JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MTV's VMA's a Hip-Hop Insult

MissAshley

The BET Awards, gave us Will and Jada Pinkett Smith as hosts of the BET Awards,a truly class act; something hip-hop could be proud of.

BET takes some fall out from time to time for their music videos and some of the things that they do, but the BET Awards this year showed pure class.

Turn the clock forward and the MTV VMA’s air, what a depressing site.

Hours of an arrogant Diddy and some of the biggest waste of time that could have been aired. Not taking from any of the the artists because they all deserve to be there; but MTV has seen its days in the awards arena, unless it is because they tried to use hip-hop to sell an award show that covers many genres of music.

Diddy made a point of saying he does things with class and so on and so on, in typical ‘Diddy’ style.

Mid-way thru the show there was Biggie. No Tupac, no Big Pun, no Mac Dre. And to add insult to injury – Snoop doing a duet with Biggie. Sure some say Snoop is west but in recent years he has gone with the money and it is hard to tell where his loyalty lies; quite different than years gone by.

The violence against Rap mogul and CEO of Death Row Records Suge Knight the night before could have been a reason to pull that segment with Biggie.

Some main stream media outlets are already talking about a reemergence of the west coast - east coast ‘war’, and then Diddy makes sure that Biggie is rep’d at the MTV awards, just adds fuel to the fire. MTV should have recognized all or none.

The MTV VMA’s are different than the BET awards but these awards are really nothing hip-hop should be involved in.

One love would have been mentioning Biggie, Tupac, Eazy-E, Mac Dre, Big Pun and all the others that have been lost in the hip-hop culture.

Highlights of the evening would be Missy Elliot, Jamie Foxx, Mariah Carey and Luda, other than that hip-hop should give their awards back to MTV and say thanks but no thanks.

One mans opinion on a true waste of time. Next year MTV would do better to take time to find a host that perpetuates what hip-hop and music is really about if they want to go that way and use the hip-hop genre to ‘sell’ this award show.. Get a host that all the genres can relate to. Picking Diddy to get the hip-hop influence only worked for the younger kids because a lot of us didn’t fall for it and were very disappointed in the program.

I would have changed the station but as I am in the hip-hop and rap arena I had to watch and it was painful – at least. It really feels that MTV used hip-hop to sell this program – but I guess hip-hop is being used by everybody now days to sell almost everything.

*These are the views of staff member Westside, and do not necessarily reflect the views of this site or the other staff.

http://www.thuglifearmy.com/news/?id=1844

^makes some good points, there was too much "Diddy" he was trying too hard, I mean damn how much can you talk about yourself?

After watchin' that MTV Awards crap, I really get the intention that hip-hop is dead, sure that Hammer/Grandmaster Flash moment was sweet but all the other crap before and after that made you forget about that moment, it was also a lost opportunity for millions to see the message that Will had in "Party Starter", especially that important 3rd verse.

id have to say that you are a little too hard on the vmas. yes some of it was crap, but only in a hip hop sense. i enjoyed the show myself. i thought the biggie tribute was great. and having diddy as a host i thought wasnt bad either. you gotta remember mtv isnt all hip hop, its rock and all the other genres too. so of course its not gonna be BET.

I personally thought a lot of the BET Awards sucked too, Will and Jada's commentary was the only fun thing about it except for a couple other moments, to see the biggest representives of hip-hop are 50 Cent, Mike Jones, and The Game tells me that hip-hop is dead on the commercial aspect, the real hip-hop is under the radar.

Hip Hop wasn't insulted, because Hip Hop was not in attendance. Ok, the whole MC Hammer, Grand Master Flash was a tease. Let's face it, Miami isn't exactly the "home" of Hip Hop, no matter how U look at it. Hip Hop is a global culture, but still, that point is going to stand. Of course MTV is suppose to be a diverse show. There were days when they overlooked Rap Music themselves. The whole Biggie thing, I was accepting to. It's not exactly an anniversary or nothing, and it's Diddy, so how could it not be expected. And everything Diddy said in his intro was comedically lies. I barely watched the VMAs. And not even for Will's video.

Quite frankly, I am sick of all this talk and arguement and debate. It's getting tired.

That 50 Cent performance was an isult to Hip Hop...Why in the name of God did he have to perform! And then that **** Fat Joe comment...They are an insult to hip hop!

Kanye did his thing, but it was no way as good as the Fugees at the BET Awards!

Let's be real, almost everybody want's to be Hip Hop these days! And Hip Hop sells...end of story!

That 50 Cent performance was an isult to Hip Hop...Why in the name of God did he have to perform! And then that **** Fat Joe comment...They are an insult to hip hop!

Kanye did his thing, but it was no way as good as the Fugees at the BET Awards!

Let's be real, almost everybody want's to be Hip Hop these days! And Hip Hop sells...end of story!

3/4 of the performers and artists on the MTV show were hip-hop, not necessarily good hip-hop, but they're hip-hop, most of the albums that top the charts are hip-hop albums, which sorta isn't a good thing in a way 'cause there should be all varities out there for people, even hip-hop on the radio used to be diverse now it's all a continuation or maybe even a remix in some cases of the same song, the diversity of hip-hop lives under the radar like I stated earilier basically like it used to for a while when it came out and wasn't popular, fuq and I were having a discussion about that the other day.

Edited by bigted

I agree with Lerkot, hip-hop is sleeping, waiting to hear the second and third verses of Party Starter and Tell Me Why!

hip-hop is pop music now, 50 cent is just as hardcore as britney spears, honestly I have to say that hip-hop is making people softer than ever before; kinda like in friday when the father tells ice cube that he's afraid of getting an ass-whoopin'. that really is true, so many of the people I know compain like little girls (i.e. one of my friends yelled at me "I broke a nail." and I nearly slapped the piss out of him for that.) since when are "hardcore" hip-hop guys cry when they broke a nail?? I actually know girls who if they break a nail they tear the nail off of file it or something, not yell at you about it.

in conclusion 98% of hip-hop fans are SOFT

nuff said

I'm agree with Lerkot..hip-hop is sleepin'...and cristigolo, maybe 4 next year Will's gonna be nominated with party starter or tell me why, the big deal here is just...WHEN WE GONNA SEE THE VIDEO!...WILL IS DROPIN' AN OPORTUNITY TO RAISE AGAIN AS A SINGER!! COME ON WILL U CAN DO IT

I really didn't need the VMA's to tell me how bad hip-hop is right now. It may not be dead but it's definitely on life-support. It's all about the bottom line now and that bottom line is money. Hip-Hop started its death march when Dr. Dre's The Chronic was released in 1992. The Chronic was a classic album but what you had was a bunch of empty suits in boardrooms looking at $$$$ and a bunch of copycats selling their souls to get $$$$. Hip-Hop has been in dire straits ever since.

I remember the first time I heard Melle Mel's The Message. I remember the first time I heard I Ain't No Joke(can you name the artist?) or the first time I heard My Philosophy. These were songs with messages and they had meaning. Where's the meaning in Still Tippin'? What's the message in Outta Control?

It's all wack now. Hip-Hop doesn't move me anymore and it's sad because that's what I grew up listening to. I listen to more rock now than hip-hop. I want that love for hip-hop to come back but I don't think it will. I think it's going to die.

Edited by TopDawg14

I really didn't need the VMA's to tell me how bad hip-hop is right now.  It may not be dead but it's definitely on life-support.  It's all about the bottom line now and that bottom line is money.  Hip-Hop started its death march when Dr. Dre's The Chronic was released in 1992.  The Chronic was a classic album but what you had was a bunch of empty suits in boardrooms looking at $$$$ and a bunch of copycats selling their souls to get $$$$.  Hip-Hop has been in dire straits ever since.

I remember the first time I heard Marley Marl's The Message.  I remember the first time I heard I Ain't No Joke(can you name the artist?) or the first time I heard My Philosophy.  These were songs with messages and they had meaning.  Where's the meaning in Still Tippin'?  What's the message in Outta Control?

It's all wack now.  Hip-Hop doesn't move me anymore and it's sad because that's what I grew up listening to.  I listen to more rock now than hip-hop.  I want that love for hip-hop to come back but I don't think it will.  I think it's going to die.

Not so sure Marley Marl made any track called The Message hehe, but I know what you mean and defintely agree with what ure sayin