JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

jazz-rap is back!

Hero1

• Admin

if you are a fan of jazz/rap like I am.. check out this new artists colossus.. you can listen to the tracks from his album at this website

http://www.om-records.com/colossus.html

awesome! im definitely getting the album it comes out october 24.. its 2 discs 1 more jazz version the 2nd more hip-hop ...

:2thumbs:

Existing in a chilled-out space between Roy Ayers and Digable Planets circa Blowout Comb, West Oaktown is indeed cool like that." - URB

"Bring it! Techno-organic jazz-hop has met its master in Colossus, whose music sounds like a mutant-powered, sonic version of the Marvel X-Men character." - Eric K. Arnold, XLR8R

"Scat-rapping, laid back funk, shimmering speakeasy jazz, crispy slow-gaited percussion. It's like the Roots remaking Organix, but with actual chops this time. Or Yesterday's New Quintet playing only the Bluest Notes from the most Digable Planets. Stones Throw is kicking themselves in the wolf mask for missing this." - FILTER

"Those pining for the 90’s vibe, the comfort zone where jazz and hip hop commingle, will get with this. Consistency and depth are your confidants for this two-disc set (the second cd being a strong offering of imaginative remixes)." – Straight No Chaser Magazine

"I absolutely love the album, I can't stop playing it. The vibe is deep and funky as hell. It is really awsome." – Laurent Garnier

"Fat as f..@k beats and swooping bass roll deep into hip-hop as rich as Main Source and a sliced'n'diced band sound not too far away from Duke Ellington in his Blanton/Webster prime. Sureplayer / Absolute brilliance." – 5 / 5 DJ Magazine

• Admin

I'm loving these tracks.. When jazz and rap met in 1993 it was the greatest time for hip hop.. I dont hear any jazz beats in hip-hop anymore.. so this albums is awesome to me.. im glad i stumbled across it.. recent jazz/rap either the jazz is dope and the raps are weak or the jazz is weak and the raps are dope.. but this album they are both top quality..

That's real cool. For some reason, it seems like the Bay Area has some of the best overlooked talents. That's one of the main areas that brought the Hip Hop standards you've seen/heard or still hear/see today. From the small bits I heard on the home page, I bet my dad would like this album.

• Admin

but this is REAL jazz.. not just a few horns here and there.. k-os' albums wernt filled with jazz.. haiku de'tat is definitely keepin it alive.. i definitely need to check Zion I and what can you tell me about crown city rockers? never heard of them

Dang, for all the Cali Hip Hop you know, you ain't checked out Zion I and Crown City yet? The two artists are rather tight w/ each other in the first place. CCR's aren't quite as known yet. They had a cd last year called "Earth Tones," it was one of my top 5 favorites of '04. Scarub, Gift of Gab, and Zion were all on it. Crown City Rockers are a Hip Hop band (much like Roots), with a solid MC (who never cusses by the way) and three or four guys who play instruments and this chick with rocks the keyboard. Zion I...well I'm suprised you don't know much about them! Their "True and Livin'" cd is still my top pick from this year. Amp Live is probably my favorite producer of today, and he could already be mentioned with the likes of Pete Rock, Premier, RZA, etc...

Edited by Hymn Strings