JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

R&B songwriters C. Haggins/I.Barias mention JJFP!

bigted

Here's some of the article:

"To this day we still try and figure out how we're respect as R&B songwriters and producers, when we were originally pure hip-hop heads," says Ivan "Orthodox" Barias, 31, who along with Carvin "Ransum" Haggins, 35, were aspiring mcs before meeting at Jazzy Jeff's A Touch Of Jazz Studios in 1995. "The only reason I started doing r&b is because I hated what it had become," says Philadelphia native Haggins. Born in the Dominican Republic, Barias started making beats, he says, out of necessity. "The guy I used to get tracks from started frontin'" so I said, I'm gonna try to figure this out." And figure it out, he did. Barias and songwriter Haggins formed Karma Productions; they infuse the timelessness of Philly soul into love songs for artists like Musiq, Faith Evans, Joe, and Jamie Foxx, as well as develop new artists with their Home Cookin' Studios and Home Cookin Productions: "The goal is to make forever music," Haggins says. And since karma always comes back to you, their music is destined to do the same.

-Will Smith "Big Wllie Style"

I: We kept Will's philosophy that if you can imagine it, you can do it. He made you feel like you could try anything in the studio. What's the worst that could happen? If an idea didn't work, you'd just throw it away.

C: One day Jazzy Jeff was working on his mixtape and we had Eminem down there. This was before Eminem was Eminem. So, Em was writing this rap for Jeff's mixtape. When he looked up and saw Will walk in, he looked back down at his paper, but his pencil didn't move for a good five minutes. And then Will was like, "Oh you did the 'Bonnie and Clyde' record? Yo dude, you're really talented." And Em actually said, "You know, some of my storywriting concept comes from what you and Jeff did," which was the craziest thing."

So deep down Eminem really does respect Will, we could show this to all the haters that love Eminem, I got some haters in mind already! :rofl: :word:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't get why Eminem would turn around and diss Will. Why would you diss someone who inspires you?

He probably did it to cause controversey. It's like these cats coming out got no respect for the legends, like why'd Nelly diss KRS? why'd Cannibus diss LL? Tell me why! :mad: They just wanna benefit off of the controversy 'cause they suck. Em's whole career's a damn gimmick and more people're into the propoganda, Will's a class act that has proved that you can sell albums with talent not propoganda.

I hate that Crap about Eminem dissed Will!

That wasn`t a diss for the last time i think..

He said that Will doesn`t have to swear to sell records be he doe`s..That is just true..I don`t get what is a diss in that line!

Is that all he said? "Will doesn't have to swear to sell records, but he does..." Or did he add something else?

• Members

I hate that Crap about Eminem dissed Will!

That wasn`t a diss for the last time i think..

He said that Will doesn`t have to swear to sell records be he doe`s..That is just true..I don`t get what is a diss in that line!

Is that all he said? "Will doesn't have to swear to sell records, but he does..." Or did he add something else?

There was something from encore that seemed more malicious. It was something to the effect of flipping the line of Will's ( Rapper slash actor) I'll look it up because I'm not quite sure what song it was but he didnt say Will's name directly but who else could it be. I'll post by tonight.

Eminem said "F*** him and f*** you too", wow that's the most original diss ever, he's the Rakim of our generation! :rofl: :hmm: Will laughed it off himself when he was interviewed on the radio about that in 2001, he said that Em's career would end soon anyway, well it ain't soon enough so I think Will should end it for him and stop bein' mr. nice guy. I think even 10 year olds could write a better diss than that, he could use me as his ghostwriter! :stickpoke: 50 Cent does the same thing, he talks all the lame crap about New York rappers in a Vibe issue a few months ago but isn't he from New York? He's frontin' like he never listened to Nas and Fat Joe 10 years ago when he was growing up and they were the top rappers of New York now he wants to act like he's better than them, it's the same thing, they don't respect the legends.

Edited by bigted

wow great find Ted. To be honest I really suspected Em was inspired by JJFP. Either he was inspired by them or he'd never listened to them and came up with that kind of rap by himself... I was listening to the track Em did with Jeff yesterday and I'd completely forgotten about his line

"Back then, Will Smith was still The Fresh Prince, and him and Jeff were still best friends"

I still don't see why people think Will & Jeff fell out...

Well if I remember rite Em did an MTV special I think it was All Eyes On me thing. I remember Em saying that "diss" wasn't really a "diss" it was a joke :hmm: "Whatever" is what I thought of it. And Will is an ol' skool hiphop head he respects all forms of HipHop. Thats why WS didn't make a big deal about it. Like in his interview he did on westwood. WS respects Em as an artist and as a person. Cos WS could have said alot of things. Like talking about that interview...which would have Em busted :rofl: And well like BigTed said that diss is so lame 10yr old could have done better. :lolsign:

And great find, man :thumbsup:

Edited by Angel Amor

wow great find Ted. To be honest I really suspected Em was inspired by JJFP. Either he was inspired by them or he'd never listened to them and came up with that kind of rap by himself... I was listening to the track Em did with Jeff yesterday and I'd completely forgotten about his line

"Back then, Will Smith was still The Fresh Prince, and him and Jeff were still best friends"

I still don't see why people think Will & Jeff fell out...

Em must be Keith B Real! :lolsign: "Are you just frontin' Jazzy along for the cameras?", "Charlie Mack take care of him!" :pony: I knew it all along this ain't nothin' new, I think Chuck D's right when he said in one of his terrordomes about how Interscope give Eminem and 50 Cent ideas to sell albums, read between the lines there, he means that they tell them to start dissin' other celebrities and get into fights to sell them some records, the media'll eat it up. Well it's like Carin Haggins says there, "The goal is to make forever music.", JJFP inspire people like Carvin and Ivan to be positive influences through music and I think this'll last longer than the average scheme to sell records, even if Will sells less than Em right now, people'll look back and say that Will's a better rapper and they'll grow sick of Em gradually.

• Admin

C: One day Jazzy Jeff was working on his mixtape and we had Eminem down there. This was before Eminem was Eminem. So, Em was writing this rap for Jeff's mixtape. When he looked up and saw Will walk in, he looked back down at his paper, but his pencil didn't move for a good five minutes. And then Will was like, "Oh you did the 'Bonnie and Clyde' record? Yo dude, you're really talented." And Em actually said, "You know, some of my storywriting concept comes from what you and Jeff did," which was the craziest thing."

that needds to be posted at hip hop forums everywhere! :word: