JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"the rain"

Mike

The people who buy the albums take Will seriously, the ones that hate on him are the ones that think "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" was the first song he ever made so I don't take their hate seriously. :stickpoke:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree basically what Turntable said there, a lot of serious songs just ain't popular, singles like "Just The Two Of Us" is once in a lifetime thing, serious songs don't do too well on the charts, JJFP released "Twinkle Twinkle"(I'm A Star) as a single which didn't have the success of "Boom!" but it's easily better, rappers that release only conscious songs ain't popular(KRS, Common, Nas) "The Rain"'d been a good 3rd single for credability but it might not have been a hit necessarily, even Kanye's song about the blood diamond conflict didn't get the airplay that "Golddigger" is now but I think that track has more credability than "Golddigger" does, I think 3 of the 5 singles he released for "College Dropout" were club songs if I'm not mistaken too, club songs are more marketable to get albums to sell, I think that the people who bought the album clearly would tell you that "The Rain" is better than "Will 2K" but credit has to be given to "Will 2K" to get a lot of people to buy the album where they'd be able to see how versatile Will is, "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" did that for "Big Willie Style" too, as much as we know it ain't his best song, it opened him up to a larger fanbase to see how versatile that album was, I think the people who say that Will's just a club rapper never took time to listen to the albums, that's stupid as sayin' LL only makes love songs, you can't judge artists off of just singles, but there are a lot of commercial rappers who just make the same club songs or potray a lame gimmick throughout their albums that just ain't that good.

I agree basically what Turntable said there, a lot of serious songs just ain't popular, singles like "Just The Two Of Us" is once in a lifetime thing, serious songs don't do too well on the charts, JJFP released "Twinkle Twinkle"(I'm A Star) as a single which didn't have the success of "Boom!" but it's easily better, rappers that release only conscious songs ain't popular(KRS, Common, Nas) "The Rain"'d been a good 3rd single for credability but it might not have been a hit necessarily, even Kanye's song about the blood diamond conflict didn't get the airplay that "Golddigger" is now but I think that track has more credability than "Golddigger" does, I think 3 of the 5 singles he released for "College Dropout" were club songs if I'm not mistaken too, club songs are more marketable to get albums to sell, I think that the people who bought the album clearly would tell you that "The Rain" is better than "Will 2K" but credit has to be given to "Will 2K" to get a lot of people to buy the album where they'd be able to see how versatile Will is, "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" did that for "Big Willie Style" too, as much as we know it ain't his best song, it opened him up to a larger fanbase to see how versatile that album was, I think the people who say that Will's just a club rapper never took time to listen to the albums, that's stupid as sayin' LL only makes love songs, you can't judge artists off of just singles, but there are a lot of commercial rappers who just make the same club songs or potray a lame gimmick throughout their albums that just ain't that good.

Thats right!

LL is a example for that..Artits like Ja Rule and Fat Joe are also bringing love Song out as Single!And they get dissed even tho they most of the time only make street songs!

It`s pretty funny how they kopy LL`s style of selling records!

And then Artits like Jigga and Kayne are kopying Wills!

Thats whats shows us again that will and LL had more impcat than anybody else even tho you don`t see it emidiatly..

Edited by Turntable

"The Rain" should've been released right after "Will 2k". He shoulda hit us all up with "The Rain" in January 2K since "Will 2k" was disposable. "Freakin It" was just Sony looking for another "jiggy" type of song. Wrong. People got sick of it, yeah it made the top 40 but it really wasn't a hit. Willenium than quickly stalled at 2x Platinum. "The Rain" as a single would've given FP more crediabilty. You talk about "Twinkle Twinkle" as a single, it was only in the UK. I def. dont think thats single material though. Especially since Code Red had the powerful lineup like songs like "Just Kickin It", "Somethin Like Dis", "Scream"...etc. Same goes for "Cant wait to be with you" which was also a UK single. I dont know what made Jive release those as singles. I think the only reason why "Boom!" was a hit was because of the more '93 type of sound. It was heavy, more aggresive. "Somethin Like Dis" would've been a hot single. I still imagine the video in my mind of JJFP just in the streets of Philly cuttin it up.

I honestly don't remember seein' the "Freakin' It" video more than just like 1 or 2 times, "Potnas" or "The Rain" should've been the 2nd single instead, damn Sony, well double platinum looks great compared to the sales of "Lost and Found" but it should've sold as much as "Big Willie Style", "Party Starter" is like "Freakin' It" at this point, it's stalling.

"The Rain" is one of the best songs ever recorded by anyone, from any genre, from any time period. The lyrics are so solid and personal, yet something eveyone can realate 2. I can't tell u how many times i was going thru' something and that song is exactly what it took 2 get me thru.' And the production is amazing. People who perfer that flashy Jiggy type stuff just won't understand. The beat is just timeless. The sound of Hip-Hop is personified on that track. Jill Scott waz the perfect choice 2 lace the hook, and the kids singing at the end...just magical.

We all know how great is the rain.... it should have been a single , but not the first or the second.. that type of songs are perfect as 3rd single, I imagine it released after Will 2k and so fresh, it would have been perfect!but to boost the selling of an album U need singles that everybody can listen to... the wrong thing during the Willennium period was that too much time passed between 2 singles, I look at jamiroquai right now, their last album was released in Italy in july and now they have been released their 2nd single... Damn, that's how to promote an album!! with lost n found I think that the singles released are the right ones, and in the right order, Switch as first, Ps and then we'll have tell me why! but again too much time passes between singles.... Calm down WILLIE :davidblaine: :davidblaine: interscope sux