JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

amazon.com guide i found

sonic1988

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guide...2185214-8772058

I found this guide and the title is

"So you'd like to... Understand what hip-hop was before the fake over!"

I decided to look at it and I'm honestly disgusted by it!!!

this person does have some good choices like run dmc- tougher than leather and de la soul- 3 feet high and rising

but this person put in alot of music that caused the fakeover!!! (i.e. death certificate-ice cube) I have to say that this person put in way to much gangsta rap that was fake and I really don't care that this person didn't put in JJFP at all, but what really fries me is that this person didn't even put in the people who first made it big with rap and that's the sugarhill gang!!!

I would just like to know if you agree or disagree with my opinions or the guide.

Well, These are ALBUMS that did big before, as he puts it "THE FAKEOVER" (Which isn't Gangsta Rap, i'm pretty sure he's talking about todays current status)

Just because it's a more agressice, hardcore album doesn't immediately make it bad. And Sugar Hill gang did a lot with their one single, but not an Album as a whole.

in a technical point of view that ice cube album and nwa and stuff without that hiphop wouldnt be anything... the state now is different from the state back then they was different generes of hiphop there was your gangstas ya party people ya story tellers and everything from krs1-nwa which is why hiphop was alright for anybody everybody choes a different place... now its one in the same thing except some albums here and there

Well back in the days gangsta rap actually had a message to it but now it's just ignorance and there's no variety anymore, I think that's what that guy's referring to, everybody's rapping about cars, hoes, and guns now on the most part except for a few, back then it was cool whether you were making a party rap album, a conscious rap album, or a gangsta rap album but now if you make a party rap album or a conscious rap album you're called soft 'cause everybody's supposed to be a hard gangsta, to me gangsta rap is wack now 'cause they ain't really putting no messages in it anymore.

Edited by bigted

Well back in the days gangsta rap actually had a message to it but now it's just ignorance and there's no variety anymore, I think that's what that guy's referring to, everybody's rapping about cars, hoes, and guns now on the most part except for a few, back then it was cool whether you were making a party rap album, a conscious rap album, or a gangsta rap album but now if you make a party rap album or a conscious rap album you're called soft 'cause everybody's supposed to be a hard gangsta, to me gangsta rap is wack now 'cause they ain't really putting no messages in it anymore.

:word: So true.

On a related note, here's somebody on amazon showin' love to JJFP's "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" and "Homebase" on his all-time album list, this guy got good taste on the mostpart I'd say! :1-say-yes: :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listm...8735170-5881508

I think anyone can come up with a good list.

If someone came to you asking what hip-hop albums they have to have, what albums would you suggest? Here's what I'd suggest:

Run-DMC - Tougher Than Leather

Run-DMC - Raising Hell

JJFP - He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper

PE - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

LL Cool J - Bigger & Deffer

Kool Moe Dee - How Ya Like Me Now

De La Soul - Stakes Is High

The Fugees - The Score

PE - Fear Of A Black Planet

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill