JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

WILL SMITH

Guest lambertj3

Guest lambertj3
[quote]With his last album bombing, The Sun reports Sony has dropped Will Smith from his record deal. The label thinks that at 34 he’s too old to appeal to kids. "It doesn’t matter how big a star is, if they don’t sell records they get dropped — simple," declared an industry insider. "Will has had a lot of success selling records but that time has passed. People aren’t interested in him as a musician any more. He is big in movies and has obviously sold a lot of records on the back of that, but the demand for his rap projects has dried up[/quote] I found this on pop dirt .com what do you guys think of this article? it was posted in jan i think i just happened to be going through the will smith articles on the site and came across it what do yall think? is this article right? Edited by lambertj3

It has been there 4 a pretty long time.
i have read it b4.
When peeps see Will being funny in movies, they think that he doesn't take music
seriusly nomore.
I've played some Will Smith songs to my friends and they weren't expecting him to be serius.

peeps just don't know Will nomore

First of all, Sony didn't drop Will Smith. His deal with Sony was up and it was Will who didn't want to renew with Sony. Second, the industry is messed up right now because it's not about talent; it's about who can do whatever is necessary to sell records. Will has integrity and he's not going to sell out to sell records.

I don't think his rap prospects have dried up but rather the music industry is dried up and tired.

[quote=the real big willie,Jun 17 2004, 01:06 PM]At the end of the day, Wills fans sill love him and what he does.................and that is all that matters.
Screw what everyone else thinks.[/quote]
:werd: They're all just haters, Will Smith's not washed up, those critics who diss him ain't as successful as he has been, they're waiting for his downfall but it ain't happenin'! :cussing:

That waz the 1st break we read in Will's departure from Columbia. It's not accurate tho'....like posted above, Columbia and Will weren't happy with each other. That's why the crappy Greatest Hits album waz put out...2 fulfill their contract and have no legal problems. This article came out 2 Januarys ago.

That article is garbage tho'...what ever Sony PR said that is full of crap, yet it shows how Columbia is. That say he dosen't appeal 2 kids...well, who said Will ever wanted 2 appeal 2 kids. Will isn't making kids music here...just cuz he makes respectable music without cussing and gritty details about the darker things in life dosen't mean he's making music 4 children. Will just makes music cuz he loves it and dosen't discriminate 2 who can relate 2 it.

Columbia has turned in2 a label where your talent means nothing, your creative mind means nothing, your art means nothing...only your ability 2 make them money on your own means something 2 them. The second u have a success-lacking video/single, etc....they ignore u until u fall off the label.

Will is a multi-faced artist who can do something simple yet deep like "The Rain"...then do a radio-friendly dance track like "Miami." If somebody thinks Will's music career starts with "Men In Black" and ends with "Miami" then they are fools who fell in 2 Columbia's plan of making Will the ultimate, non-threatening, un-creative rapper ever. I remember reading a comment from Will in an interview where he talked about being off Columbia and there was a dash of disliking towards them. I waz happy 2 read that cuz it totally shows that Will waz tired of the "Hollywood Rapper" thing and that he felt his music career suffered with them...cuz it did.

We are about 2 witness a new chapter in his music career.

[quote=lambertj3,Jun 17 2004, 05:36 PM]excuse me for saying this but columbia records seems full of sh&% to do will like that[/quote]
It's not just Will. Sony has dropped Michael Jackson, Jazzy Jeff, Mariah Carey, Lauryn Hill and Wyclef. They didn't even think enough of Alicia Keys to sign her. Columbia is a wasteland for real artists... just ask dead prez.

Definately a good move for Will to be off Columbia and i think this will be proven when his next album drops!!

I really believe the quality of songs are going to be so much better! There's nothing like having [b]100%[/b] creative control!!

Columbia and Sony have tons of unhappy artists and artists who have been dropped or crappaly pushed off the label.....Will, Mariah Carey, Jon B, Michael Jackson, Wyclef, Jermain Dupri, Mandy Moore, Ruff Endz, and his So So Def, etc. If they are so worried about success and money, why don't they try 2 make and maintain carreers of their artists?!?! They don't care...period.

They have 2 be suffering. Think about it...how can u make artists like Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Will Smith, Wyclef, Lauryn Hill, etc.?!?! They are some of the biggest and most influential artists of modern times and they are busy making them mad...and untimatly using them. Don't they feel stupid after awhile that they can make a multi-million-selling artist sell less than expected and then lose them..sometimes by choice.

• Members
why should they care?
You guys dont get it do you, OFCOURSE they only care about money the only way w will ever get past dat is if we go from : Artist-->Record Label-->The people!!
to
Artist-->The people!!

this could be possible by letting youre album be downloaded from youre website.
(the ARTIST dont make money from record sales!!(just a couple of cents) just the record labels the artists make money from touring and advertising and such.) Edited by Daedalus Mortality

• Admin
music is a creative form..it is art.. if all record companies are interested in is making $$$ then surely the art will suffer..nad thats exactly whats happened and why we got so much crap music out right now.. all my fav artists have suffered at the hand of record labels..and the only artists who are doin it successfully is hieroglyphics..they all got dropped from their record labels..so they started their own and went independant..they sell 120, 000 independant and are gettin $7 a record so they are makin serious dough... independant is the way 2 go...