JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West causes controversy on NBC

Frenetic

• Admin

interesting about FEMA schnazz.. I would have thought large scale natural disasters should be a 100% federal contribution.. when an entire state is demolished like in louisiana the federal government is the only one who can pull the resources to deal with that..

I noticed Fox News was trying to lay all the blame on the governor today..surprise surprise.. :sick:

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to get off topic, but i really hope Will donates something. i'm watching Oprah right now and they're interviewing Jamie Foxx and Celine Dion about the situation. they also have other stories on other channels where this guy goes into the superdome and is just blown away by the filth and then he took a trip with the rescue team. i really hope Will can do something for this. i have tears in my eyes right now.

• Admin

see....tim.....that is where the blame lies first and foremost.......the governor controls the National Guard. Do you people not understand that fact? Why were his units not mobilized?

why does the governor control the NATIONAL guard tho? :shrug: if the governor isnt doing his job why doesnt the federal government just step in and take over? :stickpoke:

The Federal Govt controls the reserves..........the only time the feds can call up the National Guard is when Congress enacts a bill that authorizes the pres to do so. See, Tim, Im gonna let you slide on this since you are in a country that doesnt matter anyways.. The National Guard formed from the militia men of the late 1700s. They are there for the State first, Country second. It was the duty of the Gov of LA to make sure that the Guard was activated and ready to assist when it happened. He failed. What you need to understand, is that Im not saying that I am not embarrassed by the way this was handled, but Kanyes statement was obtuse in nature and completely irrelivant to what needed to be done.

Edited by Chief

sorry....thought a few of the peeps here had some thick skin..:)

but hey...i still thought it was funny

It's all good homie! :lolsign:

see....tim.....that is where the blame lies first and foremost.......the governor controls the National Guard. Do you people not understand that fact? Why were his units not mobilized?

Yes, in the case of Louisiana, the governor should be first in line for blame. The mayor needs to line up right behind her. But, the most DISGRACEFUL performance was given by our president! When we saw how the Mississippi coast was wiped out on TV he was nowhere to be seen. When the levee broke in New Orleans he broke out for a party. When outrage and outcry finally demanded that he make an appearance he gave a smiling, smirking speech about law and order. What a total waste of space!

I was just trying to find my last post to edit it but I'm gonna say this as my last post in this topic, no matter what anybody here says I'm sticking by what Kanye West said, 98% of black people feel this way so it's not just a trend, the government doesn't care about us and like Kanye says in "Jesus Walks": "We're at war with terrorism/racism", it might take you longer to realise this but one day you will, it goes beyond just statistics too since sometimes the media might change them so they could hold onto their jobs, you could see for yourself on TV how messed up it is, I don't need to see a stat sheet to tell me that this is caious and people are pissed about it, people of all color are frustrated right now, hey if somebody doesn't help you what are you supposed to do? Violence ain't the answer but you can't just lie down and die if nobody tries to help you, it's good to know that government is slowly gettin' their act together over the last day or so 'cause this could've lead to violence if it went on like this further, people have been dying by the minute and when you see people dying around you you won't be thinking clearly that's for damn sure, it's easy for us to say that now since we haven't experienced it for ourselves. I think this issue is bigger beyond what Kanye said, that's a small factor right now, they ignore the hip-hop community anyway but at least he gave an effort to show the streets that he does care he risked his career by even saying anything and they give him more respect for that now, he could've said something even more controversial but he kept his composure and I admire that but the main goal is to get everybody out of there safe as possible, hopefully the government learns something from this so they won't screw up if it happens again, peace!

• Admin

Yes, in the case of Louisiana, the governor should be first in line for blame. The mayor needs to line up right behind her. But, the most DISGRACEFUL performance was given by our president! When we saw how the Mississippi coast was wiped out on TV he was nowhere to be seen. When the levee broke in New Orleans he broke out for a party. When outrage and outcry finally demanded that he make an appearance he gave a smiling, smirking speech about law and order. What a total waste of space!

Yeah you need leadership in times of crisis.. and I never saw George Bush providin any... :word:

why does the governor control the NATIONAL guard tho? :shrug: if the governor isnt doing his job why doesnt the federal government just step in and take over? :stickpoke:

The Federal government can't do that. The governor is an elected official of that state. As a result, the government cannot seize power from her. The govenor has to sign over her authority before the federal government can take over. The national guard would be under the control of the governor until she signs over her authority. Gotta love bureaucracy.

OK...my final reply on this....... Kanye was wrong to try and draw some sort of line in the sand at this time. Now is not the time for us to be divided. Its the time for us to be united and help.

F u c k people.....humans are dying down there................who cares what color your damn skin is.......

P.S. Now if it was a s hi t load of baby seals..I say fuq em and lets go clubbin...

Edited by Chief

Yes, people shooting at rescue workers is unacceptable.  People shooting at ANYBODY is unacceptable.  Kanye was reacting to the "shoot to kill" orders that were issued, because he and every other black American knows that when it comes down to us it's "shoot first, ask questions later".
I think some of you guys are under the impression that this was just petty crime and shoot to kill orders are too strident. Lets clarify. Here's a short quote from ABC.

Thousands of troops have struggled to counter armed looters and help tens of thousands of refugees flee New Orleans, where chaos reigns three days after Hurricane Katrina.

Here is what the black mayor of Louisiana did...

The lawlessness distracted from frantic efforts to evacuate the city, where Nagin took hundreds of exhausted police off search and rescue duties to fight the looting gangs.

Does someone want to say that the mayor was motivated by race to go after these looters?

Here's another quote...

There were reports of gunbattles and rapes with gangs of looters and carjackers roaming in the streets and bodies lying by the roadside. Some helicopters bringing relief supplies were shot at and arsonists set fire to some of the few buildings still standing in the city.

I just want to clarify that these weren't isolated incidents... One shooting here... one raping there... This was widespead.

So when the governor of Louisiana (not the federal government) gives shoot to kill orders, I don't think she's being whimsical.

Also, you asked why Kanye would need to balance what he said on air. He mentions that troops are being sent to shoot black people. Does he mention why troops have been given shoot to kill orders. This is where the bias becomes glaring. In the face of the arson, looting, raping and general unrest in the city, his beef is with the fact that troops are being sent in to regain order, even if they have to use force. He doesn't have any beef with those who are hindering relief efforts.

Kanye spoke what was on his mind and in his heart, and I applaud that.  Yes, the choice of forum was poor, but it served as a wake-up call for some about how most of Black America is forced to view this.  To think there are no racial connotations involved in this, whether intentional or not, is to stick your head in the sand.

The mayor of New Orlenes made mistakes. He too, like the federal government, was slow to act. He failed to evacuate much of his city. As a result, many people drowned in their homes. The mayor of New Orlenes is black.

What are the racial connotations of his failure to act quickly?

Yes, people shooting at rescue workers is unacceptable.  People shooting at ANYBODY is unacceptable.  Kanye was reacting to the "shoot to kill" orders that were issued, because he and every other black American knows that when it comes down to us it's "shoot first, ask questions later".

I think some of you guys are under the impression that this was just petty crime and shoot to kill orders are too strident. Lets clarify. Here's a short quote from ABC.

Thousands of troops have struggled to counter armed looters and help tens of thousands of refugees flee New Orleans, where chaos reigns three days after Hurricane Katrina.

Here is what the black mayor of Louisiana did...

The lawlessness distracted from frantic efforts to evacuate the city, where Nagin took hundreds of exhausted police off search and rescue duties to fight the looting gangs.

Does someone want to say that the mayor was motivated by race to go after these looters?

Here's another quote...

There were reports of gunbattles and rapes with gangs of looters and carjackers roaming in the streets and bodies lying by the roadside. Some helicopters bringing relief supplies were shot at and arsonists set fire to some of the few buildings still standing in the city.

I just want to clarify that these weren't isolated incidents... One shooting here... one raping there... This was widespead.

So when the governor of Louisiana (not the federal government) gives shoot to kill orders, I don't think she's being whimsical.

Also, you asked why Kanye would need to balance what he said on air. He mentions that troops are being sent to shoot black people. Does he mention why troops have been given shoot to kill orders. This is where the bias becomes glaring. In the face of the arson, looting, raping and general unrest in the city, his beef is with the fact that troops are being sent in to regain order, even if they have to use force. He doesn't have any beef with those who are hindering relief efforts.

Kanye spoke what was on his mind and in his heart, and I applaud that.  Yes, the choice of forum was poor, but it served as a wake-up call for some about how most of Black America is forced to view this.  To think there are no racial connotations involved in this, whether intentional or not, is to stick your head in the sand.
The mayor of New Orlenes made mistakes. He too, like the federal government, was slow to act. He failed to evacuate much of his city. As a result, many people drowned in their homes. The mayor of New Orlenes is black.

What are the racial connotations of his failure to act quickly?

I don't know about "some of you people" but I understand completely what was going on. What YOU don't seem to understand is that black people realize that when the orders to shoot to kill are pointed in our direction we all tend to look alike. Almost every black American understands this, and Kanye was simply voicing this concern.

I myself have not said and am not saying that ANYONE was racist. I would appreciate if you read what I write instead of making assumptive interpretations. What I am pointing out are the RACIAL IMPLICATIONS that are rife within the New Orleans situation. There may not have been a single racist person involved or a single racist act committed, but the entire SITUATION in New Orleans was OVERTLY, YET PERCEPTIBLY RACIST!

They were almost all black, and were left to suffer and die for DAYS! They were almost all black, and those who COULD have saved them REFUSED because the situation was dangerous. They were almost all black, and the media and many of their fellow Americans are calling them refugees. They were almost all black, and THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES first ignores their suffering, then addresses it with an unmoving, smirking speech about law and order. Of course, white people will then say "but it could have happened to anybody"... but black people will answer, "but naturally it happened to us!"

What you don't seem to understand is that racism is so deeply imbedded within our culture that it no longer needs racists to survive. Racism does NOT have to be intentional. Racism does NOT have to be institutional. Racism does NOT have to be personal. Racism does NOT even have to be directed. Racism is so imbedded in the crux of the American System and the depths of the American Psyche that it does not even have to be implemented, it simply implements itself!