JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will and Interscope are making me mad

njc2b5

• Members

Alright I'm frustrated. I have been waiting, like everyone else here, for the Party Starter release (which was delayed forever), and now the Party Starter Video (can something be delayed longer than forever, cause it seems like there trying).

I've heard all of the don't blame Will opinions, and its Interscopes fault, and in regards to the late single and video release they are probably right. Interscope is definetly dropping the ball. :damnlorettas:

Still, Will is not promoting this single anywhere. Hes not on TV promoting the single, hes not in the papers promoting the single, hes not on tour promoting the single. I know he has a movie, but if he really cared so much about rapping like hes said in the last 2 albums and countless interviews when L&F came out, he would be putting the movie career on the side burner and promoting the hell out of this album still.

If the movies were like a chick on the side, then the flow is not getting enough attention.

Still, the Party Starter single is continuing to rise on the charts at a steady rate (There continues to be about a 130 song spin gain for every 7 days so there has been no slow down). That is probably what frustrates me the most. Here Will makes this fantastic album, releases a completely dope single, and the only way the song is actually surviving and gaining is by its own merits. Its great music, and the public is picking up on that. But this could have already been a top 10 single, we could already be talking about the release of Tell Me Why (heck if things were done right they could have been on 5th single by now).

So c'mon, do some damm promoting already... Will... Interscope... I don't care but somebody do something already! :jada:

Alright I'm frustrated.  I have been waiting, like everyone else here, for the Party Starter release (which was delayed forever), and now the Party Starter Video (can something be delayed longer than forever, cause it seems like there trying).

I've heard all of the don't blame Will opinions, and its Interscopes fault, and in regards to the late single and video release they are probably right.  Interscope is definetly dropping the ball.   :damnlorettas:

Still, Will is not promoting this single anywhere.  Hes not on TV promoting the single, hes not in the papers promoting the single, hes not on tour promoting the single.  I know he has a movie, but if he really cared so much about rapping like hes said in the last 2 albums and countless interviews when L&F came out, he would be putting the movie career on the side burner and promoting the hell out of this album still.

If the movies were like a chick on the side, then the flow is not getting enough attention.

Still, the Party Starter single is continuing to rise on the charts at a steady rate (There continues to be about a 130 song spin gain for every 7 days so there has been no slow down).   That is probably what frustrates me the most.  Here Will makes this fantastic album, releases a completely dope single, and the only way the song is actually surviving and gaining is by its own merits.  Its great music, and the public is picking up on that.  But this could have already been a top 10 single, we could already be talking about the release of Tell Me Why (heck if things were done right they could have been on 5th single by now).

So c'mon, do some damm promoting already... Will... Interscope... I don't care but somebody do something already!  :jada:

Step in the reality man, Will's done a lot of promotion for this album over the last few months, if people haven't bought the album by now they ain't gonna buy it, commercial rap fans ain't into Will anymore, they think he's too old, it ain't '97 anymore, everybody loves Eminem and 50 Cent now, it ain't like Rev. Run's gonna sell anything when his album drops either, I still seen his video since it debuted 2 weeks ago on 106 & Park, the public doesn't want ol' school rappers anymore, sad but true, crying over it ain't gonna help, you should be happy that the album came out and screw what the public thinks, Will already said in an interview that it doesn't matter if his album sells 300,000 or 13 million, it's just about expressing his art and that's what he did, I got nomore to say.

Edited by bigted

• Members

Step in the reality man, Will's done a lot of promotion for this album over the last few months, if people haven't bought the album by now they ain't gonna buy it, commercial rap fans ain't into Will anymore, they think he's too old, it ain't '97 anymore, everybody loves Eminem and 50 Cent now, it ain't like Rev. Run's gonna sell anything when his album drops either, I still seen his video since it debuted 2 weeks ago on 106 & Park, the public doesn't want ol' school rappers anymore, sad but true, crying over it ain't gonna help, you should be happy that the album came out and screw what the public thinks, Will already said in an interview that it doesn't matter if his album sells 300,000 or 13 million, it's just about expressing his art and that's what he did, I got nomore to say.

I'm not saying he didn't do good early promotion, but when you release a new single you do promotion for that specific song. Nothing is happening. As far as sales are conserned, I still think L&F can sell 1 million. But this isn't about sales, this is about getting the songs out to the public. Party starter could be in the top 10 already and all it would have taken was a little promotion either from Will or Interscope.

if Interscope would have promoted this right I wouldn't be getting mad at either group, but no one has really promoted this single at all (except for sending out the single and making the music video which has STILL yet to be aired)

I don't know how anyone can't be frustrated with the current situation.

i feel ya man. at least if the single was released last night at the VMA's it would have been getting incredible promotion. now that ship has sailed. to be honest, i really wouldn't expect Will to do much promoting on the album since he did a ton of promoting on L&F's release and a couple months beyond that and he's working on a movie now. the VMA's would have been a good chance for the video to get promotion without Will having to take time out and promote it himself. unfortunatly that would be happening so it looks like it's gonna get poor promotion in addition to be released late. i'm not really upset because i got over that a long time ago. i guess sales isn't everying in the world, you know? there comes a time when u just have 2 let it go and 4get about it.

• Admin

if interscope had released the video on time will could have promoted party starter.. now hes doing a movie so once again the music misses out.. i still wouldnt blame Will.. Will hasnt made a movie in over 16 months.. he was focusing on the music.. thats a long time for the biggest movie star in the world who makes 20 million a movie..he would have had big movie studios pressuring him to make the next one..he probably resisted as long as he could..unfortunately interscopes delays.. switch 8 months album 3 months party starter 2+ months.. have cost wills music and lost & found

I can't leave FP blameless on this one. Come on, he's in charge of his career...reguardless of record labels and stuff like that. He's not pushing for Lost + Found 2 do anything. He's not performing or doing interviews.

• Admin

I can't leave FP blameless on this one.  Come on, he's in charge of his career...reguardless of record labels and stuff like that.  He's not pushing for Lost + Found 2 do anything.  He's not performing or doing interviews.

are you serious? Will performed Switch over 20 times on so many shows..did concerts.. did interviews..thats the most hes done in probably 15 years.. Because Interscope delayed party starter so will couldnt perform it and promote it he's not gonna be able to do with party starter what he did with Switch.. I don't see why anyone should blame Will..he's done nothing but work tirelessly to promote the album..interscopes done nothing..except delay things and make it harder for him :damnlorettas:

Will should have some of the blame. If he really really wanted to, Party Starter would be out by now and if he really really wanted to, Lost & Found would be selling a lot more now... but Will doesnt care about sales as much as we do. Interscope should of course have most of the blame tho, but still, Will should have done more.

I think AJ is right! And if you ask me, Lost & Found is going to be another Born To Reign album! Don't get me wrong, this album is much better then B2R, but it wasn't promoted right! With B2R they had one single and then months later, when nobody cared no more, they had a second single!

This is what's happening right now...All those cats that bought the album for Switch aren't waiting for a new single! And Party Starter is a good single, but who want's to party during fall? Tell Me Why would be way better!

And Will is to blame, when the album did come out he could have just said "I'm not doing movies this year, so i can promote this album' He has done music for a couple months and yes he has preformed some songs, but only 1 song from the new album! He could have done Party Starter more if you ask me, and he could have done Tell Me Why on Live 8!

I think he can revive Lost + Found even if it takes awhile for the next video, it's just gonna be alot harder if that's how he dose it. The hype dies away a little each week. If he really found the rapper in him, why is he waiting so long 2 get things jumping off?

I can't leave FP blameless on this one.  Come on, he's in charge of his career...reguardless of record labels and stuff like that.  He's not pushing for Lost + Found 2 do anything.  He's not performing or doing interviews.

are you serious? Will performed Switch over 20 times on so many shows..did concerts.. did interviews..thats the most hes done in probably 15 years.. Because Interscope delayed party starter so will couldnt perform it and promote it he's not gonna be able to do with party starter what he did with Switch.. I don't see why anyone should blame Will..he's done nothing but work tirelessly to promote the album..interscopes done nothing..except delay things and make it harder for him :damnlorettas:

:word: This is more like "Code Red" situation, that was probably the best promoted JJFP album and this is the best promoted Big Will album, although sales might not reflect that, I think the problem is that most commercial rap fans don't give Will a chance and just like that gangsta crap, I've been on a lot of commercial rap fans and it's quite hard to persuade them, even when I show them the lyrics to "Party Starter" to still call Will a fag and think he's soft, I could even post up a couple of them if you want me to, they're just too ignorant to give him a chance.

Y'all gotta realize that it isn't FP deciding these things, it's a PR and Marketing team put together by Overbrook & Interscope. Getting people on shows ain't easy if they ain't got anything new to come with, cause tv-shows can always find something hot that attracts people.

It's gone too long time for him to promote in the same way he did at the album launch.

The Golden oppotunity eas at Live 8 and NBA finals. If he had done PS it would've jumpen off. He didn't and it isn't only his fault, it is mainly Interscope and His marketing teams fault.

Y'all gotta realize that it isn't FP deciding these things, it's a PR and Marketing team put together by Overbrook & Interscope. Getting people on shows ain't easy if they ain't got anything new to come with, cause tv-shows can always find something hot that attracts people.

It's gone too long time for him to promote in the same way he did at the album launch.

The Golden oppotunity eas at Live 8 and NBA finals. If he had done PS it would've jumpen off. He didn't and it isn't only his fault, it is mainly Interscope and His marketing teams fault.

Agreed... I don't think that we can speak definitively because none of us are sure of what the dynamics are behind the promotion of the album and we're not exactly sure of what the roles of the respective companies are.

Promotion could have been, and can still be better. I hope none of ya'll are surprised... I've been saying that this could happen for a while now.