JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

R&B songwriters C. Haggins/I.Barias mention JJFP!

bigted

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey smootb you just don't understand that Eminem is a horrible example for hip-hop, he might be able to write long verses but his songs are meaningless except for a couple, he overdoes it a lot of times and sounds boring to listen to, Will is the perfect example for hip-hop, Em has no character, some of Will's verses might be short just like Pac's and Run-Dmc's but I'd say they have more heart, their songs have strong and positive concepts to them, and that's what's the problem with hip-hop now, rappers are more concerned with jumbling words together than they are about the message they're potraying and working on their flow, I'm sorry but there's something wrong with you if you approve of rappers that're making songs about killing your mother, killing your wife, making fun of every celebrity that's more successful and talented than him(I don't think every hip-hop fan likes pop music but that doesn't mean it's not talent, it's just not our taste, we shouldn't diss other music artists just 'cause we don't personally like them nah mean, I don't care if you listen to me and listen to Britney Spears as long as you listen to me, hip-hop reaches all people, Britney Spears doesn't reflect my style and my style don't reflect Britney Spears, I do my thing and she does hers, no need to diss, it's all love), and calling people fags isn't hip-hop, it's a joke, hip-hop is not a gimmick, hip-hop is not record sales, hip-hop is music that reflects the soul and Eminem has no soul when you take away the gimmicks and record sales, he might've been a great battle rapper back in the days, big f****n' deal, 50 Cent was too but what is he doing now? Will Smith won a lot of battles in the streets too back in the days but has stayed consistant throughout his entire career, you can't live off of the past so much if you suck now, 'Eminem Show' was garbage and so was 'Encore', 'Marshall Mathers LP' was his last good one but even half of that was a gimmick, I like some of his underground stuff like 'Infinite' but that doesn't even have s*** on what Will's done, Em's still one of the worst ever to me. These chart rappers sold out a long time ago and that's real, f*** those gimmick MTV rappers like Eminem, Nelly, and 50 Cent, true mcs like Will, LL, and KRS could rip all of them, no matter how much or lil' Will sells he stays true to himself and his art and doesn't do no gimmick to sell records, he's just a great entertainer bottomline. Em dissin' Will is one of many reasons I don't like him, you want some real hip-hop, buy some De La Soul and Nas, that's music with heart, not music that makes me feel like crap! :therain:

Edited by bigted

I have nothin' against anybody here that likes Em, it's your taste, but I feel that he's one of the reasons the rap game is right now, you can't complain the state of the rap game if you're a fan of somebody like Em that puts out meaningless songs 90% of the time, maybe one or 2 songs he might do a song like "Toy Soldiers" or "Sing For The Moment" but on the rest of the albums are a joke, nothing but negativity potrayed so that makes him look hypocritical, 50 Cent does the same thing, he talks about how much he loves Rakim and then he does trash songs, if you love Rakim why'd do something so foul? Rakim's one of the most positive rappers ever. If you wanna display a positive message you do it throughout the album like a real mc does but Em is lost, so obviously he doesn't mean what he said in those 2 songs, that'd be like Will doing a song like "Lost and Found" and then start talkin' about killin' somebody on the song after, wouldn't that look stupid? :shrug:

Keep in mind what Kool Herc said in the "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" book, and ask yourself is Eminem really keepin' it right or is he a hypocrite?

“Hip-hop has always been about having fun, but it's also about taking responsibility. And now we have a platform to speak our minds. Millions of people are watching us. Let's hear something powerful. Tell people what they need to hear. How will we hear the community? What do we stand for? What would happen if we got the hip-hop nation to vote, or to form organizations to change things? That would be powerful.

Hip-hop is family, so everybody has to pitch in. East, west, north, or south-we came from one coast and that coast was Africa. This culture was born in the ghetto. We were born to die. We're surviving now, but we're not yet rising up. If we've got a problem, we've got to correct it. We can't be hypocrites. That''s what I hope the hip-hop can do, to take us all to the next level by always reminding us: It ain't about keeping real, it's about keeping it right.”

I'm scared of what hip-hop will become with all these kids listening to 50 and Em, positive and talented young brothers like me won't get a record deal if there are any of us left after a while. Now sometimes I have beef with the repeated subject matter that Jay-Z has but he never raps about killing his family members or makes fun of other celebrities, only when he's battlin' other rappers, and he got a great flow plus respects all the pioneers like Will Smith and LL and doesn't turn to diss them so I could respect him more than I could 50 or Em 'cause not only do they have lil' talent, they're also really annoying.

Edited by bigted

Eminem has self-esteem issuesf

Well thats for shure :lolsign:

I don`t like Eminem by the way..Not that you think I`m a Suporter! :davidblaine:

Oh and I`m wondering..Does anyone knows that Eminem track from that Jazzy Jeff Mixtape?I would realy like to hear that..

Edited by Turntable

Just a question: who votes for the Grammy Awards? Because Eminem won 9 Grammies all the same...

Yeah I don't know what's up with that, that's messed up, 2Pac never won any Grammies, KRS never won any Grammies, Nas never won any Grammies, Public Enemy never won any Grammies either, and yet we see low talented rappers like Nelly and Eminem win a whole bunch of Grammies now, Rakim considers Nelly an r&b artist 'cause he has no right to be dissin' KRS when he's singin' half the time and KRS is always flowin' rhymes not singin', at least back in the days high talented artists like JJFP, LL Cool J, and MC Hammer would win through hard work and dedication, Run-Dmc deserve a lifetime achievement Grammy for what they've done as well, they did a lot to get hip-hop to cross over, but now the gimmick rappers win on the most part except for Kanye West, Outkast, and Lauryn Hill recently, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Jones wins a Grammy instead of Will next year the way the industry's going! It's kinda ironic that Em talks like he doesn't care about winning a Grammy and yet doing all these gimmicks proves that he's only in it to win Grammies and sell a lot of records, Grammies should come off of hard work, not some gimmick, like Nas said:"You talk black/But your albums sound like they give you nuts for a plaque"

Edited by bigted

Just a question: who votes for the Grammy Awards? Because Eminem won 9 Grammies all the same...

Yeah I don't know what's up with that, that's messed up, 2Pac never won any Grammies, KRS never won any Grammies, Nas never won any Grammies, Public Enemy never won any Grammies either, and yet we see low talented rappers like Nelly and Eminem win a whole bunch of Grammies now, Rakim considers Nelly an r&b artist 'cause he has no right to be dissin' KRS when he's singin' half the time and KRS is always flowin' rhymes not singin', at least back in the days high talented artists like JJFP, LL Cool J, and MC Hammer would win through hard work and dedication, Run-Dmc deserve a lifetime achievement Grammy for what they've done as well, they did a lot to get hip-hop to cross over, but now the gimmick rappers win on the most part except for Kanye West, Outkast, and Lauryn Hill recently, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Jones wins a Grammy instead of Will next year the way the industry's going! It's kinda ironic that Em talks like he doesn't care about winning a Grammy and yet doing all these gimmicks proves that he's only in it to win Grammies and sell a lot of records, Grammies should come off of hard work, not some gimmick, like Nas said:"You talk black/But your albums sound like they give you nuts for a plaque"

Hmm...In fact, my question was "innocent"... I don't know who vote for the Grammy Awards -hence my question- (I guess this is people from music industry and music journalists?) but if Eminem was that bad as a rapper, he wouldn't win so much Grammies, don't you think? How do you explain that? (I precise I'm not a fan of Eminem but I like some of his songs)

Diddy won some Grammies too so does that make him a great rapper? :chuks: I think Vanilla Ice won a Grammy too, Nelly won Grammies, Lil' Kim won Grammies, Mase won Grammies, and Ja Rule won Grammies, now are they really the most talented rappers of all time? Record sales and Grammy's don't judge the greatness of an artist, it's a popularity contest, only the highest selling albums win, if it was about talent "Code Red" and "Illmatic" would've won Grammies. "Encore" sold way more than "Lost and Found" but is it really better than "Lost and Found"? It'll probably winning a Grammy instead of "Lost and Found", Outkast's last album wasn't their best album, it only won 'cause it sold a lot, "Big Willie Style" ain't really Will's best album even though it sold a lot and won a lot of awards, "Code Red" might be his best and it was his least selling album. Around this time Nas, Common, 2Pac, Biggie, Public Enemy, MC Lyte, Heavy D, and a whole bunch of talented rappers got snubbed that'd all destroy Em and all those wack mcs who won if they battled! Will should've won the Grammy for "Willenium" too and LL should've won one for "The G.O.A.T." since they're both easily better albums around that time than "Slim Shady LP" and "Marshall Mathers LP". lol, 3/4 of those that won Grammies in the last 10 years suck, lol, Vanilla Ice was the only wack mc to win one before that, the golden age is over now!

Edited by bigted

It certainly seems to me that the amount of Grammies an artist has won is not a good measure of how good they really are. It'll be interesting to see if Lost and Found can win any, it is one of the highest selling rap albums this year, and probably the best album overall. We'll see if they can get it right for once.

OK, maybe you're right about the value of the Grammy Awards...

Otherwise, bigted, you don't even like a little bit Eminem when he expresses himself about Bush (with "Mosh" for example)? By the way, did other rappers than him take position publicly for Bush (or more probably against Bush) for the last elections? And in particular what about Will?

Eminem gave an effort to criticise Bush, he gets some credit for that, but I think the "Mosh" song comes off ignorant and off point a lil' bit, a lot of rappers like Public Enemy, Common, Nas, and KRS-ONE drop political knowledge better than Eminem could ever dream of but they don't get the recognition he does and they'd be taken more seriously too if they were able to get that kinda airplay Em has 'cause they keep all their songs intelligent so I respect them more for that when they don't make themselves sound stupid in their other songs they do but if Em expressed himself more like that maybe I'd like him, he should be a lil' bit more conscious and stop talkin' about Hailey and Kim and making fun of other celebrities so much since that gets old and boring after a while since he's repeating the same things over and over, Eminem puts out too many trash songs to all of a sudden be taken serious when he dissed Bush, Kanye sounds a lil' ignorant too but he gives more effort than Em does, Will would get his facts right too if he ever criticised the president in a song.

Hey Bigted If you think the Eminem show is garbage You really don't know good rap.And when you say em isn't good for hip-hop who's hip-hop are Hip-hop is different.That what makes em great how would a black rapper sound rapping about mushrooms,acid,midgets,raping his mother.Em has crazy street cred because underneath that trailor trash rap there lies one of the greatest lyricist of our time.Eminem,rakim,big daddy kane,Masta Ace,kool moe dee.

I can't agree on any of those Eminem comments. The Eminem Show IS a garbage album. Not 2 say there isn't a good lyric here or there, but they are hard 2 find. His flow and delivery is just annoying now and the production waz straight crap. He no longer has anything 2 do with Hip-Hop...just the commerical rap scene. He had a solid Hip-Hop foundation when he broke out, but as he changed his style, he abandoned it...also abandoning his Hip-Hop fanbase...like myself. I used 2 love him, now i hate him.