JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Common.. a racist?

Hero1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im callin rastafarians who believe black people with dreadlocks shouldnt date white women racists...

well that is the problem of American culture.. everything is black and white.. guess its not like that round the world..

Then, you're calling ALL Rastafarians racist.

It's WORSE in Australia! :stickpoke:

2 entries found for racist.

rac·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rszm)

n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Sounds like being racist to me.

Fine, then you're calling Rastafarians racist. No skin off my nose. Just don't go wearing dreads and not expect them to complain about it.

:1-say-yes:

I'd have 2 read/hear the whole interview 2 see where Common is coming from. I would be disappointed 2 find out he's against mixed relationships...especially since i've been in a few. Common Sense has always been a down 2 earth, intellegent, spiritual kinda guy which is why i don't see him thinking like that. I'm thinkin' that maybe he saying that people who embrace the "pro black" image contradict themselves when they are seeing someone of another color. But this is the 2000's....stuff like dreads are now just fashion, not a political statement.

I totally see why this is getting attention, but how much of this song that these guys recroded is from the heart and how much of it is them trying 2 get their names out there so they can get success?

Most rappers say at least one stupid thing in their career....ha ha. Run always gets misquoted, FP has that line "all the homeboys that got AIDS, be quiet." As long as Common dosen't go back on this topic and take it further, i might count this as his "stupid comment" of his career.

I'd have 2 read/hear the whole interview 2 see where Common is coming from.  I would be disappointed 2 find out he's against mixed relationships...especially since i've been in a few.  Common Sense has always been a down 2 earth, intellegent, spiritual kinda guy which is why i don't see him thinking like that.  I'm thinkin' that maybe he saying that people who embrace the "pro black" image contradict themselves when they are seeing someone of another color.  But this is the 2000's....stuff like dreads are now just fashion, not a political statement.

I totally see why this is getting attention, but how much of this song that these guys recroded is from the heart and how much of it is them trying 2 get their names out there so they can get success?

Most rappers say at least one stupid thing in their career....ha ha.  Run always gets misquoted, FP has that line "all the homeboys that got AIDS, be quiet."  As long as Common dosen't go back on this topic and take it further, i might count this as his "stupid comment" of his career.

But, if you take an aspect of somebody's religion and turn it into a fashion statement, don't they have the right to complain about it? And from what I got from Hero's post, he's not saying that these black guys shouldn't date white girls, just that they should cut off their dreads if they do.

btw, Cozmo D, did you ever talk to Common before since you're also a hip-hop artist, did you ever talk to JJFP before either since FP sampled one of your songs on "Born To Reign"?

Well I hope it's not true that Common said that. Hope it was just taken out of context. I'm like AJ I need 2 read that whole interview. Cos I have been put down by my own brother 4 an interracial relationship.

• Members

Where in the Rastafarian religion does it say you can't date white people if you're sporting dreads? Rastafarians wear dreads because it is apart of the Nazarite Vow. And I don't think that vow said anything about interracial relationships.

I know nothing of the Rastafarian religion, so I went looking and came across this page: http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/rast.html

Here's something it said: "early in the history of the movement Leonard Howell gave the Rastafarians six fundamental principles:"

1 Hatred for the white race.

2 The complete superiority of the black race.

3 Revenge on whites for their wickedness.

4 The negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica.

5 Preparation to go back to Africa, and

6 Acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of black people

• Members

I know nothing of the Rastafarian religion, so I went looking and came across this page:    http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/rast.html

Here's something it said: "early in the history of the movement Leonard Howell gave the Rastafarians six fundamental principles:"

1 Hatred for the white race.

2 The complete superiority of the black race.

3 Revenge on whites for their wickedness.

4 The negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica.

5 Preparation to go back to Africa, and

6 Acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of black people

That didn't say anything about wearing dreads means you can't date white people.