JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kool G Rap Might Sign To G Unit?

bigted

50 Cent To Sign Kool G Rap, Lil' Scrappy; Plans Label Positions For Newest Signees

Thursday - October 20, 2005

50 Cent

Photo Credit: Interscope

50 Cent may be adding a few more big name artists to his already stellar roster at G-Unit Records. He spilled the beans on Saturday (October 15) during an interview on BBC's Radio 1 Rap Show in London, where he said he may be signing Kool G Rap, Beanie Sigel and Lil' Scrappy.

During the interview with host, Tim Westwood, 50 stated that he plans to remodel hip-hop. And to start off, the aforementioned artists will be next.

"Everybody wants to be affiliated and a part of what we are doing right now 'cause we got the best camp," said 50. "I'm entertaining the idea of Kool G Rap; we talked and had conversations. Beanie Sigel, we talked to Beanie. [And] Lil' Scrappy is coming over to G-Unit."

Although, there is no official word, 50 continues to express interest in possibly adding them to his artist roster.

In addition to 50 scouting new talent, he plans to move some of his newest recruits -- Mobb Deep and Mase -- to corporate positions within his label. And even noted that they will sign new talent as well.

"You'll be seeing, probably Mase moving into a corporate position. You'll see Prodigy and Havoc start signing new artists 'cause they are really experienced artists. In the A&R department, can't nobody A&R better than the actual artists," 50 told Tim Westwood.

But wait, that's not it. 50 has big, bright plans for his G-Unit company. Currently, G-Unit Records is an imprint under the Interscope umbrella, but he plans to branch off on his own with plans of being the next Def Jam Records.

"We getting ready to do something so big," 50 explained. "We are already making up 70% of the black music at Interscope. Eventually, we're just gonna move over, create our own radio staff and everything else -- just move away from it and be the [next] Def Jam."

Aside from running his label, 50 Cent is preparing the release of his big screen debut, "Get Rich Or Die Tryin," along with the film's soundtrack. The film, which is loosely based around his life story, will hit theaters November 9th with the soundtrack dropping the day before.

— Ronnie Gamble

Maybe 50's lookin' for ghostwriters to write a song dissin' Nas...

Kool G Rap is considered one of the least commercial oriented mcs and one of the most respected in hip-hop history, I don't understand the logic of him signing with 50 Cent who's nothing but a rap gimmick that'll be forgotten a few years from now, you'd figure that he'd take Nas' side in the Nas-50 beef.

He could make $5-10 each album he sells as an independent artist though and keep his rep, the only he'd make any profit like that is if he goes platinum and I don't see that happening now, he's gonna lose a lot of respect among hip-hop heads too 'cause they think anybody associated with 50 Cent is a joke, he should just retire...

Edited by bigted

Yeah I doubt that Kool G Rap'll sign, they're probably just talkin', MOP's releasing a new album and it's not on G-Unit...

Kool G Rap is a pioneer...but at the same time, i look at him as a relic. I dont' really follow him anymore, but he just doesn't have the same bite he used 2 have. I'll be disappointed if his signs with them.

Lil' Scappy has no talent...so he fits right in with G-Unit.

And 50 Cent is an idiot. How can a commerical light weird rapper "remodel" Hip-Hop...puh-leez.