JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Common.. a racist?

Hero1

I know nothing of the Rastafarian religion, so I went looking and came across this page:    http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/rast.html

Here's something it said: "early in the history of the movement Leonard Howell gave the Rastafarians six fundamental principles:"

1 Hatred for the white race.

2 The complete superiority of the black race.

3 Revenge on whites for their wickedness.

4 The negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica.

5 Preparation to go back to Africa, and

6 Acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of black people

That didn't say anything about wearing dreads means you can't date white people.

Well... I think "hatred for the white race" may set some limits on relationships between the two races...

Tim, if it is possible, could you post whatever media Common's statements are in or on. Rappers are starting to say more and more stupid things, and it's like... Et tu Common...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know nothing of the Rastafarian religion, so I went looking and came across this page:    http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/rast.html

Here's something it said: "early in the history of the movement Leonard Howell gave the Rastafarians six fundamental principles:"

4 The negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica.

6 Acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of black people

That didn't say anything about wearing dreads means you can't date white people.

Well... I think "hatred for the white race" may set some limits on relationships between the two races...

Tim, if it is possible, could you post whatever media Common's statements are in or on. Rappers are starting to say more and more stupid things, and it's like... Et tu Common...

"hatred for the white race" has nothing to do with the wearing of dreads.

I'd also like to point out there are different groups of Rastafarians, so don't think all Rastas hate white people.

"hatred for the white race" has nothing to do with the wearing of dreads.

I'd also like to point out there are different groups of Rastafarians, so don't think all Rastas hate white people.

No, all Rastas don't hate white people, just as all Jews don't forbid mixing with gentiles. However, perhaps the Rastas that do hate white people consider those that don't not to be true Rastas, just as the Ultra Orthodox Jews shun the Jews that allow mixing. :shrug:

The Rastafarian movement WAS founded on racial grounds though, so it just makes sense that those Rastas who are purists would be more than a little upset at dreadlocked black men dating white women.

Again, my question to ANYONE who would don dreads, why would you emulate the most visible aspect of a religion if you did not wish to IDENTIFY with that religion? Hmmmm.....? :stickpoke:

• Members

I gotta say I was completely ignorant to the rastafarian movement.. next time I see a white dude with dreds I might ask them if they have hatred for the white race  :sick:

Well it wouldn't exactly be right to ask them that since dreads are a sign of the Nazarite.

I don't know what's going on if this is true, these rastafarians sound extremely racist against whites, I mean if Common's supporting these people it'd be an embarassment for hip-hop's image, in fact it might kill a lot of it 'cause he's one of the most positive brothers out there, his career will be tarnished, I just don't see how he could be that kinda racist since a lot of white people attend his shows, I won't believe this until I hear audio 'cause even Will likes Common, this would be devasting for hip-hop, I don't know what to believe anymore! :damnlorettas:

I don't know if this was racist or not, it really depends on how he said it and what he meant. If he's trying to say "All these guys are wearing the badge of this religion, but aren't actually following it..." it'd be one thing. From the quote, he could have even been implying that it's stupid to wear dreds because it's a symbol of racism...

Of course, if he was saying "don't date white girls if your a Rasta", then that'd be racist.

If this is true, what next: LL Cool J getting arrested? :therain: :damnyou:

i dont think it was a racist remark, he was probably pointing out the fact that these people sport the dreadlock without knowing what it stands for, it like if i were to dress like buddhist monk and then go out and eat meat. Or if i started wearing a Cross and then worshippeed Buddha or something.

p.s. Australia is a great place to live, hardly no racisism!!! here in sydney, we have Viets, Aborigine's, Irish, English, American, African, Kenyan, Chinese, Koreans, japanese, indians, sri lankens, Tongans, etc.... so many to name

Edited by shuga

• Members

I don't know what's going on if this is true, these rastafarians sound extremely racist against whites, I mean if Common's supporting these people it'd be an embarassment for hip-hop's image, in fact it might kill a lot of it 'cause he's one of the most positive brothers out there, his career will be tarnished, I just don't see how he could be that kinda racist since a lot of white people attend his shows, I won't believe this until I hear audio 'cause even Will likes Common, this would be devasting for hip-hop, I don't know what to believe anymore!  :damnlorettas:

Rastafarians of today are a bit different than they once were, there are white Rastas.

I don't know what's going on if this is true, these rastafarians sound extremely racist against whites, I mean if Common's supporting these people it'd be an embarassment for hip-hop's image, in fact it might kill a lot of it 'cause he's one of the most positive brothers out there, his career will be tarnished, I just don't see how he could be that kinda racist since a lot of white people attend his shows, I won't believe this until I hear audio 'cause even Will likes Common, this would be devasting for hip-hop, I don't know what to believe anymore!  :damnlorettas:

Rastafarians of today are a bit different than they once were, there are white Rastas.

Well if there are white rastas then it ain't that bad then what Common said, phew, lol. :davidblaine: