JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Late Registration Review

Frenetic

OMG.

Right here it is:

1. Heard em Say 9,5/10 - Over a wonderful pianobeat and a wonderful singing by Adam Levine kanye starts off the album with a breathtaking verse and beat. You'll be like :mygod:

2. Touch the sky 9,5/10 - A happy song about the life in the top. Not a nasty song about bling bling.. more about how grateful he is. Incredible verse by lupe fiasco. Beat done by Just Blaze samples curtis mayfield.

3. Golddigger 7,5/10 - The worst song in the album. After a couple of listens it grows on you.. but still.

4. Drive Slow 9,5/10 - Increddible slow down, beat. Paul wall is good, Kanye West shows how good of a rapper he is on this.

5. My Way Home 9/10 - Would've been better with kanye on it.. But Common kills it too on his solo song over a incredible beat. another song that you'll be like :mygod: what a beat!

6. Crack Music 9,5/10 - This the banger! Political rap about the crack that the goverment put in the streets to control the black people. Game drops some help on the hook. Nothing more.

7. Roses 10/10 - OMG...about the hospital policys and american medical situation. Starts with a acapella about him wanting to visit his grandma in the hostpital but ain't allowed. This is a song.. that like.. makes you cry.. it's sad..but also cry cuz it's so good.

"You know the best medicine goes to the people that is paid/

If Magic Johnson got a cure for AIDS/

And then all the broke muh****ers passed away/

U tellin me if my grandmother would be in the NBA, she would be Okay?/

but since she just a secretary workin for church for 30 years

u saying things should just stop right here?/

My grandpa tryin to pull it together.. he stroong!/

That's were me confidence comes from/

Asked the nurse if she done some research/

But she asked me if u could sign her T-shirt/

8. Bring me down 9,5/10 - Would've been a ten if not his firstt verse wouldn't been reused from a talib song. Brandy got the song in her hands and is like crushing it with her voice. incredible.

9. Addicition 10/10 - The Girlsong, he's addicted by a girl. And the song makes me addicted.. only one real verse.. but .. omg.

10. Diamonds rmx 9/10 - The difference in Jay's and Kanye's verse takes it down . Good beat, good verses even tough they don't make sense together. The very, very good verse takes it up though.

11. We Major 10/10 - This beat is one of the best he's done. Nas is hot as hell, Really Doe does a good job on the hook, a REALLY good job. Kanyes verse is really good. The last 2-3 minutes are incredible with a singer going off and the beat just showing off.

12. Hey Mama 10/10 - Remastererd with some editing... And it's even better. Sounds more solid. Icredible lyrics. Amreicans citizens will see him performing this for his mom on Oprah in a couple of weeks.

13. Celebration 9,5/10 - A song about just celebrating, forget your problems.. cause we gon celebrate... Beat is fun and just happy.

14. Gone 10/10 - Man...what the hell is it with Kanye and incredible beats. This album is just ... damn! Song with camron and consequense. Kidna bragging song, but not with that usual hiphop attitude. Camron drops fire, shoudl get beaten for saying this but he outshines every other rapper on the track.

15. Diamonds are forever 9/10 - The original song about the Roc with really good lyrics and beat.

16. Late 10/10 - Couldn't have had a better ending. It sums up the album in a whole.. conscious, fun lyrics, incredible beat.

Album in Whole - 9,3/10

summary - Golddigger and Diamonds rmx stops the album from being a ten. Now please..please..listen to this: This will mark Kanye Place as a legend. Cause with time... this album will be a classic. It's better than college dropout.

Some rates of albums this year:

The game - Documntary 8/10

The Massacre - 3/10

Common - Be 9/10

Will Smith - Lost And Found 8,9/10

It's been a good year.. Me putting wills album in third place, just a microscopical bit under Common, shows how good it's been really.

I just editet it... my first review was much Hype... this is my review after several listenings.

Edited by Frenetic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Common does also a line about his former drug addiction..."horse got me Trapped Like R.Kell"

You can tell your a Kanye fan mate anyway so i wont take this review to much to heart. Still you make good points about each song

I'm as much that as Will Smith fan... that didn't stop us from doing very good reviews.

Thanks for the review, I'll definately check out the leak and see it for myself, I personally think that the "Diamonds Remix" is a lot better than the original even though it didn't completely make sense either at least it was more listenable I'd rate the remix 9/10 and the original 7/10, some of that review might of been from hype too of just hearing it for the 1st time 'cause some of us after hearing "Lost and Found" for the first time were sayin' that every track was great when there's really a couple songs that ain't.

Edited by bigted

Let's chill with the "legend" talk. He's only been doing this stuff for 2 years. And personally, the new stuff i've heard isn't cutting it. And i after buying his 1st album, i never listen 2 it.

Let's chill with the "legend" talk.  He's only been doing this stuff for 2 years.  And personally, the new stuff i've heard isn't cutting it.  And i after buying his 1st album, i never listen 2 it.

There are people feeling the same way about Nas. But Nas is also a Legend. Kanye ain't on Nas level yet, but def on his way to it. Cause he has now done Two very, very solid albums that are critically aclaimed by both audience, fans and critics. He sells alot, he has influence. He's basically another solid album from being one of the twenty biggest ever done it. Right now he's just behind them.

Two years..? College dropout came put for more than a year ago... He started rapping 2001, he started producin way back with D-Dot.

:iagree: to what AJ said, I haven't listened to "College Dropout" in quite a few months now, I'd just consider that a lil' bit above average album, if I was to judge your review there for "Late Registration" I'd think it's the greatest rap album of all time 'cause even "Raising Hell", "Illmatic", "Mama Said Knock You Out", "It Takes A Nation Of Millions...", "Paid In Full", and "Code Red" had one or 2 tracks that'd be ranked around an 8 and only had about 3 or 4 tracks that'd be ranked a 10, with everything else being around 8.5-9.5, your entitled to your opinion but 2 albums don't make you a legend, maybe 10 years from now if we're still talkin' about those albums then maybe we could say that, since people still talk about Nas' 1st 2 albums in 2005, it's hard to compare artists from different eras though, if Kanye could knock 50 Cent out the game then he'd be a legend!

Edited by bigted

Big: Well ur right about the hype.. but the thing is.. i feel these tracks more than i felt wills new tracks. And i was hyped as hell then. It feels more solid.. it feels really, really like a fresh breath in hiphop. Again.

Let's chill with the "legend" talk.  He's only been doing this stuff for 2 years.  And personally, the new stuff i've heard isn't cutting it.  And i after buying his 1st album, i never listen 2 it.

:lolsign: AJ dude he has been producing beats since like 96' or 97', He is a legend in hip hop and if you don't like it. Ah well nothing we can do. Kanye will be the next legend in hip hop because his stuff is real. And how can't you listen to his "College Droupout" Album that to me became an instand classic. Sorry for the way you feel

And Frentic, Thanks for the review I'm def. gonna pick up this album. :rockon:

I don't know what it is about the way Kanye raps. At one time, it's a turn on to listen. Other times, it's a turn off to. If I do get Kanye's album, I don't think I'll spend my hard earned money on it. He's always been an artist that was just around for me. I never really followed his whole hype.

As far as Kanye being a legend, I won't make U regret saying that. It's in fact the people who give that title to artists. As big as a fan of Nas as I am, I really don't consider him a legend. Legend seems to be a title given out to easy these days, not to mention too soon. Or maybe "Legend" is defined differently for different music genres.

Legend or not, I love the 2 tracks I've downloaded from Kanye's new album. :switch: "Heard em Say" has a really smooth instrumental made with the guy from Maroon 5, and the rap's a pretty well done, thoughtful piece. And then there's "Touch the Sky," which I think is very comparable to Will's Big Willie Style stuff. A funk sample, rhymes about his road to success. And I really love the end of the track, when he starts chanting, "I'm, I'm sky high! I'm, I'm sky high!" :ithinkimkanye: Tim, is it possible to have that play whenever someone reads my posts? Because it needs to happen. And when I instant message someone on AOL, it'd be sweet if I could hook it up so it'd start playing there too. But enough of my deluded ramblings... I'm lookin foward to hearing the rest of Kanye's new material. :dope:

It seems like mostly everybody that posts over on the okayplayer board is a Kanye West fan but when they had a voting for the 25 greatest hip-hop albums of all-time, only like 2 people mentioned Kanye West's "College Dropout", I was the only one to mention "Code Red" and "He's The DJ...", but their ain't as many Will Smith fans posting there like there are Kanye West fans, even his fans are realistic about that album, there's only a handful of peeps that you could consider a legend and Nas is sorta questionable himself to me and he's been in the game for 10 years, he's one of my favorites too, but when I think of legend I think of Run-Dmc, Kurtis Blow, Sugar Hill Gang, Slick Rick, JJFP, Rakim, LL Cool J, Queen Latifah, 2Pac, Public Enemy, NWA, and KRS-ONE 'cause basically every great rapper comin' along follows what they've done and no matter what they do now their legacy is set already, they transcended the game and a step above everybody else, and as far as mc'ing and producing Kanye might be ranked with Dr. Dre as a phenominal producer and an average lyricist, honestly though hip-hop is gonna have to be like 50-60 years old before we could really see who's made the most influence, like KRS once said: "50 years down the line you could start this/'cause then we'll be the ol' school artists", let's slow down the legend talk and just enjoy the music.

Edited by bigted