JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

So whats stoping Will from starting a record label

^Any thoughts or opinions?

Why can't Will sign his friends Slick Rick, Public Enemy, or Big Daddy Kane then? He needs to build the label with legends to knock G Unit Records out of the game! Please Will stop doing movies and focus on this, you got the money to save hip-hop, other legends are broke and need your help! :lolsign: I'm just playin', he could still do movies, but he should get a staff together to help build the label while he's shootin' films or get Jazzy to do it for him, and Slick Rick ain't broke, he just doesn't have 300 million like he does to start his own label. I think "Overbrook" should merge with "Touch Of Jazz" too, there's no need to be seperate, JJFP forever! It's pitiful that he's had this label for almost a decade and hasn't even released an album yet except his own! :damnlorettas:

Edited by bigted

Well, during Willennium, FP waz concentrating more on music. Overbrooke waz a lil' more active then and he had Tra-Knox and Breeze as new artists, but he also signed MC Lyte. But since Overbrook lost their distribution deal, he let those artists go free and do what they wanted. If Overbrook gets more "hands on" i think he can do that kinda stuff.

I don't think Overbrook needs 2 merge with A Touch of Jazz tho.' They are 2 totally different labels, and unless Jazzy wants 2 take things that way, it's just not necessary. ATOJ is a very unique label and Jazzy wants 2 keep it that way, that's why things never worked out Columbia cuz his personal views controdicted with Columbia's.

Jazzy Jeff releases a lot of dope stuff on Touch Of Jazz but a lot of it doesn't get the recognition it'd if Will promoted it on Overbrook 'cause Jazzy ain't popular. How could Overbrook lose it's distribution deal, Will's the richest man in hip-hop and has more money than some major record labels have I'm sure, even Talib Kweli's starting a record label, it doesn't cost that much to start one, Will could really make an impact if he worked on Overbrook the way he does with his movies, that'd clean the game up! I think Will would be better off distributing his albums himself instead of Interscope doing it since they're giving him such crap promotion, money's a big part of the hip-hop game and the rappers who pay the most money to promote their albums the better they do, so why not Will getting quality rappers on his label promoted to help clean up the pollution on the air? I wouldn't mind seeing Slick Rick do at least Memphis Bleek numbers selling around 300,000 copies.

Edited by bigted

I think LL was planning on starting a gospel-rap label but "The Definition" didn't sell that much so he's now more into acting, who could blame him? Hopefully LL's next album does better so he could consider starting it again. The artists gotta watch out for themselves too even though they might wanna be generous to their friends 'cause MC Hammer went bankrupt signing all of his friends to the payroll back in the days.

I think LL was planning on starting a gospel-rap label but "The Definition" didn't sell that much so he's now more into acting, who could blame him? Hopefully LL's next album does better so he could consider starting it again.  The artists gotta watch out for themselves too even though they might wanna be generous to their friends 'cause MC Hammer went bankrupt signing all of his friends to the payroll back in the days.

LL allready started a Label back in the 90`s`as far as i know..That stood in his book "Phenomenom"!

I think LL was planning on starting a gospel-rap label but "The Definition" didn't sell that much so he's now more into acting, who could blame him? Hopefully LL's next album does better so he could consider starting it again.  The artists gotta watch out for themselves too even though they might wanna be generous to their friends 'cause MC Hammer went bankrupt signing all of his friends to the payroll back in the days.

LL allready started a Label back in the 90`s`as far as i know..That stood in his book "Phenomenom"!

He has had "Rock The Bells" for quite a few years too named after his classic song just like Will's "Overbrook" which is named after Will's high school, but I think it just a publishing distributor of his albums through Def Jam so that he'll have the hands on in promoting his albums.

Edited by bigted

He has had "Rock The Bells" for quite a few years too named after his classic song just like Will's "Overbrook" which is named after Will's high school, but I think it just a publishing distributor of his albums through Def Jam so that he'll have the hands on in promoting his albums.

Oh ok..Thanks for explayning! :azzangel:

Yeah, LL has Rock The Bells and in the late 90's he had Illeon. I actually forget the spelling, but it's pronounced 'ill-EEE-on.' He had a cool male R-N-B group Amyth on the roster. For some reason i'm thinking they sung on Willennium. Some check the check the credits cuz i'm 2 lazy 2 run upstairs...ha ha. I think they sung on "No More."