JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Access Hollywood

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was wack, they spent most of the time talking about Will hanging out with Tom Cruise, go figure, lol, it seems like the media always talks about his acting career more than his music career, he deserves more credit as an mc than what he gets, I wouldn't mind if Will and Tom did a movie together but damn why couldn't they talk more about the "Party Starter" video?  I thought that's why he was on there for!  :mad:

I do agree with you .. but you have to look at it from the point of view of in the last few years, will has joined the 20 million a film club, been oscar nominated and all films have gone number 1 all over the world and made lots of $$$ and £££ ( :rofl: ), and as much as the music deserved to be mentioned, he's always gonna be asked about the movies

Aight since you wanna open up this debate again, I just wanna ask you why can't many independent artists get on TV to perform then if it's free to perform? The same goes for independent actors too, they ain't allowed to go on Regis to be interviewed so nobody goes to see their movie, everyone deserves a chance.

The reason independent artists don't appear on television as much is pretty simple... 2 reasons...

Independent artists usually aren't as well know and unfortunately don't generate as much interest as artists who are on labels, largely because artists on labels have had huge financial backing for their projects in the past. For example, if you were hosting a television show about hip hop, and you had a choice between inviting Lil Bow Wow or KRS-ONE to make an appearance... in the interest of viewership, who would you choose? Be Honest. Lil Bow Wow just has more of a fanbase, so it's more likely that your viewership would be high with a well known name, regardless of how ridiculous a choice it would be. That has nothing to do with Lil Bow Wow's financial backers putting up money for him be on your show and KRS-ONE not having that.

Independent artists also don't have the kind of connections that artists on labels have. Kel Spencer can't call up BET and say, hey, I want to be on 106 and Park... but artists who have managers, people in their labels, as well as artists who are influential and well known have that ability. Diddy can call up anyone on BET and say, hey, I have a new video, I need to get on 106 and Park... and it will happen.

Connections and influence... You have to remember... the artists aren't the only ones benefiting from appearances on television. Television programs will, in general, gain more viewership the better known an better connected an artist is. Their looking out for their interests and the popularity of their shows...

Also... now and then, someone doing something independently will get some acclaim if what they have done is truely outstanding... Look at the Blair Witch Project... how much financial backing did that have? Yet when that movie came out, it was everywhere and the actors and directors were on every television show imaginable...

Edited by MaxFly

That was wack, they spent most of the time talking about Will hanging out with Tom Cruise, go figure, lol, it seems like the media always talks about his acting career more than his music career, he deserves more credit as an mc than what he gets, I wouldn't mind if Will and Tom did a movie together but damn why couldn't they talk more about the "Party Starter" video?  I thought that's why he was on there for!  :mad:

I do agree with you .. but you have to look at it from the point of view of in the last few years, will has joined the 20 million a film club, been oscar nominated and all films have gone number 1 all over the world and made lots of $$$ and £££ ( :rofl: ), and as much as the music deserved to be mentioned, he's always gonna be asked about the movies

I have to agree. I just see it as a part of how things are...

Look at Mos Def. He originally wanted to be an actor and he's been trying very hard to get good parts and to do well as an actor, but eveywhere he goes, some one asks him about his next music project.

• Admin

but if Will is promoting the music and they ask him about movies and NOT MUSIC thats just disrespect...

like when free on 106 & Park says to Will so whats your next movie.. Will had to say "I got things to say..im dedicating next 6-8 months to music..and this is on a damn music show! may be expected but I dont have to like it :mad: ooh and there goes maxfly bolding words again :lolsign:

MaxFly is right once again. like he said, Will benefits from appearing on that show, and that show benefits from him appearing on it. it works out evenly. however, independent artists aren't going to gain the kind of "viewing audience" that Will is, so it's a gain for the artist to appear on that show, but it's not a gain for that kind of show. besides, why would access hollywood invite KRS-One to do a segment on him when they could choose Will Smith? it's all about mainstream and familiar faces these days. the underground never gets mentioned, and i don't think it's so much of a money issue as MaxFly has previously stated.

I guess you are right Maxfly, I didn't think about it that way, if Will's acting career didn't take off he wouldn't be on Access Hollywood even though he won the 1st rap Grammy, that's why De La Soul or KRS-ONE doesn't get the love they deserve either by the media even though they're rap pioneers 'cause it's all about being relevant now, not the past. :thumbsdown:

well that clip was actually more about the video than the one they played on the current episode of TVOne Access, but yeah they hyped that up too much for it to be overshadowed by "TomKat".....maybe next mths. episode of TVOne will have a better interview, i'd say it was bad editing on their part to go to the set of a MUSIC video and talk about MOVIES....let's just hope the video airs soon

I didn't see it, but it sounds as if they talked about much music. While I understand it is his acting that probably got him on this show, and they will want to discuss it, a certain amount of emphasis should be placed towards the music. For gods sakes, the man was a rapper before he was an actor. Nevertheless, it is good promotion for the single, even if they didn't include much about it. I do remember when Will was on 106 & Park and Free just wanted to know about his next movie. Did she forget he was rapping for years before he became an actor? It is just frustrating for me, that's all.

• Admin

I didn't see it, but it sounds as if they talked about much music.  While I understand it is his acting that probably got him on this show, and they will want to discuss it, a certain amount of emphasis should be placed towards the music.  For gods sakes, the man was a rapper before he was an actor.  Nevertheless, it is good promotion for the single, even if they didn't include much about it.  I do remember when Will was on 106 & Park and Free just wanted to know about his next movie.  Did she forget he was rapping for years before he became an actor?  It is just frustrating for me, that's all.

:yeahthat:

your right it is disrespect towards will cause he wants to do the music then he gets asked about movies he probly like what the hell.. i came here for music and got movies

thats like asking for a bigmac at mcdonalds and getting a kids meal

• Members

Incidentally... this is Access Hollywood guys, so I wouldn't read too much into the fact that they talk about Tom Cruise and allude to Will's movie career. When's the last time you've seen Mike Jones or Lil Jon on Access Hollywood?

That's true. Will right now to the commercial market is more of a big Hollywood superstar than a rapper. That's why when Access Hollywood does these sort of programs, they are the one who will benefit more because more audience would tune in to watch Will talk about collaborating with Tom Cruise, which is obviously a bigger news to the world-wide audience who are fans of Will, the Men In Black star than Will, the guy who recorded Code Red.

I didn't see it, but it sounds as if they talked about much music.  While I understand it is his acting that probably got him on this show, and they will want to discuss it, a certain amount of emphasis should be placed towards the music.  For gods sakes, the man was a rapper before he was an actor.  Nevertheless, it is good promotion for the single, even if they didn't include much about it.  I do remember when Will was on 106 & Park and Free just wanted to know about his next movie.  Did she forget he was rapping for years before he became an actor?  It is just frustrating for me, that's all.

Yeah, I think people see Will more as an actor now than a rapper. Stemming from the Fresh Prince days, he's been heavily invested in acting, and the rapping has fallen by the wayside to some degree. In truth, a lot of this new generation isn't old enough to remember that he was a rapper first, but as Tim said, even though it's expected, that doesn't mean you have to like it, and especially on a music show like 106 and Park...

I think that it also serves to lessen Will's credibility as a rapper. When he's doing an interview for music, and the interviewer asks him about movies, those who are watching are again reminded that he's an actor, and a number of things will go through their minds; "He's just another actor trying to rap. "The only reason he's doing well is because he's a big movie star."

Some people are so narrowminded that in looking for reasons to dislike his music, they'll seize on stuff like this to bolster their bias.

But I can see the other side of the coin as well. Being the biggest movie star on the planet is a big thing. Just look at the number of rumored projects there have been in the Willywood forum. The fact that people would ask the biggest movie star in the world about his next movie isn't surprising... It's sort of a problem Will has created for himself because he has become so successful in film. He's pretty much on par with Denzel, Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise in payment status... Dude almost won an oscar... I can't be mad that Access Hollywood is going to ask about his movie carreer... that's what their viewers are interested in. But I'm glad they focused on Party Starter for the 42 seconds that they did.

Edited by MaxFly

Well his movies are more popular than his music now, it's like if you ain't high on the charts the media don't talk about you, if "Lost and Found" was in the top 10 right now I bet they would've talked about "Party Starter" longer last night, that's why most of the public might not talk about Will as an mc and they talk about 50 Cent all day, but if they don't even talk about him, they sure the hell won't acknowledge any other ol' school rapper out there still 'cause he's the most popular one from that era except for LL but "Lost and Found" has basically outsold "The Definition" already, well at least Will gets acknowledged for somethin' and I think his popularity in music would be even less now if it wasn't for his movie career since he wouldn't be on the "Today Show" or "Access Hollywood", it seems like movie fanbases are more loyal than music fanbases too, I mean if 'Wild Wild West' could be #1, why couldn't "Born To Reign" have gone to #1? The quality in his music I'd say is as strong as the quality in his movies, but since the movies are more popular than the music people automatically say his movies are better than his music which is just as ignorant as saying Ja Rule is better than KRS-ONE since he sells more than him and Eminem is a rap god since he's the highest selling now, there's a lot of crap movies that go #1 too and a lot of good movies that flop, I ain't talkin' about Will's though, I wish one of his movies would flop though just so they could focus more on his music like they do with LL since most of movies flop, lol, I think LL's acting skills are underappreciated but I guess you can't win them all.

Edited by bigted