NBA News..

Vipa

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RIP, my thoughts go out to his family and teammates.

Allan Houston's retiring:

Allan Houston to announce retirement Monday

ESPN.com news services

Two-time All-Star Allan Houston is to announce his retirement from the Knicks at an afternoon news conference Monday.

Houston, who appeared in just 70 games over the past two seasons due to chronic knee pain, wanted to test his knee in training camp this year before deciding whether to retire. The shooting guard wasn't participating in the full workload of two-a-days his teammates were running, but had been encouraged by early results.

Houston, considered the Knicks' best player a few years back, hasn't consistently displayed the smooth shooting stroke that earned him more than $150 million worth of contracts over a 12-year NBA career.

Chronic knee soreness ended Houston's season Jan. 19, causing him to miss New York's final 44 games, and he averaged only 11.9 points while shooting 41 percent from the field -- his lowest numbers since his rookie season of 1993-94.

Houston's last good year came in 2002-03 when he averaged a career-high 22.5 points.

Houston, 34, played the last nine of his 12 seasons in the NBA with the Knicks. He posted a career average of 17.3 points per game, and a career-playoff average of 19.3 points in 63 postseason appearances.

He was to earn $40 million over the final two years of his contract. Houston was the last player remaining from the Knicks' team that reached the NBA Finals in 1999.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

He could've made that decision 3 months ago and saved the Knicks cap room if he announced he was retiring around the time they release him, maybe they were hoping he'd have a comeback year like Grant Hill though and make the all-star team.

Vlade Divac retires now:

Divac ends 16-year NBA career, gets new job with Lakers

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer

October 18, 2005

AP - Oct 18, 4:49 pm EDT

More Photos

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Vlade Divac ended his 16-year NBA playing career Tuesday, easing into a new job with the Los Angeles Lakers as a liaison and scout in Europe.

The Lakers bought out Divac's contract for $2 million. The 37-year-old center had back surgery in January, and played in 15 games last season, averaging 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds.

``I didn't have fun anymore with the injury I had,'' he said. ``If I didn't have fun, I wouldn't play my best.''

The Lakers could have picked up a one-year, $5.4 million option on the 7-foot-1, 260-pounder or put him on waivers.

Divac said he had seriously considered playing this season, ``but I couldn't find the ride that would take me there.''

He had career averages of 11.9 points and 8.3 rebounds in 15 previous seasons -- seven with the Lakers, two with Charlotte and six with Sacramento.

``I'm happy today,'' said Divac, who sat next to his wife, Ana. ``When I look back, it was a wonderful career. It was a great ride for me.''

He joined centers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Hakeem Olajuwon as the only players in NBA history to get 13,000 points, 9,000 rebounds, 3,000 assists and 1,500 blocked shots.

Divac was one of the first Europeans to have a major impact in the NBA. He was drafted by the Lakers in 1989, after playing in the former Yugoslavia's top league for five years.

Asked the difference between his life then and now, Divac joked, ``I don't drive Yugo anymore, I drive Porsche.''

He helped Yugoslavia to silver medals at the 1988 and 1996 Olympics, and led the country now known as Serbia-Montenegro to a gold medal at the 2002 world championships.

``We tried to open the door for other guys,'' he said. ``When I came in the NBA, it was more a U.S. game. Now you can watch the NBA anywhere in the world.''

In his new job, Divac will report directly to general manager Mitch Kupchak, who plans to use him to evaluate European talent, scout on the West Coast and participate in pre-draft meetings.

``He brings a lot to the organization that benefits him and us,'' Kupchak said. ``It's not a far-fetched concept that Vlade could be a front office person or even a coach someday.''

Divac and his wife have two sons, ages 14 and 11, and a 7-year-old daughter.

``I never thought this day was going to come so quickly,'' he said. ``I'm sure my life after basketball is, hopefully, going to be even better.''

Yeah Vlade Divac sucked, the Hornets have probably been kicking themselves for years that they traded away Kobe Bryant when they drafted him in '96 for Vlade Divac, they probably would still be in Charlotte and went to the NBA Finals if they kept Kobe.

Yeah Vlade Divac sucked, the Hornets have probably been kicking themselves for years that they traded away Kobe Bryant when they drafted him in '96 for Vlade Divac, they probably would still be in Charlotte and went to the NBA Finals if they kept Kobe.

Kobe wanted to go to LA. He idolized Magic and Charlotte picked him at 13, so they didn't think much about giving him away. They thought Vlade would have been able to help them immediately... I can't blame them... but in hindsight... ouch.

Well, True, but i'm sure they still regret it...

Kind of Like, Portland picking Bowie over jordan. Bowie was a good big man, but injuries held him down, and portland had Drexler, so why take a chance on another 2 Guard..well...I'm sure Portland wants that pick back.

Well, True, but i'm sure they still regret it...

Kind of Like, Portland picking Bowie over jordan. Bowie was a good big man, but injuries held him down, and portland had Drexler, so why take a chance on another 2 Guard..well...I'm sure Portland wants that pick back.

The Sam Bowie pick was possibly the worst draft pick to date in the history of basketball. Not to say that Sam Bowie was a horrible player... but over Jordan... Sigh... Portland definitely wants a do-over.

• Members

If you are not a true Knicks fan Like I am then you can't appreciate how important of a player and person Allan Houston was to the Knicks and my life. Now you people who want to talk about his contract tell me right now that you would not have taken that money whether you think you deserved it or not. If you say yes your a got damn lie.It's true he'll only be remembered for his hefty contract but I'll remember him as one of the Greatest pure shooters the game has ever seen. He is the fourth leading scorer in New York Knicks history behind Patrick Ewing, Walt "Clyde" Frazier, and Earl "the pearl" Monroe pretty select company don't you think. He is second on the Knicks all-time in three point field goals made behind John Starks.

In 2002 he had his best season Avering 22.5 points per game. 39 percent from three. And led the league with 91 percent from the free throw line.He was the only player to be in the top twenty in Points per game, free throw percent, and three point percent. Not to mention his 53 point performance against Kobe and the Lakers and his 50 point effort against the bucks.

And the person, Isiah Thomas said he was the second most classiest individual besides David Robinson. It was supposed to be his day but on the darkest hour of his life he gathered the teammates and staff together and said a prayer for Jim Dolan the teams owner who was having heart surgery. That goes to show the kind of man Allan Houston was putting someone elses life before his in prayer. And for the people who say he should have retired a long time ago, sure but how many don't hang it up when they should their love for their sport and playing the game kind of clouds there thinking and they hung on a little too long.

And of course the infamous runner to defeat the Miami Heat with five seconds left and the Knicks went to the finals. They lost to the Spurs of course.Greg Poppavich said in the huddle what sums up the kind of player Allan Houston should be remembered for. "When we double team Houston we have to do it quicker we can live with anyone else shooting but not him"

Yes that's what Allan Houston should be remembered for One of the greatest shooters, but one the greatest people the game has ever seen guys like you Allan are dime a dozen.Have a great life I love you man, hope the Knicks raise your jersey at the garden. :1-say-yes: and bye the way he was the last player of the Patrick Ewing era of the Knicks.

Edited by Eminem ill too

After awhile all of Van Gundy's assistant coaches are gonna be ex-Knicks, 1st Ewing, now Charlie Ward, who's next Allan Houston? lol

btw, I missed the Michael Jordan interview on 60 minutes so I found the text of it, here it is for those who missed it like me:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/19/...ain955628.shtml