JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What is "Ms. Holy Roller" about?

alaxy75

• Members

Hey guys..

I'm from Austria, so my English is not the best.. and it's not enough to understand all of Will's tracks. I really would appreciate it if someone could tell me in some sentences what "Ms. Holy Roller" is about.. and by the way.. what's IS a Holy Roller??!

• Members

its about his ex-wife i believe, he just changed her name to "michelle" for the song. its about how she's found jesus and thinks she's holier than thou now that she has. she thinks she's above everyone else because she's religious now and whoever doesn't share the same opinions she does is evil. will is just reminding her that yeah, its cool you've found god, but what about the 34 years prior to you finding him when you were living like a savage and cheating and having multiple men live with you and taking me to court for money you don't deserve, etc.... that's probably the deepest song on the album.

wow thanks :) i didn't expect an answer in such a short time!

but what is a Holy Roller? roller?

A Holy Roller is someone who is so dogmatic in their religious beliefs, they look down on others who are not as strong in their faith or who do not share their faith. They seem to believe that they are better, holier and more righteous than others, but more than just thinking it, they behave and speak in a way to demonstrate it. There's a sense of arrogance and pride around someone like that rather than the humbleness that salvation should evoke...

• Members

Ms. Holy Roler has got to be my favorite on this album. I have been in Will's position many times before, with people telling me I'm going to hell because I am into pop culture. And, most of these people are those who woke up on day and said, "ahh, I'm saved." (that quote was meant to be sarcastic). I feel like Will took a trip inside my mind and pulled out the words to this song. He said everything just right. I just wish he made this a long time ago. I'm glad someone finally had the courage to write a song that spits in the faces of these 'bible thumpers.'

BTW, I don't think it's the deepest song on the album. I think Tell Me Why is deeper. But, it's all a matter of opinion.

Edited by Summertime

hold up! i dont think its about his ex-wife, they are supposed to be on very good terms! arent they?

yeah we've had this conversation b4, and that's what i was saying but it seemed like most people choose to ignore the previous stated facts that Will and his ex-wife talk and visit each other on holidays. i don't think Will is the type of person to do such an outrageous thing to his wife. i think it's just about an old friend of his

I think we said the song might be about Ready Rock C too if I'm not mistaken, he just said "ms." to disguise that.

• Admin

its not his ex-wife.. her name aint michelle i dont know where people got that..

the ready rock c thing did cross my mind..especially with the "bleeding me with your lawyers line.." that could definitely be applied to ready rock