Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Bush Supporters Protesting Kanye West

bigted

http://www.alligator.org/pt2/051014kanye.php

Student protest meets Kanye visit

By DAVID COHEN

Alligator Writer

Megan Schaub / Alligator

Myron Moton, a Katrina evacuee, along with UF College Republicans protested outside the O'Dome before the Kanye West concert Thursday.

About 4,811 people attended rapper Kanye West's concert Thursday night at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center, and most passed protesters before they could enter.

About 20 UF College Republicans protested the concert and said that UF administration was hypocritical in allowing him to come.

The group held signs that read, "You can't spell crap without rap!" and "Go home Kanye - UF doesn't want your racist lies" near the O'Connell Center.

UF College Republicans Chairwoman Ashlee Black said her group wanted to defend President Bush from West's claim that he does not care about black people.

"He said some things that are awful," she said of West. "A lot of [his work] is demeaning to women. We love our president. We are proud of him. We love our country. And we are proud of it."

James Clinch, a UF civil engineering senior, was holding the "crap" sign and said he is against exposing young children to West's "terrible lyrics."

"It's really destroying the fabric of our moral foundation," he said.

Clinch said Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Telles-Irvin is being "wildly hypocritical" for allowing the concert to take place, given her campuswide e-mail last month regarding the Alligator's "unacceptable" use of the "n-word" when West's lyrics are rife with it.

"It gives a bad name to our university," he said. "Even by letting this go on, they are in approval of it."

Student Government Productions subsidized the first 2,000 tickets sold to students at $26, with all other tickets costing $36.

UF accounting sophomore Daniel Riger said he supports UF's decision to book West.

"It just makes for an interesting environment," he said. "If everybody had the same view, people would just go on in their complacency."

Despite protesting, the College Republicans approached a nearby KISS 105.3 FM van to try and win some tickets to the concert.

They won four out of the seven tickets on two consecutive spins of the wheel. The seats were situated at rows three and five.

The group huddled to try and figure out what to do.

"It's like knowing what to do with garbage," Clinch said, amid talk of burning the free passes.

But they decided to sell them and donate half the money to their organization and the other half to Wesley United Methodist Church.

Former Student Sen. Ramon Looby said the College Republicans were being disrespectful.

"For them to say a genre of music is crap is an ignorant statement," he said. "They're not a party of inclusion."

Student Sen. John M. Lloyd-Montgomery said the College Republicans chose the wrong type of action.

"I think it is anti-diversity," he said, noting he had not seen so many types of students in one place, other than sporting events.

Three Florida State University students said they drove from Tallahassee to see West's concert.

FSU athletic training and sports medicine freshman Alisha Smith said she did not understand the protest.

"What does the president have to do with Kanye West?" she asked.

She said other rappers use the "n-word" more than West, and his lyrics are typically positive. Her friend, FSU fashion freshman Luiza Solano, added, "People take this stuff too serious."

I don't see this hurting Kanye at all. They'll probably just be wasting their energy. Won't hurt him, wont change his mind.

And another thing, why the Ignorant Rap Comments. their Beef is with Kanye not Hip Hop. They're just making themselves look stupid as hell.

Edited by Vipa

Despite protesting, the College Republicans approached a nearby KISS 105.3 FM van to try and win some tickets to the concert.

They won four out of the seven tickets on two consecutive spins of the wheel. The seats were situated at rows three and five.

"It's like knowing what to do with garbage," Clinch said, amid talk of burning the free passes.

But they decided to sell them and donate half the money to their organization and the other half to Wesley United Methodist Church.

It's good to see that they don't mind profiting from something they are there to protest...

Silly Republicans... tricks are for kids...

It's good to see that they don't mind profiting from something they are there to protest...

Silly Republicans... tricks are for kids...

:word:

"Don't go to see Kanye West, his terrible lyrics are destroying the fabric of our moral foundation. Wanna buy a ticket?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It wazn't 2 surprising that this is happening if u ask me. Kanye West is NOT respected when it comes 2 politics and he looked like an idiot when he made that comment (where u agree with him or not). I don't see either party being hurt by the other...it's just silly all the way around. Kanye doesn't properly represent Hip-Hop...so i could care less about the whole thing.

I still can't believe that they went to a concert to protest. I uphold their right to assemble... there's no problem in that... but they have more pressing issues in D.C. that they should be worried about. Their priorities are a tad schewed...

Libby/Rovegate, Miers, Iraq, deficit... priorities people... :stickpoke:

I still can't believe that they went to a concert to protest. I uphold their right to assemble... there's no problem in that... but they have more pressing issues in D.C. that they should be worried about. Their priorities are a tad schewed...

Libby/Rovegate, Miers, Iraq, deficit... priorities people... :stickpoke:

:word: They have a right to protest as much as Kanye has a right to speak his mind but they obiously don't stand for what they're saying if they're selling the tickets to something they don't want people to listen to, they lose credability doing that. Just 'cause they think Kanye West is crap doesn't mean all rappers are crap either.

Being a republican is like participating in the Olympics for handicapped people..

U may win.. but ur still handicapped.

It's like what Talib Kweli says on one of his songs: "that's why I don't f*** with politics/you got Democrats actin' like Republicans"

Being a republican is like participating in the Olympics for handicapped people..

U may win.. but ur still handicapped.

Sad thing is that you can say that about most political parties... democrats included... Yeah, I said it.

:word: