JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

you still think lost and found is wills best album

Hero1

Everytime I listen to the Born 2 Reign title track, I wonder what happened to the rest of the album... Will must have been saving it for Lost and Found.

so do i man. "Born To Reign" was a huge letdown. Jeff makes Will. I'm sorry but its true. When it comes to making music, from the slick production to the lyrics, those two together can't be touched. Will's beats were average, you can't compare them to what you hear on Willenium. Why? Cause Jeff made them. I think Willenium is FP's best album as a solo..however, his best album of all-time is no doubt the ever-so-underrated Code Red.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is with "Born To Reign" it had some nice production, I mean I'll take that production over "Lost and Found" anyday, it was just a lil' bit too much Tra-Knox and not enough Will, it was more like a Tra-Knox featuring Will Smith type of album, too much of an experiment, it had a few good moments but too much of a stretch from what he usually does, Will should've just took more time to make the album 'cause I think some of the verses on there sound so simple like he rushed for it to come out, Slick Rick releases albums like every 5 years and they're very good, great stuff sometime takes more time, a lot of rappers making albums every year don't seem to put much focus on it, Will really was on the grind making movies at that time too where it seemed to take energy out in the focus of making "Born To Reign", that's the consequence of being a hard working entertainer, not enough time in a day to do everything at once, he could've used some of those beats to compliment the rhymes of "Lost and Found" and take Tra-Knox off the album and have them release their own album instead where he'll spit a verse on one of their songs, and in the meantime he could've done guest appearances on soundtracks to his own movies, added the "Born To Reign" song to "The Magnificent" album and he could've kicked Diddy's ass to put him on the BB2 soundtrack and that would've held me over for 6 years! :daveuidiot: :lol: Every artist has always done something that they might wish they could've done differently, especially when they've been out a long time, I'm sure Will wishes he would've done things differently for "Born To Reign" which he indicated on "Lost and Found", it's like in sports when you lose a championship, you train harder and come back the next season to championship form if you're great and that's what Will's done, he was lost but he found himself and got his swagga back, now he just needs more of Jazzy Jeff again to.. :rockon:

Edited by bigted

Musically it had an r&b sound to it, I guess if you ain't that much into r&b you wouldn't feel it.

Y'all don't like the beats for "Act Like You Know", "I Can't Stop", "1000 Kisses", "Willow Is A Player", "How Da Beat Goes", "Block Party", or "I Gotta Go Home"? :stickpoke: This might be the best produced solo album after "Willenium" hands down, I like those beats better than "Lost and Found"'s beats, I think it's the best work Trackmasters have ever done for Will, LES actually stepped his game up on Nas' "Street's Disciple" album as well 'cause that got some nice soul beats too except Nas actually ripped them well and sounded motivated, y'all would like them better if Will actually rapped over them instead of singin' wit Tra-Knox, don't front, lyrically it's Will's worst ever besides "And In This Corner..." which was also another rushed album, I listen to songs though for lyrics mostly, if the lyrics ain't good, I might as well just buy the instrumental version and rap over the beats myself, y'all would really trash the beats on "Lost and Found" more if Will didn't spit the way he did, his voice overpowered the beats. Will rapping without Jazzy Jeff production though is sorta like Guru without DJ Premiere, I heard people trashing his solo album 'cause they think the beats are awful and Guru seemed unmotivated without Premiere.

Edited by bigted

i dont know why you all spit on and kick B2R, i still believe its a great album! not the best but still a great one, be honest, who still listens to it? i do, especially those songs big ted mentioned, plus "momma knows" and "give me tonight".

"Born To Reign" is a good album, now if you really wanna hear an awful album, listen to albums on the charts, Will at his worst is better than 90% of the rap game or else he really ain't the best. :ShockRifle: I think a lot of the early JJFP get slept on 'cause they need to be remastered, "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" is easily Will's and Jeff's best work, they haven't had as much chemistry as they had on that had on that album, like that post AJ made months ago we need to get a campaign to get Jive to re-release the JJFP albums, they sold around 10 million albums on that label, I don't see why they can't re-release them?! :daveuidiot: People diss The Roots too since they started having more of a rock sound to their albums but I'll take them over G Unit anyday too, I think the experimental albums that Outkast and Common did are good too, not their norm but as long as it's good music I dig it, I rather see rappers experimenting than doing the same trash most of the time, but these are great mcs so what they do they shouldn't change, I think most of that commercial trash I wouldn't even call music though.

Edited by bigted

Born 2 Reign is simply not as good as any of the other solo albums, especially Lost and Found... I don't think there's much of an argument there.

Production was wack, lyrics were mediocre, album was rushed...

I still think Will at his worst is better than 50 Cent and Nelly at their best, don't you? That "Born To Reign" verse was the best verse spit by any rapper that year, Will could throw up on rest of the album and he still sounds better than wack rappers, he gave us "Lost and Found" just now and solidified that he's the greatest, I still think the JJFP albums define his career though.

Edited by bigted

Born 2 Reign is simply not as good as any of the other solo albums, especially Lost and Found... I don't think there's much of an argument there.

Production was wack, lyrics were mediocre, album was rushed...

I still think Will at his worst is better than 50 Cent and Nelly at their best, don't you? That "Born To Reign" verse was the best verse spit by any rapper that year, Will could throw up on rest of the album and he still sounds better than wack rappers.

That doesn't make the album good. A wack album is better than a wacker album. That doesn't make the wack album good all of a sudden.

I didn't read any of the previous posts in this topic...but i never thought Lost + Found waz FP's best solo album. I've always thought it waz very different from Big Willie Style...but just a lil' bit better than BWS. Lost + Found still can't touch Willennium.