JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

WILL SMITH

Guest lambertj3

I remember LL Cool J (who admitted 2 having a jacked up deal with Def Jam....from 1985 when he waz a nobody) said that touring is strictly about making money and persuading at least one person 2 buy your album. Touring is one thing where the artist can definitly take the whple thing in2 their own hands. In 2002, Will waz out there dressing like he wanted, performing "Summertime" and thinking about that stripped down tour with Jeff. U think Columbia had anything 2 do with that?!?! YEAH RIGHT!!

If someone ever wants a good dose how money is in the music industry, watch VH-1's 1st Behind The Music special on TLC. In it, Left Eye breaks it down in detailed facts how a group can sell 10 million albums (CraZySeXyCOOl) and file for bankruptsy....it's amazing.

• Admin
even when jazzy jeff and fresh prince sold millions of records in the 80s they didnt make money.. they made all their money from that phone line they set up where you would ring to get info about jjfp.. theygot millions of calls to that and made a bundle :werd:

However, respectable sales are kinda important. For instance, the music award shows that are totally focused on the quality of music and not sales, media hype, etc, can't have music up 4 awards if they have no success at all. Without a lil' success, they don't get considered. Touring goes the same (tho' some established groups/artists don't have 2 worry about that). If u don't have a succesfull album...not many people are gonna come out 2 support some no-name artist.

That's not waz the biz is like these days 4 big labels. It's multi-platnium or u get dropped. Ain't nothing wrong with barely going gold, but that's looked down on these days. In Hip-Hop/Rap, there seems 2 be a popular trend of the lower quality of music, the higher sales u get.

Guest lambertj3
the money in the record sales go to the record company first the artist may not get much which is sad but they do get something, besides touring how else they going to eat? what if they injured(britney spears , christina agulera, jessica simpson) the artist still get a paycheck(however small) in the mail

• 2 weeks later...
[quote=lambertj3,Jun 17 2004, 07:20 AM]I found this on pop dirt .com what do you guys think of this article?[/quote]
I think it'z exactly where it came from. Poop dirt. Oh, I'm sorry, pop dirt. I read it wrong.

U know, this makes me question my own intentions of becoming a famous music artist. This world is so so not right. The quality of Will's music is great. Both 4 what it was, and what it is. (especially when u listen 2 an old album again) There R all kinds of music, and different ways 2 present it. But people choose "This" or "That" kind because it'z most appealing to people, or seems so. Now we seem to have 2 much of the same thing. Nobody's use to being different. I guess money does rule the world. It's either an extreme maker or breaker. More than likely, it'z a breaker because of those around someone. The way the world is, is such a fueling topic. We question 2 much. We don't LIVE enuff. Music really does suck.

What was I talking about?!?!?!???? ^^

I'm Trippin.

That's why a lot of music artists go broke, the record company executives, whose names we never hear of have more dough than the artists believe it or not. The only why Big Will has so much cake is 'cause he does movies and he gets paid a hell lot more than he does as an MC, why do you think so many music artists are trying to act these days. :werd: Ultimately though, it's not fair to those who go to acting school for many years and they get snubbed by a platinum rapper who never studied acting before until now. If you wanna be in the music buisiness, you'll be more successful as an executive than you would as an artist, even though not many people would know your name, you won't have to worry about going broke. Edited by bigted