JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What's this lyric mean?

Schnazz

I've been listening to Tell Me Why so many times now and for the life of me, I can't figure out what this lyric means:

"... got rice under Buddha lazy"

What's "Buddha lazy" ? I understand the whole we got more stores then they got rice, and I know who Buddha is, but the lazy part's seriously throwing me.

I wonder that myself. AT first I thought it was Buddha, lazy but that still even with the comma doesn't really make sense 2 me. :hmm:

I mighet be wrong, but i recall something in buddhism abut lazyness.

i can't really explain it either but i took it mean that food is in abundance in certain places, and in other places people are starving to death...I don't know what "rice under Budda Lazy" means but I'm guessing that there's LOTS of something there, but we have even more stores and people are going without food...i don't know if i'm making sense, so i'll stop lol

• Members

Im not 100% sure but I think it is a reference to the less fortunate people in the third world countries. The reason I say this is because one of there main substance for living is rice. I think what Will is trying to say is we have got more stores in America or rich countries, than the third world countries have got grains of rice.

Edited by Polar Bear

Yea, the entire line is effectively saying (like ya'll said) "we have more stores than poor nations have rice", basically a comment about the US's rampent consumerism in contrast to other area's of the world that are struggling to eat.

But why "Buddha lazy" ? Is "Buddha lazy" a doctrine of thought? Why does that line end with the word "lazy" ?