JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

late-regist-L and F

Yes I do when I post what I'm listening to! :lolsign: I look over my posts and realise sometimes that I forgot to say something so I add it on that's all so I don't have to make 20 short posts! :gettinjiggywitit: Now I realised one more point I wanted to make, Will's voice is what sets him apart from 99% of the rap game, he's like Pac in that sense 'cause sometimes the simplist structure of a verse could be made to sound most powerful on songs like "Dear Mama" and "Tell Me Why", you could look at the lyrics on paper like a simple poem but when you hear the song they send chills through your back and blow you away, this is what's the problem of a lot of rappers today, they focus more on jumbling words together that might not make sense instead of working on the flow for the song so they might have a 50-line verse but they lack the emotion to make the songs powerful and I won't consider Kanye a legend unless he starts doing more songs on his own, me and Schnazz were discussing this yesterday, guest appearances on an album are annoying like a mixtape, you could have a few good ones but if you have like 10-20 they start to draw attention away from you on the most part, except albums like "The G.O.A.T.", "Willenium", and "Volume 2: Hard Knock Life", he needs to do an album like "Code Red", "Blueprint", and "Mama Said Knock You Out" where there's no guest appearances but he'd carry it enough himself to keep it entertaining, I don't know if I could stomach listening to an album with just him for 60 minutes though but he is improving and it could be possible, the guest appearances are actually the best parts of his album on the most part except for songs like "Jesus Walks" and "Family Buisiness". Mcs shouldn't be judged on age or record sales but that's what a lot of hip-hop fans focus on, Will's great at those though by outselling all the peers his age, but content needs to be focus on too, and he does shine bright in that department as well, he's popular, intelligent, has an incredible voice and has been an incredible lyricist for 20 years and is the one that expanded the platform for rappers now to be worldwide, not just East Coast or West Coast! :thumbsup:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Big Ted, I was halfway joking. Yes, people are gonna know of KRS before they know Acey, but what does that matter. He does have quite the gathering of loyal fans that stick through thick and thin. Heck, I know Acey's got some kind of following here in PHX. Whenever I go to a show, in between acts, what do the deejays usually spin...Public Enemy, KRS, Slick Rick, Rakim, Aceyalone, etc. The deejays have always fit him in with some of the greatest names in Hiphop.

If you take a listen to his four/five solos, and then what else he has innovated and been a part of (Fellowship, Haiku) and even blessing others with guest appearances and being on compilations like the Calicomm cd from this year, Okayplayer, and the upcoming NBA 2K6 soundtrack, his work ranks up there with ANYBODY'S! Some of the nicest stuff Hip Hop has ever heard, IMO. Anyways, it's hard to say he's G.O.A.T. with little mass recognition, so maybe one could make a better case for underground/indie champ or lesser...like the godfather of Cali Hip Hop (along with Del, perhaps).

Hey its good to find another Aceyalone fan around here! :word: He may not have sold millions of records.. but he would be one of the greatest emcees of all time.. and thats the truth! :thumbsup:

• Members

hmm..well i liked lost and found for what it was..but L R is all around better. We Major with Nas and kanye? WHAA!!! Diamonds with JayZ? anything with Jay gets a point. "Late" helllll yeah... "We Can Make It Better" (on the jap vr). yep. but the best album this year is Common's "Be" album.

hmm..well i liked lost and found for what it was..but L R is all around better.  We Major with Nas and kanye?  WHAA!!!  Diamonds with JayZ?  anything with Jay gets a point.  "Late"  helllll yeah...  "We Can Make It Better" (on the jap vr).  yep.  but the best album this year is Common's "Be" album.

IMO...Zion I's "True & Livin'." Have u heard that?

hmm..well i liked lost and found for what it was..but L R is all around better.  We Major with Nas and kanye?  WHAA!!!  Diamonds with JayZ?  anything with Jay gets a point.  "Late"  helllll yeah...  "We Can Make It Better" (on the jap vr).  yep.  but the best album this year is Common's "Be" album.

Nas and Jay-Z totally outshined Kanye though right? If Will did a song with them he'd be able hang to with them on the track better than Kanye could! :stickpoke:

Well actually We major is pretty close between them even though i would say Nas makes it better. Jay-Z and Kanye can't be compared, two totally different subjects.

But the best guest verse on the albums is cam'rons. And he would've otushined K on it of not West had done his probably best verse on the album at the end of Gone. his flow and rhymestrucuture is insane and the lyrics are wow.

I wasn't saying that as hating Kanye but I was making that as constructive criticism, Kanye is not in the same league as Jay-Z and Nas, they're in that league with Will: the hall of fame of hip-hop, Kanye did enough not to embarass himself though I'll admit but Jay-Z and Nas stole the show somewhat like they usually do, Cam'ron is impressive, that's the best verse I heard from him in a while, I'm not a huge fan of his but if he keeps spitting verses like that I'll start buying his albums too.

btw, here's Vibe's review for "Late Registration":

Late Registration

By Serena Kim, Vibe October 2005 Issue

"West Keeps His Ideals Lofty On Late"

4 Vibes Out Of 5(Superior)

When Kanye West strikes that right combination of social consciousness and street credability, the message in his medium is magical. West landed a song about Jesus on the radio, and here, on the exhilaratingly original "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," he's the first mainstream rapper to draw a connection between music-industry ice and Africa's endemic political and economic crises. And that message is even louder when he gets Jay-Z on the remix.

But despite this exciting lead single, don't expect Late Registration to blow your brains. Maybe it's because West already transformed urban music from top to bottom with last year's "The College Dropout" and in his more recent beats for John Legend and Common. With a flair for drama and a rapacious sampling of old soul, West started a much-needed intergenerational conversation. And his most brilliant contribution was expressing self-doubt when swagger was the norm. Thuis time, West ambitiously attempts to depart from the street sensibilities of Dropout by giving Late Registration a shiny, quasi-alt-pop finish.

Still, the album's recurring theme is a familiar one for West fans: "How can something that's to be bad make me feel so good?" While it is the quintessential ip-hop dillemma, his repeated mea culpa on materialism is tiring. Like your skinny friend who won't shut up about her weight-either love it or leave it or leave it alone. In his earlier work, West was trying to prove that he was as street as he was conscious, and now that he's proved himself(and rubbed our faces in it), he's more confortable taking his prodigious musicality to soaring new heights.

Equipped with a grandiose vision and an expert ear, West experiments with darkly rendered marchig-band drums, sweeping orchestral vistas, and chopped-and-screwed-meets-G-funk. Marron5's Adam Levine makes a surprise appearance on "Heard 'Em Say" and delivers a straight-up R&B performance. "Gone" highlights Cam'Ron's gritty and ignorant cameo, which contrasts nicely with West's tightly would braininess. Even after Consequence drops a crisp verse, the song morphs from its frenetic soul piano loop to an explosion of strings, replete with harps and cellos. It's one of many songs that have abrupt musical shifts reminiscent of the Beatles' experimental stage.

Late is also more thematically focused than The College Dropout. It's packed with big ideas about black power and hypocrisy and populated with memorably drawn: personalties: a golddigger who's "got a baby by Busta"; a bejeweled 16-year old stunner on the extremely dope "Drive Slow," featuring GLC and Paul Wall.

But, there are still too many touchy-feely songs. On the gratingly folksy "Hey Mama," West comes off like the obedient grandson who practices piano inside while the bad kids spit ciphers on the block. When he's less earnest, things are more fulfilling. On "Celebration," West gets chuckles with, "We was practicing till one day your ass bust through the package/And you know what though? You my favorite accident." He sounds more relevant when he joins the street kids instead of pandering to grandmas, Grammys, and grammarians.

West wins when he keeps his ideals lofty. It's a thin line between commercial and conscious, between G.O.O.D. and bad, and that's bad meaning good.

Edited by bigted

i was watching mtv base and trever nelson (uk dj and music host) was doing some album reviews and he spoke about Kayne and he basically summed up what i thought. He said Kayne would be average in a time of a tribe called quest, jungle brothers etc but hip hop at the moment is in a 50 cent stage. He said so compared to other artists out right now, Kaynes album was perfect.

I was surpised reading that review actually. I love vibe and their reviews, but this one (i ain't going into the music) lacked in truth. First of all the "How can something that's to be bad make me feel so good" line is from a girlie song. the ONLY song that talks about these things is the Diamond remix. As u know, Vibe and Kanye also got a beef so...

the part about hey mama is pretty much hating.

I could critize the album in a more musical way, but coming up with things like that is pretty weak. But still, Vibe is one of my fav mags

I was surpised reading that review actually. I love vibe and their reviews, but this one (i ain't going into the music) lacked in truth. First of all the "How can something that's to be bad make me feel so good" line is from a girlie song. the ONLY song that talks about these things is the Diamond remix. As u know, Vibe and Kanye also got a beef so...

the part about hey mama is pretty much hating.

I could critize the album in a more musical way, but coming up with things like that is pretty weak. But still, Vibe is one of my fav mags

Well no album gets perfect reviews from everybody, people even diss "Paid In Full", "Reasonable Doubt", "He's The DJ...", and "It Takes A Nation Of Millions..." type albums(at least the ones who don't have a brain to understand good music) giving a 4 out 5 is a good review, that's what I'd give it too, they didn't even bother to review "Lost and Found" so I think Will should bumrush the Vibe office! :pony: There's an article in there though where r&b songwriters that Jazzy Jeff discovered mention that Eminem told Will that he inspired him to do storytellin'. btw, I agree with Trevor Nelson if he was out 15 years ago when MC Hammer, JJFP, Tribe Called Quest, and LL were all dominating the airwaves he'd be average in fact less 'cause he was somewhat influenced from them as well.

Edited by bigted