JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Anybody else surprised Will sold 600k so far?

• Members

I mean, in todays rap game where nobody really sells records except for maybe 4 or 5 artists, it was a pleasent surprise to see a dude like Will, who's been around for decades now get a plaque, especially considering his type of rap isn't exactly whats "hot". if black radio just gives party starter a chance I think Will could claw his way to platinum, or damn close to it. that would be something.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Especially since this album is A HUGE step up from Born To Reign.

Yeah, I'm not really surprised that the album got to 600k. I was expecting it to do better by this point. It is a great achievement, but it is also a big step up from Born 2 Reign that it isn't much of a surprise.

its actually a dissapointment for me, im my head, i was imagining like at least 3 singles would have been dropped by now, and at least platinum by now, so im very dissapointed. Im not sure why but Will doesnt get decent promotion by Interscope, which really pisses me off...

It's a lil' dissapointing to not see Will at the top of the charts since I'm a fan but in perspective there's a lot of rappers like Fat Joe, Memphis Bleek, and Cassidy that'd love to be selling 600,000 since their albums are floppin' badly, 600,000 is respectable for today's standards of the rap game but no doubt I wish it was doin' "Big Willie Style" numbers 'cause this deserves to be called one of Will's best albums and not be underrated like "Code Red", most rappers on their 9th album or more are barely sellin' 100,000 except for LL Cool J, so this is an accomplishment.

Edited by bigted

Before album came out, I was worried because Born To Reign flopped, but from what I had heard I had some hope. Once I heard the album, I thought, this thing has got to go platinum. Unfortunately, due to some poor promotion, it has not reached that, and is dropping steadily. In order to reach platinum, the Party Starter video needs to drop, and Tell Me Why needs to come soon, too. Hopefully, Party Starter can get onto black radio, that would really help, too.

i'm not really surprised to see sales hit 600k. he did that easily with Willennium and BWS. granted, we're a good 7 years from those days, i knew once i heard some of the interviews and stuff that Will was coming hard with this album. i knew it wasn't gonna be a flop like Born To Reign. i'm not really surprised it did 600k because it deserves that. unfortunately the chances of going platinum are getting smaller every day.

• Members

i think Will should be more proud about goin gold+ in todays rap game then selling 9 million off Big Willie Style. When he made that album he was in his prime and the rap game was so much more Pop sounding, he was in his comfort zone then, not to mention he was his label's hottest artist. But today, you got Eminem, 50 Cent, G-Unit, The Game, etc..... all on Interscope Records. The biggest artist, Eminem, doesn't like Will (maybe that has something to do with the lack of promotion????). Plus the rap game is all about negativity today, everbodys a hustler and a thug. So for Will to be able to get a plaque, with all that stuff against him, is a HUGE acheivement. Not to mention the album is very good. I'd bump this album before Big Willie Style ANYDAY, and I like BWS. Will deserves more respect than he gets in this game, alot more.

Its respectable, and almost twice the amount B2R sold already with hope of more sales soon. I think we'll reach that 1mil figure at some point aslong as Party Starter & Tell Me Why get a reasonable push.