JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

THE PARTY CAN START LATER...

Will was planning on releasing "Tell Me Why" as the 2nd single originally but Mary J. Blidge couldn't free up her schedule so he had to hurry up to shoot the "Party Starter" video 6 weeks ago, if it came out right away in the end of July the album would be doing much better at this point and we'd basically guaranteed to see "Tell Me Why" come out right after 'Pursuit Of Happiness' gets shot but the way things are going, "Tell Me Why" might be like "So Fresh" where Will's gonna have to pay for the video himself 'cause Interscope's being real cheap on him the way they're promoting this album.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol..dude..what makes u think they will release another video out for this album?  they havent even released party starter and they wont.

They'll release Party Starter. It would be highly ridiculous to have the video and not release it.

It happened to Nas, he was on 106 & Park when "Just Another Moment" was premiered sayin' that he shot a video for "U.B.R."(Unauthorized Biography Of Rakim) but it never came out 'cause "Street's Disciple" sales plummetted badly and Columbia bothered not to release it, I hope Nas leaves that label. :jada: I wouldn't be surprised if "Party Starter"'s video never comes out after last night, I'm not gettin' my hopes up anymore, the album's at the point where it's gonna take a big miracle to turn sales around, Will still has one of the top 5 sellin' rap albums this year so it didn't really flop that badly, I just hope Will releases "Tell Me Why" even if it's through DVD.

I can't believe that u guys are saying the beard is keeping things from happening. FP could shave it down 2 it's normal level and it would be back 2 that other length in about a week. Either way, there are special efx and make that could fix that. The bottom line is that something needs 2 happen now. Releasing the single 2 radio is doing nothing. I just think "Tell Me Why" is the way 2 go.

Should we be mad at interscope, or will ?

But isn't will of a big superstar and 1 of the richest guys that he simply

could do the things he wanted to ? is it that hard for him to talk to interscope

and order them to release it ?

Then I asked like, why not bring out 5 video clips in the course of 3 months,

well people said overbrook doesn't have that money, really ?

Just because of hitch they could make 50 videos, no kiddin.

For that movie they grossed 350 m + another almost 300+ dvd and rental,

and they can't put away 3-5 mil. dollars ?

I don't like 50 but he really knows his business, if will had came out with 5 songs for his album in 3 months, I am quite sure his album would have been a couple times platinum, would have sold a couple mill.

To make money, you gotta spend money.

I just feel that will smith isn't bothering about these stuff that much,

it's a shame quite frankly, such a great album, maybe his best going into the drain, just because of bad marketing.

Also, Tell Me Why would have been perfect in september,

but that ain't gonna happen.

Man, i think they should just put "Party Starter" on the back burner.  Autumn is in full swing.  Kids are back in school, the college campus is filled with huneyz, the sky is white, the weather is getting cooler (almost overnight), and vibe is just in the air.  2day is the 1st day i've bumped Lost + Found straight thru' without skipping from track 2 track.  I listened 2 "Tell Me Why" for the 1st time in awhile.  That September 11 stuff really came back 2 me when listening 2 it...the sniper stuff waz more powerful on my mind (since that also happened closer 2 this time...and cuz they caught him 5 minutes away from where i live), the annisversary of 2Pac and Jam Master Jay's murders are approaching.  Life just dosen't feel like a party.

I say they just get this "Tell Me Why" video off the ground and on the air...NOW.  "Party Starter" should come out after "Tell Me Why" runs it's course.  After all, "Tell Me Why" is a guarenteed hit where as "Party Starter" isn't guarenteed...since radio hasn't embrased it at all.  Hey, they did it with Aaliyah.  "More Than A Woman" waz done before "Rock The Boat" and they flipped their releases and it just felt right and also did her legacy better.

The party can wait if u ask me.

:word: I agree, too! As u said everybody's back in school now and some started to work, so we don't really need no party track anymore, no party starter, let's get Tell Me Why up 2 da charts, they should release this track now!... :word:

could do the things he wanted to ? is it that hard for him to talk to interscope

I don't like 50 but he really knows his business, if will had came out with 5 songs for his album in 3 months, I am quite sure his album would have been a couple times platinum, would have sold a couple mill.

it's a shame quite frankly, such a great album, maybe his best going into the drain, just because of bad marketing.

Even if Will releases 5 singles in 3 months that doesn't mean that the album would do 50 Cent numbers not 'cause he can't compete with 50 Cent but more people love gangsta rap, it's not like Kanye West is gonna outsell all the gangsta rappers either when his album drops today, but his album could draw more people 'cause it has a parental advisory label on it, nobody buys a clean rap album anymore. LL Cool J released 2 singles in 3 months but he still didn't go platinum either and they were both huge hits. 50 Cent released singles to radio without video for a while and they'd do well, there's no exuse for why "Party Starter" ain't in heavy rotation on radio at least until the video dropped, I'm sorry but the majority of the public doesn't like Will Smith as a rapper as much as we do anymore, Will could put all of his money into releasing the singles and he might end up with much less in the end if the album doesn't sell as much as he spent for it too. The album'd possibly be doing at least a lil' better than now but I don't think Will's really worried about selling a lot of albums at this point, he's sold a lot of albums in his career already, he's not 20 years old so he has nothin' to prove, this ain't Bow Wow we're talkin' about here, people should give him recognition for what he's did up to this point already, he won the 1st rap Grammy and sold millions up to this point, people should be talkin' about Will being a legend not just another average rapper on the charts, Will releases singles to express his art, I think he'll still release "Tell Me Why" if he really loves that song as much as he says he does. The bottomline is the movie industry treats Will with more respect than the music industry does, it doesn't make sense to me since he's been rapping longer than mostly any rapper's been living and has more albums released in his career than most too but that's the cold truth and the reason why Will's been releasing more movies over the last few years than albums, well even Public Enemy's album is getting delayed now and they're known as one of the top groups ever, none of the legends get respect anymore, it ain't just Will, even Rakim can't find a record deal. There's no resistance in playing his movie in every movie theater like there is resistance to play his songs on black radio, he likes to do things where he gets respect at and at this point I think he has a better chance in winning an Oscar than he does winning another Grammy 'cause he's known as one of the top actors out while the majority of the public think that all the gangsta rappers are better than Will, Will still has fanbase from his earlier movies too while the majority of fans from the JJFP days are gone, he promoted the hell outta "Code Red" and it still didn't sell not 'cause it wasn't good enough, hell many of us call it his best album, the public was more into gangsta rap at the time and ignored Will, most of the "Homebase" fans abandoned him then, well it's the same way still, this ain't his fault, blame the millions that love 50 Cent and diss Will, some of them used to be JJFP fans too.

Edited by bigted

Even if Will releases 5 singles in 3 months that doesn't mean that the album would do 50 Cent numbers not 'cause he can't compete with 50 Cent but more people love gangsta rap,

I've never said he'd do 50 cent kinda numbers ted.

And I don't think anyone can know that for sure cause will didn't do it.

Listen, it's been almost 5-6 months since the album release,

how many rappers, I don't care if this is gangsta rappers or any kinda

music singer, who sold 500k on only 1 single for a period of 5+ months.

If 1 singer can do it like this, I am quite sure with good marketing that album would

have sold a couple platinums, maybe 4, maybe 6, maybe even more then 50,

that's something we can't discuss about cause we don't know.

But 1 thing is for sure ted, if your album only gets to release 1 single for a

period of 6 months, and you still manage to sell 500k + (actually will achieved these numbers quite fast 3 months orso) then that's HUGE.

With good marketing it would have sold a couple platinum, and with

a good quantity of quality HIT songs in the album, you just can't go wrong.

Just cause the majority of the music industry loves gangsta rap,

doesn't equal to the fact that you can't outsell 50, or even be close to those kinda numbers, I for 1 strongly believe that with a strong marketing will smith's latest album L&F would have been multi platinum.

I rest my case

Even if Will releases 5 singles in 3 months that doesn't mean that the album would do 50 Cent numbers not 'cause he can't compete with 50 Cent but more people love gangsta rap, it's not like Kanye West is gonna outsell all the gangsta rappers either when his album drops today, but his album could draw more people 'cause it has a parental advisory label on it, nobody buys a clean rap album anymore. LL Cool J released 2 singles in 3 months but he still didn't go platinum either and they were both huge hits. 50 Cent released singles to radio without video for a while and they'd do well, there's no exuse for why "Party Starter" ain't in heavy rotation on radio at least until the video dropped, I'm sorry but the majority of the public doesn't like Will Smith as a rapper as much as we do anymore, Will could put all of his money into releasing the singles and he might end up with much less in the end if the album doesn't sell as much as he spent for it too. The album'd possibly be doing at least a lil' better than now but I don't think Will's really worried about selling a lot of albums at this point, he's sold a lot of albums in his career already, he's not 20 years old so he has nothin' to prove, this ain't Bow Wow we're talkin' about here, people should give him recognition for what he's did up to this point already, he won the 1st rap Grammy and sold millions up to this point, people should be talkin' about Will being a legend not just another average rapper on the charts, Will releases singles to express his art, I think he'll still release "Tell Me Why" if he really loves that song as much as he says he does. The bottomline is the movie industry treats Will with more respect than the music industry does, it doesn't make sense to me since he's been rapping longer than mostly any rapper's been living and has more albums released in his career than most too but that's the cold truth and the reason why Will's been releasing more movies over the last few years than albums, well even Public Enemy's album is getting delayed now and they're known as one of the top groups ever, none of the legends get respect anymore, it ain't just Will, even Rakim can't find a record deal. There's no resistance in playing his movie in every movie theater like there is resistance to play his songs on black radio, he likes to do things where he gets respect at and at this point I think he has a better chance in winning an Oscar than he does winning another Grammy 'cause he's known as one of the top actors out while the majority of the public think that all the gangsta rappers are better than Will, Will still has fanbase from his earlier movies too while the majority of fans from the JJFP days are gone, he promoted the hell outta "Code Red" and it still didn't sell not 'cause it wasn't good enough, hell many of us call it his best album, the public was more into gangsta rap at the time and ignored Will, most of the "Homebase" fans abandoned him then, well it's the same way still, this ain't his fault, blame the millions that love 50 Cent and diss Will, some of them used to be JJFP fans too.

:word: but it's so damn sad ...

Even if Will releases 5 singles in 3 months that doesn't mean that the album would do 50 Cent numbers not 'cause he can't compete with 50 Cent but more people love gangsta rap,

I've never said he'd do 50 cent kinda numbers ted.

And I don't think anyone can know that for sure cause will didn't do it.

Listen, it's been almost 5-6 months since the album release,

how many rappers, I don't care if this is gangsta rappers or any kinda

music singer, who sold 500k on only 1 single for a period of 5+ months.

If 1 singer can do it like this, I am quite sure with good marketing that album would

have sold a couple platinums, maybe 4, maybe 6, maybe even more then 50,

that's something we can't discuss about cause we don't know.

But 1 thing is for sure ted, if your album only gets to release 1 single for a

period of 6 months, and you still manage to sell 500k + (actually will achieved these numbers quite fast 3 months orso) then that's HUGE.

With good marketing it would have sold a couple platinum, and with

a good quantity of quality HIT songs in the album, you just can't go wrong.

Just cause the majority of the music industry loves gangsta rap,

doesn't equal to the fact that you can't outsell 50, or even be close to those kinda numbers, I for 1 strongly believe that with a strong marketing will smith's latest album L&F would have been multi platinum.

I rest my case

You don't realise all the hype the album had when it came out? It should've sold 500K the 1st week like all the gangsta rap albums do but people didn't want it like that, I think 50 Cent sold 900K the 1st week it was released, it's been 5 months since "Lost and Found" came out so that means it should be multi platinum already, he waited months to release singles for "Big Willie Style" and even did filming in between, less performances on TV too, he got married in between as well, and the album still did well 'cause Will was more popular then, he ain't that popular now in music and no matter what he does he still won't be sadly, I wish that he was still, don't get me wrong, but millions don't feel that way so it ain't happening. Will spent more months promoting "Lost and Found" than he does promoting movies 'cause people go out to see his movies right away but to get people to buy 'Lost and Found' is like pulling teeth. btw, what's so unique about 50 Cent's singles? They all sound like the same song to me, like Fat Joe said when he dissed him, "Is it just me or doesn't "Candy Shop" sound like "Magic Stick"?", he's not really releasing anything different for people to wanna buy the album, they're all club songs that ain't quality either, I think "Switch" is better than all of them, people just buy the album 'cause they like him, Will could release different types of songs from the album and still not many people might not wanna buy it 'cause they don't like him, people don't buy your music 'cause they like your single, people buy it 'cause of your image, Will did release different type singles for "Big Willie Style" but people liked him and were more open towards positive rap at the time of Biggie and Pac's deaths so they embraced Will then, but now people don't wanna buy an album that doesn't have curses in it since 99% of albums have parental advisory labels and all the ones that've outsold Will do have 'em, not many want hip-hop to go back to what it used to be like we do.

Edited by bigted