JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J says lyrics need more balance

bigted

http://www.nobodysmiling.com/hiphop/news/85175.php

LL Cool J Says Lyrics Needs Balance

by: Michael Ivey

Sun, October 2nd, 2005

VH1’s recent “Hip Hop Honors” lifetime achievement award recipient, LL Cool J, feels there are too many gangsters in rap.

According to one of the longest tenured professionals in music today (twenty plus years) the only way hip hop can lose it’s violent image is if emcees stop coming out as shooters and crack dealers.

LL Cool J is definitely encouraged by the lucrative business the music generates, saying “I think it’s afforded a lot of people great lifestyles.” However, his knowledge of the social impact rap lyrics have on youth and casual listeners prompted a call for more positive messages. He says, “so many people who are not really used to rap or don’t know anything about it think that that’s all there is.”

As an entertainer known more for his female oriented songs and hard core delivery, not content, LL feels the culture as a whole would benefit from more balance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I don't understand how Em and 50 say they look up to LL and yet they make their music so violent? :sick:

I think LL should personally say who he feels should be the ones that need to balance out their lyrics then maybe they'll pay attention to him more or he'll finish their careers, he got the power to do it! :stickpoke:

Yeah I don't understand how Em and 50 say they look up to LL and yet they make their music so violent? :sick:

Well I think the reason why the can say they look up 2 LL and make violent music at the same time is cus well they don't feel that they are part of the problem.

50 and Em probably are thinking that this comment ain't directed at him but 2 their enemies. Cus Em and 50 think all they are doing is speaking the truth as the way they see it. 50 cent sees himself as original gangsta rapper.

Edited by Angel Amor

I think LL should personally say who he feels should be the ones that need to balance out their lyrics then maybe they'll pay attention to him more or he'll finish their careers, he got the power to do it! :stickpoke:

:word:

:word: I agree. More people need to hear what LL is saying! It's so true.

Well I think the reason why the can say they look up 2 LL and make violent music at the same time is cus well they don't feel that they are part of the problem.

50 and Em probably are thinking that this comment ain't directed at him but 2 their enemies. Cus Em and 50 think all they are doing is speaking the truth as the way they see it. 50 cent sees himself as original gangsta rapper.

That's a good point there, 50 Cent came out with a song called "Wanksta" making fun of people that act like gangstas when they ain't really ones but in reality he's a "wanksta" himself, he ain't really as tough as he says he is and he needs to stop talking like that to mislead people that're stupid enough to buy into it.