JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MTV's VMA's a Hip-Hop Insult

MissAshley

Hiphop aint dead, its just sleeping.

Hip Hop ain't dead, nor sleeping, it went underground! Face it, all the good acts are underground acts or on a indie label! Little Brother, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def...those cats are the truth! They ain't doing them 50 Cent numbers when it comes to selling albums, but they are making music that is real and pure! And underground cats like FuQ and the Brakes and all of us on the forum are making music because we love Hip Hop...Because WE ARE HIP HOP! And that's the problem these days, everybody wants to be Hip Hop! 'Look at me, I'm wearing white shoes, baggy pants and some chains, I most be Hip Hop now" That's how it goes! Back in the day, black folks wanted to be white, now every white kid wants to be a poor black guy who finds his way to the top with Hip Hop music!

I am so angry actually, maybe at myself.

Because will had the album to awaken hiphop, I am quite sure of this,

unfortunately it didn't get used to its potential

Then they have the nerve to say will's a commercial guy,

yea that's why with a hot album which most artist dont even have more then 2 strong tracks on, will had at least 6 high class songs on, he only released 1.

This album could been 6x platinum, no kiddin

what i don't understand iz rhat will said he's gonna put music on the first place but i don't see it happen

If more people bought the album when he came out he'd be able to be more into music but right now he gets the impression that the public just wants him to act and doesn't like his rapping anymore 'cause the public is into 50 Cent now, LL's starting to drift away from rapping too since "The Definition" didn't sell what it would've, he cancelled his tour and never went back once the album fell off the charts, now he's working on a drama series and a few movies. Will said that rappers shouldn't curse in their songs 6 years ago on the MTV awards and mostly everybody in the hip-hop industry dissed him for that so he ain't getting any respect for what he does in rapping, but his fans like us respect him for saying that. If the album was double platinum right now at this moment I bet he'd cancel filming 'Pursuit Of Happiness' and shoot another music video and do more appearances on TV too, but when your album is #141 on the charts, you can't expect shows to want him to come on to perform, even when he was performing on 106 & Park Free asked him about when his new movie was coming when he was talking about "Lost and Found", he ain't getting much respect at all so why should he keep on going out there to promote it? Look at it this way if you had a job that everybody was bothering you at the same time you had another job people respect you at where you could get a promotion, wouldn't you choose the job where you would get the promotion and not wanna work at the job where everybody was bothering you? Will has a great chance of winning an Oscar with this 'Pursuit Of Happiness' so I say why not go for it, it's not like he's gonna win a Grammy next year, wack rappers like 50 Cent and Eminem will probably win which is disrespectful for hip-hop but that's the way people want it right now. At this point if you didn't buy "Lost and Found" you're not a fan and Will's just doing this for his fans, if he had more loyal fans in music, I expect that he'd be releasing more albums faster and maybe would consider stop doing movies so often, look at Slick Rick he just goes out there and performs for his few fans and if he makes another album it'd be for those few fans, hip-hop is not a drug that you push for people to buy, it's a free art that you share with your fans, whether you have a big or small fanbase, Will went out and performed for his fans and I think that's what matters the most.

Edited by bigted

what i don't understand iz rhat will said he's gonna put music on the first place but i don't see it happen

I see what you mean man...i've got that same feeling!

To Ted, Will said that he would be doing music for like 6 months or so when Lost & Found came out! Why couldn't he have done it for a whole year? No movies, no nothing, just music...going on tour, making video's and some remixes! Putting your album out there and only releasing one single is not going to help you sell more records! People went out and bought the album because of Switch, if Party Starter was released in June/July people who didn't buy it when it dropped could have bought it then! And yeah, Will did some performances, but what did he do? He did Switch and Summertime everytime...please man, he had a new cd out with hot, fresh songs...he could have done Party Starter, I Wish I Made That and even Tell Me Why if he really wanted! Tell Me Why would have been perfect on Live 8! But once again he did Switch and Summertime! How the hell do you want people to buy your album if all you perform is the same old single? :shrug:

I see what you mean man...i've got that same feeling!

To Ted, Will said that he would be doing music for like 6 months or so when Lost & Found came out! Why couldn't he have done it for a whole year? No movies, no nothing, just music...going on tour, making video's and some remixes! Putting your album out there and only releasing one single is not going to help you sell more records! People went out and bought the album because of Switch, if Party Starter was released in June/July people who didn't buy it when it dropped could have bought it then! And yeah, Will did some performances, but what did he do? He did Switch and Summertime everytime...please man, he had a new cd out with hot, fresh songs...he could have done Party Starter, I Wish I Made That and even Tell Me Why if he really wanted! Tell Me Why would have been perfect on Live 8! But once again he did Switch and Summertime! How the hell do you want people to buy your album if all you perform is the same old single? :shrug:

Well doesn't 50 Cent's songs all sound the same, I don't get what would make so many people wanna buy his album? Common's doin' a lot of performances right now, set to go on tour, released a couple remixes along with his 2 singles, plus is set to release another video, so is he platinum yet either? Will could perform the whole album and some people would still not wanna hear buy it 'cause they love 50 Cent. I think the album should've sold more when it came out, it had a horrible 1st week, only 90K sold, it should've been gold the first week. Not that many people wanna see hip-hop back to the golden days, face it man.

I don't think Puffy's hosting waz that bad. The only thing that i thought waz really stupid waz his "performance." The dancers, the water, the special effects were all very cool...the probably waz, he wazn't even performing a song...ha ha. It waz just akward. I kinda liked some of the spontanious stuff he did.

MTV Awards have never been about Hip-Hop so i don't know why articles like this wanna complain. It's just an award show.

I don't think Puffy's hosting waz that bad.  The only thing that i thought waz really stupid waz his "performance."  The dancers, the water, the special effects were all very cool...the probably waz, he wazn't even performing a song...ha ha.  It waz just akward.  I kinda liked some of the spontanious stuff he did.

MTV Awards have never been about Hip-Hop so i don't know why articles like this wanna complain.  It's just an award show.

Thank you for going back on topic man, come on y'all we're already discussing about the "Lost and Found" situation on the Big Will forum, if anybody else talks about it here, I'll lock up this topic, thank you, I won't mention it no more here either, lol, the video didn't show, end of story. :daveuidiot:

What's the years that people refer to Hip Hop as "The Golden Age"? I forget it exactly. So I guess what we are in now is "The Platnium Age" (1999-???) What most 'rappers' are going for, will not earn them a place in Hip Hop. Maybe in the business world? Nope, not even that. Is anybody that's interviewing them, asking them the questions that need to be asked? It's all "Who Is Mike Jones?", "What's up with the beef between you and ___?", and "How are you rollin' tonight?". Occasionally we get a "Who did you grow up listening to?" Sometimes the answers may shock you becuz it's like 'How did this come into the picture of Hip Hop's Offspring?!?". On the Aftershow of the BET Awards, Mike Jones was asked about what Will Smith said. And to know how he replied, just mix a Houston accent (or wherever he's from) with Hank's friend on the 'King of the Hill' who stutters. And U pretty much know the answer. And G-Unit when they were interviewed during a MTV Segment, they were just oh so happy, like a family. 50 Cent: "Now everybody show your smiles and watches to the camera." I got such a warm feeling. It's like that pose was for me. Dare I say, ask them if they were exposed to this and that aspect of Hip Hop. Whether or not they're faking such an image, they should be able to answer yes or no. If they weren't, I can understand. But if there are hustlers and all that around you making mad money, then surely in those people car is some Hip Hop/Rap. Don't matter who the artist is. Or maybe they truly know nothing about it til they walk thru those executive doors. Who knows? But somebody needs to ask them. It's not like they've heard it time and time again becuz they are too busy wrapped up in themselves and everything current. Surely enuff tho, we will get the answers we are looking for.

i think this applys to the whole rap is different discussion.

mos def- fear not of man

If you can hear me ladies and gentlemen

then I'm very happy that you came here..

Ooh-ooooooooooohhhh, ooh-ooooooooooooooohh-WHEEEEE!!!

That was for Brooklyn..

Ha ha, we get it everytime

You got me on? Ohh

Shout out to all of my crew, East-West, North-South

All the continent, Europe, all abroad international

Bring it in, bring it in, bring it in, bring it in

It's a lot of things goin on y'all

21st century is comin

20th century almost done

A lot of things have changed

A lot of things have not, mainly us

We gon' get it together right? I believe that

Listen.. people be askin me all the time,

"Yo Mos, what's gettin ready to happen with Hip-Hop?"

(Where do you think Hip-Hop is goin?)

I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop?

Whatever's happening with us"

If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out

If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright

People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside

comin down to visit the townspeople

We +are+ Hip-Hop

Me, you, everybody, we are Hip-Hop

So Hip-Hop is goin where we goin

So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop is goin

ask yourself.. where am I goin? How am I doin?

Til you get a clear idea

So.. if Hip-Hop is about the people

and the.. Hip-Hop won't get better until the people get better

then how do people get better? (Hmmmm...)

Well, from my understanding people get better

when they start to understand that, they are valuable

And they not valuable because they got a whole lot of money

or cause somebody, think they sexy

but they valuable caause they been created by God

And God, makes you valuable

And whether or not you, recognize that value is one thing

You got a lot of socities and governments

tryin to be God, wishin that they were God

They wanna create satellites and cameras everywhere

and make you think they got the all-seein eye

Eh.. I guess The Last Poets wasn't, too far off

when they said that certain people got a God Complex

What's the years that people refer to Hip Hop as "The Golden Age"? I forget it exactly. So I guess what we are in now is "The Platnium Age" (1999-???) What most 'rappers' are going for, will not earn them a place in Hip Hop. Maybe in the business world? Nope, not even that...

I think the "The Golden Age" was from 1980-1993, it started with "Rapper's Delight" and after "The Chronic" came out things started going downhill, it wasn't Dr. Dre's fault 'cause it's a dope album but other great albums and mcs that came out at that time started to get overshadowed: the popularity of JJFP, Run-Dmc, Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Slick Rick, and KRS-ONE started to die, that's why JJFP's "Code Red" and Slick Rick's "The Ruler" get overlooked when talkin' about classic albums at that time, only the gangsta rappers like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and 2Pac would get the most recognition, not that they weren't dope then, it was just the fact that the hip-hop game started becoming one dimensional and it wasn't "The Golden Age" where every rapper was accepted for their own styles, now I'd call "The Dark Age" since Pac and Biggie died 'cause I think basically everything popular from then to now will be forgotten years ahead while "The Golden Age" hip-hop will stand the test of time, you could buy an album from 15 years ago and still relate to it but you buy an album from last year now and it sounds outdated so don't trip so hard if "Lost and Found" doesn't outsell 50's "The Massacre" 'cause I think 10 years people'll like us who bought "Lost and Found" look back and say "damn I remember the way I felt back in 2005 when I heard it for the 1st time and it really touched my soul, I gotta throw it on right now for the 10000 time 'cause it still feels like the 1st time" while those who bought "The Massacre" will forget that they ever heard it 'cause it's just a phase in their life now that they'll gradually get over but real hip-hop lives forever.

Edited by bigted