NBA News..

Vipa

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zo plays for the Heat not the Raptors anymore, he actually didn't play one game for the Raptors, I thought they waived him before he signed to the Heat but they got so many big guys on the Heat now I wonder if he'll even make the team this year.

Anyway here's this article I found on all the moves made in the NBA yesterday:

NBA Teams Clean House Under 'Amnesty' Rule

By STEPHEN HAWKINS

AP Sports Writer

DALLAS - Michael Finley would still be with the Dallas Mavericks if they could have acted with their hearts. Instead, they had to make the right financial decision.

The Mavericks were one of 18 teams to take advantage of a one-time chance to escape luxury tax obligations for any single contract on their books, waiving their captain just before the deadline late Monday night. Dallas owes Finley $51.8 million over the next three seasons.

"This is the hardest part of our business," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations. "We were trying to come up with some creative ways to still have financial freedom and somehow keep Mike. There was no way around the situation. ... There's no question that it's been a very difficult process for the franchise."

Teams had until Monday to take the amnesty option that was part of six-year collective bargaining agreement agreed to earlier this summer by the league and the players' union.

In all, 18 teams saved more than $212 million in future tax payments by waiving players.

Dallas, by far, reaped the most savings by releasing 10-year veteran Finley. The Los Angeles Lakers saved $29.7 million over the next two seasons by releasing Brian Grant, who was expected to sign Tuesday with Phoenix, and the New York Knicks avoid $23.1 in luxury taxes over three seasons for forward Jerome Williams.

Under terms of the rule, players who were waived will still be paid by their former teams and cannot re-sign with them until their current contracts have expired. They also get whatever money from contracts with new teams.

The Mavericks avoid a dollar-for-dollar tax on Finley's $15.9 million salary for the 2005-06 season. The two-time All-Star is due $17.3 million and $18.6 million over the final two seasons of the $102.2 million, seven-year contract owner Mark Cuban gave him in 2001.

"Just what he's meant on and off the court, he's impacted everyone from fans to the front office," Nelson said. "Ultimately, it's our responsibility to do what's in the best interest of the Dallas Mavericks, but Michael has a special place in Mark's heart, my heart, and a special place in the franchise. At the end of the day, this just feels right."

Finley was traded to Dallas from Phoenix on Dec. 26, 1996, and was the longest-tenured player for the Mavericks. He averaged 19.8 points for the Mavs in 626 games the past 8 1/2 seasons, when they went from being one of the NBA's worst teams to five straight 50-win seasons and playoff appearances.

The Knicks had been expected to release Allan Houston, who played only 20 games last season due to chronic knee soreness. The amnesty provision had even been called the "Allan Houston Rule" by some.

But Houston's close ties with Knicks owner James Dolan of Cablevision, along with incoming coach Larry Brown's history of coaching Houston with the 2000 U.S. Olympic team, helped factor into the decision for him to remain on the roster.

New York could also get luxury tax and salary cap relief while also having Houston's $40 salary paid by insurance if his knee injury prevents him from returning.

"I was prepared for (being waived)," Houston said. "You have to be. The team has made changes already in preparation for me not being there, and I understand that. But I still believe I can play."

Among others let go Monday were Fred Hoiberg of Minnesota, Ron Mercer of New Jersey, Calvin Booth of Milwaukee, Troy Bell of Memphis and Clarence Weatherspoon of Houston.

Several teams made moves to clear tax obligations for players who left their rosters long ago. They included Alonzo Mourning (Toronto), Vin Baker (Boston), Derrick Coleman (Detroit), Wesley Person (Miami), Eddie Robinson (Chicago) and Howard Eisley (Phoenix).

Players previously released under the amnesty program included Doug Christie (Orlando), who appears a likely replacement for Finley in Dallas, Aaron McKie (Philadelphia) and Derek Anderson (Portland).

Teams whose payrolls exceed $61.7 million for the upcoming season will have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on the overage. Among them are the Indiana Pacers, who waived retired guard Reggie Miller to save $6 million in luxury tax costs.

"In my conversations with Reggie, it is clear he will not play next year," Pacers president Donnie Walsh said. "I've spoken with Reggie, and he is fine with it. This will go down as his final assist."

:interesting: It doesn't make sense why the Knicks kept him, they could've used that money to sign some free agents with some value or at least save the cap room, they released Patrick Ewing a few years ago before he retired in Orlando so I don't get why they'd let Houston finish his career with them, he ain't a franchise player like that.

Lakers have agreed to terms with Aaron McKie, who will be their starting PG (as of right now). 2 years, 5 million. Fits in with Mitch Kupchak's 2007 plan. He plans to save up and go for a bit name FA w/ only Kobe and Lamar Odom on the pay roll. McKie also fits Phil Jackson's triangle offense well (big guard). Seems too old to play heavy minutes though, Lakers should go after another PG via free agency or trade.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/n...ack=1&cset=true

Derek Anderson will sign with Houston. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/21/sports/b...ball/21nba.html

Edited by kbfprince

I don't know why the Knicks didn't get rid of Houston, he is always injured, he hasn't done anything for them. I am hoping Miami uses their 5 million mid-level exception to grab Michael Finley, that would be sweet.

I saw on ESPN earlier today that Finley plans to sign with the Heat, I called it yesterday, this is great, there is no stopping M-I-A this year.

The Bulls signed Malik Allen, it's not the move I was hoping for but at least they finally did something to help the frontcourt so they won't have to play the aging Antonio Davis so much, as long as they re-sign Chandler and Curry they'll be fine:

"Bulls agree to terms with Allen

August 24, 2005

BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter Advertisement

The Bulls achieved one of their offseason goals Tuesday by coming to a contract agreement with veteran forward Malik Allen.

The 6-10, 255-pound Allen has averaged seven points and 3.9 rebounds in four NBA seasons. He played 22 games for the Charlotte Bobcats in 2004-05 after spending his first three-plus seasons with the Miami Heat.

"One of the things we wanted to do is add some depth to our front line,'' Bulls general manager John Paxson said. "We still want to add one more piece there.''

Though there had been talk that the Bulls also were interested in signing free agent Tom Gugliotta, it appears the injury-plagued 35-year-old -- who made $2.7 million last season with the Atlanta Hawks -- is not headed to Chicago. Still, the Bulls would like to add a player with Gugliotta's size (6-10, 240) and shooting ability as more frontcourt insurance.

Insuring center Eddy Curry has proved problematic since the restricted free agent's heart problems surfaced last season. The league's carrier has declined coverage, which has delayed the Bulls and Curry from coming to terms on a new contract.

''There's still some uncertainty with Eddy's situation, but we know he's going to be back with us in some form or fashion,'' Paxson said. ''We have been working closely with his agent, Leon Rose, to see if there is a way to get something done.''

It's possible Curry will play for the $5.14 million qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Paxson said he is ''working through some things'' with Jeffrey Schwartz, the agent for forward Tyson Chandler. Also a restricted free agent, Chandler is seeking a six-year contract worth upward of $60 million.

As for Allen, 27, his signing is expected to take some pressure off power forward Antonio Davis.

''A.D. and the role he fills is still so valuable to us,'' Paxson said. ''But at 36, we don't want to put too much mileage on him if it isn't necessary.''

Paxson said he was looking to add a player who ''could knock down perimeter shots.'' Allen, who scored a career-high 23 points against the Bulls on Jan. 18, 2003, is known for his accurate post-up jumper."

Rockets C Dikembe Mutumbo signed a 2 year extension with the Rockets and expects to retire after that, not big news, but there had been no replies in a while.

It does look as if the Heat getting Michael Finley wasn't such a sure bet, it still hasn't happened, but I'm still optimistic.