for Will to go there. Columbia's been screwing Nas over for years too, it'll be nice as a Nas fan to see him get the promotion that he deserves, I think he might be able to put out some multiplatinum hits now.

Edited by bigted

LL basically did the same numbers with "The Defintion" on Def Jam that Will did with "Lost and Found" on Interscope so it might not make too much of a difference if Will goes there, those are probably the best numbers that he could do at this point and that's still pretty well, it'd be nice to see other ol' school rappers get signed on major labels and do those type of numbers too.

I Mean, it isn't All the Label's fault...Let's not put the blame expressly on them. Will has to BE THERE, to help promote. He has to do appearances, he has to do shows. He can't wait 3+ months to start filming a new video. It isn't completely the label's fault.

Edited by Vipa

Well it took Interscope 2 months to release the video for "Party Starter" after Will shot it in July, if it dropped in late July early August at the latest "Lost and Found" would be past platinum now and "Parter Starter" would be a top 10 hit, Def Jam'd probably released it faster. LL's videos seem to come out pretty rapidly but even he shoulda shot a couple more though and "The Definition" would've made it to double platinum status by now but he did the same thing Will did when he went to go shoot a movie, I guess they ain't really that much concerned about selling as much as we are.

Edited by bigted

Yeah well "The Definition" had 2 hit singles in rotation over 5 months so if he released one more single at least it would've been certified platinum in the US last spring, it's kinda amazing that "Lost and Found" would even come close to selling as much as "The Definition" with only one hit single in "Switch" since it came out in February, "Party Starter" has been flopping here in the US, not to mention that black radio has been resistant to playing Will's songs, they always play LL. If Will got a lil' bit of support from black radio when "Switch" was out he would've hit platinum already even if "Party Starter" still flopped, Def Jam rappers always get on black radio though so it makes sense to go there.

The Definition did a lil better i think.It sold in Amerika 750.000 so maybe worldwide about a Mil.

But Will singles do better..Headsprung flopped an Hush only was a litle Hit in the U.K.

i think you got that a little wrong hush got to number 4 if i remember correctly

No he didn't diss anyone.

But ****.. that night was history.

bringing Beanie and Freeway together, bringing LOX and Puffy together, bringing Him and Nas together.

Funny thing is that Nas had the same gear on which he had in a video for a single of illmatic. And him rapping the chorus in dead presidents which is one of my top 10 songs.

I wanna see a collabo!

Eastcoast is back fo real.