JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JJFP influential

"Rémy Recognizes: Director Hype Williams has teamed with cognac brand Rémy Martin 1738 to help recognize the 1,738 most influential songs in black music. Williams is on a 20-date tour sponsored by the liquor company to provide exposure for the titles on the "Toast to 1738" list.

It is a new role for Williams, who is best-known for directing colorful videos for the likes of Puff Daddy, Jay- Z and Ja Rule, in addition to the feature film "Belly," starring Nas, Method Man and DMX, among others.

The 1,738-song list was compiled by Williams, the Rhythm & Blues Foundation and the Jazz Alliance International. Its hip-hop section features acts from 2 Live Crew and Digable Planets to 50 Cent and OutKast.

"We wanted to give people some songs that really helped to reflect history," Williams says. "The tour is basically a collaboration between myself and Rémy the brand to give thanks to the cognac that myself and my friends have embraced over the years."

The list has no special order, but three JJFP songs are in it:

Here We Go Again

Summertime

Parents Just Don't Understand

Haha.. the list ain't that bad actuallt. Alot of people get the recognition they deserve.

A lot of awesome songs on this list! :kool:

It's all good, I wonder why Here We Go Again was included?

They should've put "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" since it was more popular but I guess that would be Hype Williams bias since he directed the video.

They should've put "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" since it was more popular but I guess that would be Hype Williams bias since he directed the video.

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It wasn't a JJFP song tho, so maybe that's why...

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It wasn't a JJFP song tho, so maybe that's why...

Yeah they didn't put any Will Smith tracks on there, figures, "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and "Men In Black" were as big of hits as "Mo Money Mo Problems" and "Been Around The World" though at that time and they mentioned them, well at least they mentioned JJFP, "Ring My Bell" and "I Think I Could Beat Mike Tyson" were bigger hits than "Here We Go Again" too if you were gonna mention another JJFP track.

It ain't only about the hits.

Well they should've put "The Rain" on there then, that was an influential track, on the most part it's a great list but when you have a big list like that there's always gonna be debate on what you shoulda left out or put in.

Edited by bigted